Sign in to follow this  
tberton

Playscii by JP Lebreton

In case anybody here didn't know this, friend of Idle Thumbs JP "Sniper" LeBreton has been working on an open-source ASCII-based game dev tool since getting laid off from Double Fine. He's also planning on making games with it.

I've only been following it lightly, but the project is pretty cool and his latest update indicates that he's needs more backers for his Patreon to be fully patron supported and avoid having to get a full-time project. The tool seems really neat and JP is a good dude, so I think I'll probably offer up a little bit. Consider sharing his work around to help out someone tangentially related to this community.

This is a super cool tool and I hope more people use it to make games and other things with it. Only played around with it a bit but there's a great feature that can render any image into a Playscii image. Really fun to try out with movie stills and landscapes

This post reminded me that I should do something in playscii again. It is one of my favorite computer based art tool.

In my mind a great way if you want to learn digital art because the tool has nice creative restrictions in color palettes and the character sets. Which made it more approachable than pixel based art. Same goes the animation tools included in the tool.

This was my latest endeavour:

post-34268-0-22093000-1442575070_thumb.gif