Jake

Idle Thumbs 225: Read Our Lips

My game is bugged :(

After about 30 seconds it crashes, every time. Can't play.

Your dwellers have finally rebelled I see.

My game is bugged :(

After about 30 seconds it crashes, every time. Can't play.

To be fair you were setting your dwellers on fire.

I feel like I must have posted about this before, but one of my favorite things about Second Life is that it was an obsession of Chris Marker, who I think is one of the world's great filmmakers. He passed away in 2012 at the age of 91, but not before completing a personal museum/installation space, and a few films inside Second Life. He was a member of the underground french resistance during World War 2, famous leftist, present and documenting some major global upheavals, like the conclusion of the Algerian War (La Joli Mai), went to Cuba and interviewed Castro in 61 (Cuba Si) fall of the Berlin Wall (Berlin 1990), and what Pauline Kael said was one of the best science fiction films ever made (Le Jetee(also the work 12 Monkeys is based on)), but his final film, or at least closest to final, was Ouvroir a journey through his second life space, including a theater to watch a few of his shorts.

http://chrismarker.org/chris-marker/ouvroir-the-movie-by-chris-marker/

If you have posted this before I thank you for mentioning it again as I was completely unaware that this was the case. I'm not well versed enough in Marker's works to be able to call myself a fan (I've only seen La jetée and Sans soleil which seem to be the only two easily accessible on DVD in the UK) but as someone interested in French new wave cinema in general this is a fascinating insight into a facet of one of its most accomplished directors' work that was previously unknown to me, and an intriguing confluence of different forms of media I enjoy.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Marker, and the French guy I was seeing until recently had no idea who he was. I made him watch a lot of Chris Marker, some of which I hadn't seen myself. You should watch all of it.

Also I'm a big fan of French new wave cinema, so if you want any recommendations in that line, I am happy to help.

If you have posted this before I thank you for mentioning it again as I was completely unaware that this was the case. I'm not well versed enough in Marker's works to be able to call myself a fan (I've only seen La jetée and Sans soleil which seem to be the only two easily accessible on DVD in the UK) but as someone interested in French new wave cinema in general this is a fascinating insight into a facet of one of its most accomplished directors' work that was previously unknown to me, and an intriguing confluence of different forms of media I enjoy.

Marker: There is a great and affordable collection of some of Marker's work available in the UK.

Nouvelle vague in general: In November Arrow will release a limited 16 disc Jacques Rivette Blu-Ray collection including both cuts of Out 1. *drool*

Oh man, I wish that collection was Region 1! It's gotten better in the last few years, but for a long time there was no consumer release of anything besides SS/LJ. There are few now on amazon. I've somehow never seen Level Five, which is like a combination of two of my favorite media things. Sometimes I like the idea of something out there rather than knowing I've seen it all. 

that rivette collection looks great too!