ewokskick

Dropsy is the world's first Point and Click Hugventure

Dropsy, apparently, developed out of a SomethingAwful Choose Your Own Adventure thread.  Here is an example of one of those games.  Now, the game has become a fully formed point and click adventure staring Dropsy the clown.  It stands out for some unique features.  It stars a clown that seems to be not neurotypical.  He loves hugs and helping people.  At the start of the game most people seem a bit creeped out by him or don't like him, but as he helps people he racks up friendly hugs.  Another interesting choice is that the game uses no dialogue.  Instead, everything in the game is communicated using pictograms.  In my experience, this has been a great development limitation.  It means puzzles get communicated effectively and gives the game a unique charm to it.  In about 4 hours of play I've only taken one break because I was stuck on a puzzle.  That's an adventure game miracle.  Lastly, the game runs on a day and night cycle.  Sometimes you need to go somewhere at different times of the day to encounter the right person (or not encounter the wrong person).  It adds some complexity to the puzzles.  Dropsy can sleep to advance time and if he does he sometimes has dreams which fill in some of his tragic backstory.

The game seems very well designed as though they know what a player is thinking at that exact point.  For example, right when I started to get frustrated by how much backing tracking and walking around I would be required to do for new puzzles, the game gave me a fast travel system.  In addition to use X item on Y thing, the game also has a companion system where animals who love drospy follow him around.  They are used in environmental puzzles sometimes.  It means you often have to think about any given problem a lot of different ways.  Somehow the game manages to make the puzzles satisfying without relying on cat mustaches.  For a game with inventory systems, companion systems, and a day and night cycle, it never really feels like too much.

One last bit of praise for the music in the game.  It's varied enough to avoid feeling over repetitive and honestly I just love it. 

Here's the launch trailer:

Here is Danielle playing it with the developer:

I played Sam and Max hit the road earlier this summer.  And that game very much holds up.  In some ways it is ahead of many modern adventure games.  Dropsy is the closet experience I've had to that game and is probably an essential game for modern adventure fans.

Also, don't let the fact that he is a clown scare you.  He really is quite adorable.

That's pretty cool.  I know I've seen one or both of the Ben There Dan That and Time Gentleman, Please! developers on here too.  It's probably no coincidence that a few of my favorite modern point and click games were made by thumbs fans.

Haha, honestly Dropsy creeped me out first time when he showed it even though the animation is gorgeous. I think I changed my mind and want to see what's going on here.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/6030-life/?p=300823 Woo, found his posts! I feel kind of bad for saying his clown is creepy. I mean that's the point though right? The animation is still beautiful.

So can anyone comment on whether this game is safe to play with a 6-year old (who isn't especially afraid of clowns)?  

The only concern I could think of would be that the nightmare scenes are, well, nightmares.  There is some minor violence (a pixelated gun shot).  Otherwise, I can't think of anything objectionable.  My gut says that, yes, it would be fine.  I don't have a kid though, so YMMV on my assessment.

That's pretty cool.  I know I've seen one or both of the Ben There Dan That and Time Gentleman, Please! developers on here too.  It's probably no coincidence that a few of my favorite modern point and click games were made by thumbs fans.

*waves*

Dropsy looks really cool, I'm looking forward to playing it.

I'm really impressed by the trailer. I hope that I can convince a friend to play this with me. ^^

I'm really impressed by the trailer. I hope that I can convince a friend to play this with me. ^^

I watched a little bit of Danielle streaming it and it's definitely fun as a shared experience.

Anyway, here is a great article on Dropsy from a queer perspective and the importance of art that redeems grossness.

https://richardgoodness.wordpress.com/2015/09/11/83-dropsy/

I watched a little bit of Danielle streaming it and it's definitely fun as a shared experience.

Anyway, here is a great article on Dropsy from a queer perspective and the importance of art that redeems grossness.

https://richardgoodness.wordpress.com/2015/09/11/83-dropsy/

Thank you for linking that, the idea of the "redemption of the gross" is something that falls in line with some other stuff I've been thinking about, and that piece helped actually illuminate some of my own thoughts. 

Thanks all! That article was fantastic, he seemed to understand exactly what I wanted to express through the game. Seeing worth in people in spite of our horribly arbitrary value systems (beauty, usefulness, etc etc.) is at the heart of the whole thing.

Still got a few nasty bugs to fix and achievements to add and stuff, but I'm happy it's been so well recieved. For all the testing we did, I still had very little idea how much people would resonate with it. A lot, as it turns out. :D

Also we have a fun optional beach area + more dreams coming soon in a free update. >: )

I've been loving the game but at about 2 hours in I started to get hit with >1 minute long load times when I transition between screens. Is anyone else seeing this? 

Thanks guys! :)

I've been loving the game but at about 2 hours in I started to get hit with >1 minute long load times when I transition between screens. Is anyone else seeing this? 

Aw man, I've not heard of this. What OS/computer are you running it on?

Win 7 ~4 years old medium spec.

However, I think it might actually be the HDD it's installed on is dying >.<

I'm investigating now and I'll PM you with the results. 90% sure it isn't your problem tho.

I can't stop thinking about this game and all the hugs I gave and (spoiler for how it made me feel)

it's instilled a profound sadness in me that I can't really shake. There are a couple side quests that I wasn't able to finish, so I have some blank spots that I'm trying to fill in.

Story Spoiler stuff. Please don't read this until you've played until you are sure that you aren't going back for more, as this is about more of the environmental and background story telling:

There are few things. 1. Apparently Dropsy is Superman? I liked that.  2. I didn't finish the clown statue as I didn't find the dog part of the statue, but ewokskick told me that if you do find all the parts, there's a little scene that happens indicates that you, the S/5 corp guy is your space brother and there is a third brother. As I didn't get to see the scene, I can say this is purely speculation, but it seems like maybe your green haired brother killed your other brother, who was seen as the Vampire???? The vampire church has those windows that looks kind of like green haired brother.  3. The portrait of S/5 corp guy in his place has a crown, which seems to be the same crown that your space mom is wearing at the end, indicating that if he kills you & your vampire space brother, he'll ascend as the sole heir to the throne? 4. I don't know what is going on with the alien thing, and I'd like to think about it away from the game and go back to see if I can figure out how to do that little side quest.

How can I not love a game about hugging? I just love Dropsy little happy dance when he does something good. Frankly, I have no idea if the good deeds I do are optional or not I will hug EVERYONE until they are happy!

I don't know how far I am in the game, but I am confused by the cassettes, do I even need them for anything after 

using one to get a sandwich at the church?

How can I not love a game about hugging? I just love Dropsy little happy dance when he does something good. Frankly, I have no idea if the good deeds I do are optional or not I will hug EVERYONE until they are happy!

I don't know how far I am in the game, but I am confused by the cassettes, do I even need them for anything after 

using one to get a sandwich at the church?   - You will need at least 1 more for a puzzle solution.

I can't stop thinking about this game and all the hugs I gave and (spoiler for how it made me feel)

it's instilled a profound sadness in me that I can't really shake. There are a couple side quests that I wasn't able to finish, so I have some blank spots that I'm trying to fill in.

I actually find the game very uplifting instead of sad. To me Dropsy is a character who is so loving that he overcomes all the unfair opinions about him people held. I guess it's sad that all these people hated him in the first place, but I think in the end it's mostly hopeful.

I actually find the game very uplifting instead of sad. To me Dropsy is a character who is so loving that he overcomes all the unfair opinions about him people held. I guess it's sad that all these people hated him in the first place, but I think in the end it's mostly hopeful.

That's fair. It's not just the people who didn't like him, but the bad things that happen to him through the malice of others that makes me sad. I really liked the game even if I'm sad when I think about the painful things he experienced.

Is the point of no return after the circus incident that lets monsters loose on the city? I have a save before that and would like to help a few more people if I can.

Is the point of no return after the circus incident that lets monsters loose on the city? I have a save before that and would like to help a few more people if I can.  I think once you go to the circus tent with your 3 critter friends you're kind of locked into the final sequence and aren't able to deviate from that? It didn't do much exploring after the posters went up all over town, so it may be at that point instead. I know you're safe to explore more once you rescue the dog, but before you go back to the tent.

There are still a few people I haven't help... I hope you can help them all.

-Finding the final page for the vampire book. I assume it's in the mines and I saw a mouse hole, but I don't know how to get to that mouse hole.

-Hugging the cop? I assume he wants to arrest the guy who is selling/buying tapes and trinkets in the area after "vampire bridge", but I think he's gone now.

-Can I befriend the guard I stole the mine key from? I found a wheel that might be for the guard's bike, but that only reminded me of the lonely fish... There was a fishing spot on "Vamp island", but no bait or maybe even line?

-I haven't help the alien guy or entered pass the gate next to him.

There are still a few people I haven't help... I hope you can help them all.

-Finding the final page for the vampire book. I assume it's in the mines and I saw a mouse hole, but I don't know how to get to that mouse hole.

-Hugging the cop? I assume he wants to arrest the guy who is selling/buying tapes and trinkets in the area after "vampire bridge", but I think he's gone now.

-Can I befriend the guard I stole the mine key from? I found a wheel that might be for the guard's bike, but that only reminded me of the lonely fish... There was a fishing spot on "Vamp island", but no bait or maybe even line?

-I haven't help the alien guy or entered pass the gate next to him.

Here's what I was able to solve out of those: 

1. The pages glitched out for me, so even though I found 5 pages, I kept getting repeat copies of page 4 and was unable to finish the book. There's a dog hole in the mines where you found the dog and can dig up a page.

2. I couldn't figure this one out either. The tape bootlegger (which is what I assume he is?) only comes out at night.

3. Yes! you can. You're right, the wheel is for the guard's scooter. I fixed it at night.  There should be a fishing pole in the vampire island area, and all you have to do is sit down and catch a fish. I don't know if it's a time of day thing.

4. I couldn't figure this one out either

You can just hug the guard in front of that gate and if you give the alien fan a coin, he'll give you an alien call, which you use in the cave and then feed him the crystals from the guy in front of the music store and give what you get to alien fan to befriend him.

To enter to final part of the mine you need to take the keycard from the Twinkie building at night or else the boss will be there, There might be a puzzle there that I couldn't solve but there is also the final page, which is another duplicate.

I guess I'm done until they fix that glitch?