graddy

Super Mario Maker

Ha ha, thanks guys.

I just played my friend Shaggy's level and it made me literally Laugh Out Loud - give it a whirl:

GANONDORF'S APARTMENT HUNT

DA6D-0000-0063-DD0A

Question for the community: just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the assets for the New Super Mario tileset/art style are actually 3D assets, or simply  rendered sprites of 3D assets (ala donkey kong country)?  There's something about the way they look that makes me think they're not actually 3D.

Also: I was not aware that you could shake the sound effects to get more sound effects. Derp.

PS: @syntheticgerbil - thanks!

This game is pretty much the game that as a child I would have loved more than any other.  My fondest dream was being able to make my own games...and making my own Mario games was really what I wanted to do.  I'm really tempted to get it for my little cousins this Christmas, but I don't know if they're old enough to really enjoy it (or if kids in early-mid grade school are even into Mario or platformers like I was at that age).

I need to actually mess with making some levels, I think I'll play around with it this weekend if I don't binge on MGSV again.  I actually have a couple ideas that could turn out to be interesting levels (or not).

I'm pretty sure the NSMBU are actual 3D. Look at how they reflect light in the lava levels.

Haven't had a lot of time to make or play levels. Hopefully soon!

So after a handful of quick, finish-it-in-30-seconds courses that I've made, I decided to sit down and create a longer stage. For whatever reason, I decided to retell Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Mario Maker, so stay tuned for that! If it goes well, I'll do all seven books, and maybe split Deathly Hallows into two different stages, for the lols.

My latest stage is

Ice Sculpture Park

9296-0000-006C-66EB

The timing for enemies on auto rails is quite finicky in this game.

I find myself wanting to give players plenty of mushrooms. One hit kills are less interesting to me.

Finally got this game on friday, and it's super rad. I really hope the game gets good DLC / expansions - world authoring would probably be on the top of my list. Set a number of starting lives and chain a number of your levels together, and suddenly there's actually a reason to have 1up mushrooms, and you could achieve all kinds of longer arcs for things.

I played a random selection of a bunch of you guys' levels just now, though I did enough in a row to forget some of what I meant to say in detail. I probably should've just used the in-game comments system, but anyway:

TangoCharlie Nice understandable premises and readable layouts. Blowing up the spinies in Bowser's Back Door was really satisfying, probably because it was nicely contained and for a clear purpose. Getting tired of the huge crazy messes of spammed enemies you see in some levels, I hope people get over their baser instincts over time.

Goob The airship level was cool, in an orthodox way. I really like it when there aren't too many elements in a level, it keeps it understandable.

graddy Cave Bouncin' was a good compact challenge, and I liked that things happened one at a time. The editor almost invites you to fill the screen with stuff, but I enjoy being able to know what to do immediately. Ice Sculpture Park I had to give up on for now, since dodging projectiles kind of stresses me out and I died really close to the end, haha.

colinp Nice terrain shaping and orthodox design. "Nightmare" had a fun premise, though both big-mode hammer bros buttstomped their way through the floor somehow. Weird stuff happens in dreams I guess.

Cbirdsong Cool level, clean and spacious enough to actually "hurry" through.

And here's some of my first few levels, done using the early tools:

Diminishing Footholds (F78D-0000-006F-F04E)

Plantforms (AF03-0000-006F-A300)

Both probably on the more challenging side, but pretty short. Went for a "simple to grasp, tricky to pull off" thing, focusing on one or two elements at a time. Trying to strike some kind of balance between clear objectives and thinking on your feet - though I really really hope they'd just put checkpoints in.

Lastair, try my airship level  again but do it without letting go of the stick and run button.  There is a decently simple pattern to the jumps, you can speed run the whole thing.   

(Sprng,Bounce,Fleet!, 95F0-0000-0062-EB87 in case anyone missed it)   :D 

I too like a few elements done in an interesting way, hopefully it is that.  Watching someone play that, I was really surprised with how they approached alot of the springs and stuff.

Puting up another level later today probably, last night I took the game to a friends house and asked them to give me a theme or some elements to put into a level, and I took some time to build their request in the way I saw fit.  Pretty fun way of doing things.  They asked for "Propeller hats, vertical jumps, air, water, and Lakitu throwing stuff."  And then I just interpreted all of that the way I wanted.  Tweaking it a bit before publishing, based on how they were playing it last night, which was also a great way to test.

EDIT:  Uploaded.

Get Through This Ship.

54D1-0000-0077-164E

Also my first NSMB style, the Prop hats are a nice change from the Leaf and Feather, and allow for less easy "fly over the whole level" moments, which is actually nice.  Also I love that air spin to give you a little boost.

A thought: you know what would be a great update? Adding in something similar to New Super Mario World 3D U (whatever the new good one on Wii U is called) where there were three green stars in every level.

The creator places X number of green stars in their level, and when the player finishes the level, instead of the game just saying "YOU BEAT IT" it could also say, "AND YOU COLLECTED ALL THE GREEN STARS," or, "BUT THERE ARE STARS REMAINING TO COLLECT!"

Star-collection would be divorced from completion rates and difficulty computation. If no stars are placed by the creator, the user is either automatically credited with having collected all the stars, or the option is disabled.

Creators would have an impetus to make more interesting levels to explore, and fastidious collectors would be motivated to explore levels.

---

Semi-related: I was thinking about how Nintendo might update this game. Considering how hard people seem to be working to effectively add value to this game's offering, it began to feel extremely offensive to me the idea that Nintendo might charge for DLC (i'm not saying they will, or that I heard anyone say this, only that it occurred as a possibility to me). That seems like it would be an impossibly dumb decision, but then look at how cantankerous they're being about the Youtube stuff, and their potential to Do The Wrong Thing seems more likely. :\

Some great levels from friends:

@corygodbey's THE SPACE MADNESS/THE DERELICT

6A85-0000-006F-1208

- extremely clever sort of basic story-telling course. Don't miss Cory's other levels, too.

@jcaffoe's THE MYSTERY OF SHELL MANSION

BC0A-0000-005C-0562

- Great aesthetics, and some really clever Yoshi usage. Waiting on more courses from Jason. ;)

@samandfuzzy's YOSHI'S DEMOLITION CREW

7BEE-0000-0064-ACC5

- More clever Yoshi business, lots of fun. Be sure to try Sam's other courses, too.

A thought: you know what would be a great update? Adding in something similar to New Super Mario World 3D U (whatever the new good one on Wii U is called) where there were three green stars in every level.

The creator places X number of green stars in their level, and when the player finishes the level, instead of the game just saying "YOU BEAT IT" it could also say, "AND YOU COLLECTED ALL THE GREEN STARS," or, "BUT THERE ARE STARS REMAINING TO COLLECT!"

It wouldn't be as cleanly communicated to the player (maybe put a signpost block to explain the concept at the beginning of the level), but you could achieve this from a design perspective by only placing three coins in the level and having those act as your green stars.

It wouldn't be as cleanly communicated to the player (maybe put a signpost block to explain the concept at the beginning of the level), but you could achieve this from a design perspective by only placing three coins in the level and having those act as your green stars.

My "Options" level uses this concept. No coins on the top level, coin count indicates rooms vested underground. I like the optional challenge.

... you could achieve this from a design perspective by only placing three coins in the level and having those act as your green stars.

Totally. Or include "(Find 3 1-Ups!)" in the title and then hide 3 1-ups.

Ha ha, or - since 1ups are meaningless past 3 - you use 1ups as your "coins" in the level and make coins rare.

I like hiding 1ups as little hidden Easter eggs, just to communicate some kind of "hey you found a thing I hid!" moment.  I'd love the ability to place the Yoshi (Star?) coins though, and see percentages found and stuff.  And mostly I just use coins as either gameplay indicators or challenges  (safe to try and jump for to indicate off screen paths and dangers, or like, daring you to try and get to them).

Finally finished a new level:

There and Back Again and Again

(87C2-0000-007C-5CFA)

I tried your levels Lastair. You're an evil evil person. Ahaha, definitely unorthodox. ;) Only managed to beat the first one, alas.

I have been making levels, and while Goob (from above) has found them too hard, I don't know. Here is one I made yesterday that I'm a fan of:

Super Cool 'n Ghosts: 

C22C-0000-007B-8BC2

I think that someone should curate an Idle Thumbs playlist. Maybe I'll take a crack at it this weekend.  Mostly I just want levels that don't feel like some giant epic experience which has to be done without checkpoints. I want more Mario 3 type levels. Here is an interesting idea, here, try it out, and you're out. 

The latest jam:

THE ICE-WRECK OF THE HMS KOOPA

7EDF-0000-0078-0D79

CQG0VCkUYAAV1ff.jpg

Sorry, Rubixscube, it's a giant epic experience which has to be done without checkpoints… but at least it's forgiving. Hopefully it's fun to explore and poke around in!

I made a level. It's literally the first thing I made when I got SMM last night. *BUT* I decided to try and be cool like TangoCharlie and draw a purty picture to go with the level.

JJAyXMjl.jpg

It's not giant or epic, but it's easy! And really shit! Now it's uploaded into the cloud forever, so you can see.. you can all see the difference between this and my eventual MASTERPIECE!

Looking for levels to beat and post on youtube.

Proof that I beat levels (playlist) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-a207-OmSk&list=PLMKgf_vmSUBBC3FMwPdzmOkKFYTUPnOG8&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lI6QIpIdpU&list=PLMKgf_vmSUBBC3FMwPdzmOkKFYTUPnOG8&index=3

Proof I’ve done this before: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/3lzvam/if_you_have_a_level_you_created_want_me_attempt/

Here is some requirements about levels I am looking for this time around:

1.      I will not attempt levels below 1% unless they are short, have been beaten by more than 1 person other than yourself. (The lower the success rate, the less I will spend time trying to beat your level). I am looking to play real quick so I can get onto editing and posting people’s videos.

2.      I prefer levels with a theme

3.      Feel free to post as many levels

4.      Optional: Let me know if you want your videos edited or not, and what if you want music in your videos or not (you can choose your own song as well but I would have to approve)

Piranhas From Above: 85D0-0000-001C-BD05

Underground level requiring some careful low jumps

Ghost House Party: BC3C-0000-0026-8318

Simple ghost house with not much misdirection.

Halloumi Hills: DE58-0000-003B81B6

A long level with lots of sustained jumping. I suggest holding the run button down.

Falty Footing Fortress: A1C4-0000-006A-AD6B

Maybe the difficulty on this is cheap, but I give the player multiple chances by removing bottomless pits. 

Bowser Ruins a Boat Trip: A96D-0000-0082-E9E4

Is it just me, or are pipes slow to spawn enemies? Anyway, this one has a mild story suggested. 

Hi all, I had to join the forums to get in on this Mario Maker action :)

A couple of my levels: 

Classic smb3 level: 6B2C-0000-007B-8B74

Kirby's 8 Golden Coins: 163D-0000-0064-6E66

The second one is an attempt at providing motiviation by looking for some rare resource, but there is an element of reducing the difficulty by just trying to get to the end without the coins.