Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 320: Game Designer Brian Train

771__header.jpg

Game Designer Brian Train
This week Bruce sits down with prolific game designer Brian Train. Brian's games span a wide range of conflicts and scenarios, including Greek civil war, fighting in Algeria, and Special Forces actions in Vietnam. His predilection for asymmetric warfare and non-traditional combat modeling have brought his games to the attention of US military simulation experts and wargame fans throughout the world.

Pusan Perimeter, Algeria, Greek Civil War, A Distant Plain 

Also check out:

All aboard the Brian Train!

good episode, i've only played two of Brian's games, The Shining Path, and Operation Whirlwind. Operation Whirlwind is really ace but tough as nails for the communists. It does a really good job of evoking a disquieting feeling of things slipping out of control. 

I look forward to Colonial Twilight and also his Korean war 3 set coming out in S&T magazine this coming winter.

Great show. I was so excited to hear about the upcoming China game - particularly the decision to make the 4th faction the warlords - not the allies. I have a copy of Leonard To's War of the Suns sitting at home which is far too massive to ever play that also includes the KMT cliques and warlords as an important part of the design. A COIN game will be much easier to play - looking forward to more updates.

edit: Research shows Brian considers Thunder from China to be 'years' away. Gah!

I've never had the opportunity to play any of his designs, but the rules and subject matter of Train's work always catches my eye when I come across it. He's one of the most interesting designers in tabletop wargaming. 

Great interview.

Listening to this podcast I was wondering is there any games about the Troubles in Northern Ireland similar to the ones Train created?

Listening to this podcast I was wondering is there any games about the Troubles in Northern Ireland similar to the ones Train created?

Seamus, while there are several games about the Irish civil war, I do not know of any games about The Troubles. However, if you listen to my interview with Dave Kershaw from last year (https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/vietnam-solitaire-with-dave-kershaw) who also has done an Irish civil war game, you can hear about the game he designed about the Orange Order marches.

Seamus, while there are several games about the Irish civil war, I do not know of any games about The Troubles. However, if you listen to my interview with Dave Kershaw from last year (https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/vietnam-solitaire-with-dave-kershaw) who also has done an Irish civil war game, you can hear about the game he designed about the Orange Order marches.

I remember the game about the marches, I forgot he had also done a game based on the flying columns.