Jake

Idle Thumbs 227: Quiet The Clown

That was one of the better post credit rolls y'all have had!  On misdirected emails, I get a few a year, which are always kind of delightfully weird.  I have a fairly uncommon name for a man (nowadays), it's by far most commonly a young woman's name now.  About 10 years ago when I would google my own name, only a few people would show up, including a high school girl on a cheerleading team and a young woman in nursing school. I've definitely gotten nursing related emails meant for her (or another nurse with the same name), and used to get regular updates about some random woman's life that was sent to a list of like 20 emails, though those stopped last year.  I thought about replying a few times, but it was such a little interesting random curiosity to get them.  Mostly mundane stuff, but mundane stuff about a stranger for whom my only point of reference were these emails a few times a year.  

I just googled my name for the first time in a long while.  I used to be the majority of the links on the first couple of pages, and now I don't even show up at all until several pages in.  Bummer.

This episode inspired me to look through the folder I file misdirected e-mail into. There's a receipt in there from 2004 of a guy in Boston sending flowers to a woman in Tuscany. I just googled one of their names, and the second result was an article about their wedding in 2011.

Hope they don't get divorced because he never thought to send her flowers in the early years.

Pervy lakitu is next level.

Maybe a pervy sentient drone?

I just googled my name for the first time in a long while.  I used to be the majority of the links on the first couple of pages, and now I don't even show up at all until several pages in.  Bummer.

I did the same, after thinking about the artist that I used to get e-mails for. He's the entire front page of results now, and apparently has a piece at MOMA. Good for him!

The strangest wrong e-mail I got from someone was something I thought was spam at first. The sender had what, to my high school aged mind, seemed like a very strange name (it was just a Polish name). The subject was something like "Catch up some time?" and the body was only the sentence "The winter is dreadful." I thought it was a weird spam misfire, but I looked at the from address and it seemed like a real screen name that an actual human being would have, so I responded with something to tell her that I didn't know who she was, so if she was looking for someone in particular she hadn't reached them. She responded with another one line e-mail -- something like "I'm so sorry to have taken up your time unnecessarily" -- and I never replied.

That was something like 10 years ago and I still think about it sometimes. Something about it just makes me uncomfortable. The barest of conversations I had with this person made me feel like she was maybe going through a rough time, and it just pops into my head randomly and I think about if she's doing okay.

I hope she's happy.

I was thinking about that as well. Where is the scene where someone drags the MGS camera man out from behind the fourth wall?

I had not specifically thought about the cameraman being a pervy lakitu until now, to be clear, just the part about the MGS camera operator almost being a (shitty) character in and of itself.

Pervy lakitu is next level.

I was actually confused for a while by clips of MGS5 I've been watching, because the way the camera moves almost feels like it is someone's perspective. And then when I heard about the character creation thing I thought that maybe the camera view is secretly supposed to be the character you made, and it was going to be some bombast reveal.

You are the pervert all along.

HIDEO

I was actually confused for a while by clips of MGS5 I've been watching, because the way the camera moves almost feels like it is someone's perspective.

There was a shot in the prologue that stood out to me because it had characters move quickly away from the camera after a period of being stationary, and the camera movement was animated to follow after by about a half-second delay with some extra side-to-side bobbing, as if they were being chased by a documentary cameraman.

That was one of the better post credit rolls y'all have had!  On misdirected emails, I get a few a year, which are always kind of delightfully weird.  I have a fairly uncommon name for a man (nowadays), it's by far most commonly a young woman's name now.  About 10 years ago when I would google my own name, only a few people would show up, including a high school girl on a cheerleading team and a young woman in nursing school. I've definitely gotten nursing related emails meant for her (or another nurse with the same name), and used to get regular updates about some random woman's life that was sent to a list of like 20 emails, though those stopped last year.  I thought about replying a few times, but it was such a little interesting random curiosity to get them.  Mostly mundane stuff, but mundane stuff about a stranger for whom my only point of reference were these emails a few times a year.  

I used to get emails that were family updates from someone who was very devout when they and their family would go on missions. I got an email from someone asking my name's advice about joining the Marines because they knew my name was in the service. I wrote an email back saying they had the wrong person, but it's a big challenge and an honor to serve your country. I kept getting emails about "my" new Honda from a Virginia dealership, and couldn't get off the damn mailing list.

I have a fairly uncommon last name. I have never randomly run into anyone who has the same. Yet for a time, I belonged to a facebook group full of people who had my exact first and last name. It was pretty funny.

Somebody used my email address to sign up for a service that lets you send money to your loved ones in prison. They obviously don't verify email addresses when you sign up with them, and their customer support is terrible, so I'm stuck with receipts for whenever some guy sends money to people in Folsom. I've got alot of information about this guy that I really shouldn't have.

The discussion of custom helicopter themes on the cast reminded me i hadn't actually posted this in the forums here, just shared it on irc. I'm pretty proud. 

I still have that as my music and I really need to change it because I hear it all the time now, it never stops. help.

In reverse fortunes, my real name has replaced a bunch of actually famous people at the top of my google search due to some people on Youtube taking the piss out of me on their reasonably famous channel.