Jake

Idle Thumbs 227: Quiet The Clown

In PW, you wanted a good male soldier and a good female soldier, because it let you have more loadouts, since male and female soldiers have different loadouts for the same outfit for some reason. Also, I didn't play Portable Ops, but I'm pretty sure Sokolov is a male character.

PW also has a weird thing where plot missions require you to play as snake the first time, but then you can use custom soldiers on replays. MGS5 lets you use them any time, but then you turn into snake for cutscenes

Hah, oops I meant Ursula.

Now I had wish I had known about the loadouts in Peacewalker, I could have used that in all those hours and hours of extra ops. Errrghgh.

Also for TV show theme songs, they kinda only work in this regard if they have that jingle feel.

Family Matters:

Edit - Also Coach:

If you, like me, used to watch wrestling in the 90s, you might find this entertaining. Same as with TV theme tunes, wrestler entrance themes have a good early punch that fits well as helicopter music.

This looks like Taylor Swift when she's parodying modern dance in Shake It off.

This just swung by my Twitter desk, RE: MGS5. This isn't plot spoilery necessarily but it's still a scene so I'll tuck it behind a spoiler tag. I promise it's amazing though (it's a parody thing).

I really hate the trope of writing competent, powerful female characters then disempowering them either through their story arc or with framing/cinematography/lighting/costuming/animation etc. It's like a smashing-the-sandcastle thing? I don't always mind it when you write a bright star of a character than another character smashes down or undermines, because that is an interesting scenario and something you could write about human tendencies, but when it's actually the viewer or the artist doing it to their own character, it's weird. ie portraying disempowerment is one thing, actually doing the disempowering makes you kinda a villain. 

I'm glad the board game I sent got through!  Hope you guys get a chance to play it.

If anyone was curious, The game i's a dungeon management sim called Dungeon Lords, and so could be labelled a Lords Management game; it's kind of an attempt to make a board game out of Dungeon Keeper but without the license.

A friend just linked this to me and it really helps to figure out how ridiculous MGS gets with its... well. Just watch.

You're all doing it wrong. There is only 1 suitable song for the heli:

I think the previous version of the Idle Thumbs theme song (from 151 to 199) would be a better fit than the recent one.

nah, the megaphone effect of Remo in the new song makes it sound like there's somebody in the heli shouting "video games" through the speaker

Getting away from the TV show theme stuff I nominate Kirby music for the helicopter sequences.

I dont get why a person would listen to a call but then operate a sound board for responses rather than listening to the call and then also talking themselves.

Thick accents.

I dont get why a person would listen to a call but then operate a sound board for responses rather than listening to the call and then also talking themselves.

To sound like a white American woman. Note that call centres have very specific scripts the employees should follow anyway. They have a script that's supposed to contain all the stuff they could possible need to say, so presumably it seemed easy enough to transfer to a soundboard.

Electric Six has been working out pretty well for me.

Danielle describing the MGS camera when Quiet is on screen almost sounded like she was personifying the camera, which then somehow led to me thinking of it as being manned like in Mario 64, which in turn led to me imagining Lakitu being the MGS cameraman.  Now in my mind Lakitu is a perverted turtle thing that likes to fly around on his cloud and film women's cleavage.

I was thinking about that as well. Where is the scene where someone drags the MGS camera man out from behind the fourth wall?

I had not specifically thought about the cameraman being a pervy lakitu until now, to be clear, just the part about the MGS camera operator almost being a (shitty) character in and of itself.

Pervy lakitu is next level.