Jake

Idle Thumbs 225: Read Our Lips

Wow, the discussion of Trine was so poor. I love the series and was a tad dissapointed by it.

But okay, here's something just to correct some mistakes.

1. Amadeus, the Wizard can kill enemies. He can drop objects on top of them. Although, if you conjour an object too close to a skeleton, he will just smash it with the sword, so you need enough vertical space. In Trine 2 he can do more things (after levelling up his skills): he can levitate a single enemy, so you can throw the goblin into a fire or levitate it into spikes or whatever. He can conjoure a box around the enemy, creating a cage. There is even an achivement for creating a miniature zoo from 3 types of caged enemies (in Trine 1 all enemies were skeletons, in Trine 2 there are goblins and ogres ans whatnot). Although, that's not killing, they can get free from a cage, so you need Zoya (the Thief) to put an arrow there...

So yeah, even though, he can deal with some enemies, he cannot Fight with a capital F.

2. Trine 2 was created in a much better and prettier and glowier engine. Also, it had MUCH better multiplayer, actually Trine 1 didn't have any network multiplayer (only local hotseat), it was a big improvement to be able to play Trine 2 with friends (I completed it 3 times — once myself and twice with 2 different friends). So they later rereleased Trine 1 with Trine 2 engine and all the network multiplayer functionallity, so it was a Trine 1: Trine 2 edition of sorts. They've also released it as a beta at first, so it can count as 2 releases. They've also released an expansion (Gobin Menace) to Trine 2. It was much more than DLC, so they eventually (after releasing an extra level) moved to making "trine 2: complete story" (main game + goblin menace + Dwarven Caverns level) the only available item (you cannot buy trine 2: not complete story any more) and kind of The Game. There was a separate release of the Linux version... That's basically, what Danielle's "released 7 times" is made of, i believe.

3. The story is good. You can say that it's simple, yeah, but I love it. It's narrated very marvelously. I hated Chris saying that he skipped every cutscene. Eh.

P.S. My steam profile features an achivements showcase with the "earn all achivements in Trine" and "earn all (original) achivements in Trine 2", so you can figure out what a fan I am. I am yet to find time to finish the remaining Goblin Menace ones to replace the second with the cooler one. Also, I haven't bought Trine 3 yet, because I believe I won't have time to play it yet, unfortunately.

I was really into having all the achievements in Trine (and the related S rank over on Giant Bomb) but then they added in weird steam sale achievements and I stopped caring about them entirely.

I was really into having all the achievements in Trine (and the related S rank over on Giant Bomb) but then they added in weird steam sale achievements and I stopped caring about them entirely.

They added a single, very easy to do achivement that i completed the next day after it was introduced.

edit: ugh, i forgot, though, they've done it twice (on a summer sale and on a winter sale) and then added extra one to launch the "on trine 2 engine" edition (called Enchanted Edition)

But I'm all for their exposure through those sales events, so that's still a positive net result in my book.

Edited by DukeBG

Jake being off mic made him the sassy neighbor yelling through the wall constantly on some terrible sitcom

My weird Bush related grade school story, which I still remember very clearly. We were handed a info sheet that had a list of all the presidential primary candidates for what I think was for the upcoming 88 election. I remember scanning the candidates and seeing the name bush thinking wow I can say Bush, and i mean, say bush in the 80's frat house revenge of the nerds kind of way that was super popular among 3rd graders who's parents didn't care what they watched on television. So i did in fact chant the word BUSH one time and no one laughed or got it at all. It was terrible.

I think in retrospect the room probably thought I was just rooting for Bush to become President, which I wasn't,  but when he won I still felt oddly satisfied that I had accidentally picked the winner.

Jake being off mic made him the sassy neighbor yelling through the wall constantly on some terrible sitcom

Or this:

I asked Spaff on Twitter if he was referring to

when he talked about a video where a dude plays a hard Mario level who sounded "exactly like Marek Bronstring," and he confirmed it was.

Weird fact: that's me, way back in my first or second year of graduate school, cursing and being obnoxious in that video. 

It's a shot in the dark, but I hope that if you put a slight reverb on this mp3 file, it'll sound like a Idle Thumbs live episode where Jake is the only one in the entire theatre.

I want a supercut of all of Chris' weird stories about being a kid. I'm sure we were all little shits way back when, but for some reason, Chris has such a better recall of it than anyone else I've known that there's a sense of continuity in his naive and sometimes awful-by-accident behavior that's just sublime.

This thread only gets FOUR stars due to Jake's low audio levels.

Speaking of ratings, is it possible for me to go rate Thumbs on iTunes online without getting the software or anything? Also, is that survey for advertisers still going? I don't think it ever got linked on a forum thread and there was no way I was going to remember it from listening to the 'cast until getting to a computer.

I would play Dota 2 if there was a Remo-Breckon voice pack for it. There's so much possible source material! Oh man. Chris is welcome to script his barks but you should just push Breckon into a room with a mic and just use his first twenty lines.

An Remo-Breckon announcer pack, or an Idle Thumbs announcer pack, would be so good that it is hard to describe. Ideally it would be a bunch of the main Thumbs talking about stuff and then there would be like, one line somewhere, which is Steve Gaynor saying "uh, your tower is under attack" or something, and that's the only Scoops in the entire pack.

Speaking of ratings, is it possible for me to go rate Thumbs on iTunes online without getting the software or anything?

I second this question.

The rick and morty pack is very good as someone who doesn't play dota but loves the show.

I am waiting for the episode where dota 2 is mentioned like the DS was 

Never seen Rick and Morty but I've got that video playing listening to their comments and... yeah, DotA 2 announcer packs have needed this kind of approach for a long time.

This is probably general knowledge, but after doing a little looking around, I found the announcer pack was a collaboration between PyrionFlax and Justin Roiland. Obviously it was a perfect pair, cause a lot of Pyrion's humour, even when he was still learning the game, comes from that real place that a lot of the announcer lines do. The "It's not an accident anymore" line seems like it comes right from the intersection of self-deprecation and game experience that Pyrion employed in his hero introduction videos. It doesn't seem like Justin knew the game beforehand, but his improvisation skills along with his deep familiarity with voicing the Rick and Morty characters produced a great result.

The new Flywrench is brilliant, but I'm worried that I won't be able to finish it, because in the final planet the difficulty goes from a highly stressful challenge to a complete flapcrashcrashflapcrash-nightmare. Sadly the free original is not available anymore(?), I would have recommended checking out at least that version because Flywrench is such a great modern arcade game.

Edit: Finished it! With 8858 crashes...

Edited by atte

I feel like I must have posted about this before, but one of my favorite things about Second Life is that it was an obsession of Chris Marker, who I think is one of the world's great filmmakers. He passed away in 2012 at the age of 91, but not before completing a personal museum/installation space, and a few films inside Second Life. He was a member of the underground french resistance during World War 2, famous leftist, present and documenting some major global upheavals, like the conclusion of the Algerian War (La Joli Mai), went to Cuba and interviewed Castro in 61 (Cuba Si) fall of the Berlin Wall (Berlin 1990), and what Pauline Kael said was one of the best science fiction films ever made (Le Jetee(also the work 12 Monkeys is based on)), but his final film, or at least closest to final, was Ouvroir a journey through his second life space, including a theater to watch a few of his shorts.

http://chrismarker.org/chris-marker/ouvroir-the-movie-by-chris-marker/

The best thing about the Mario Maker release date is how Nintendo bends over backwards to not say "September 11th" in their marketing, choosing instead to say:

mAwTXOf.png

I am a little upset that there was no "I'm Still Playing Fallout Shelter" segment this week. Combining Chris Remo and a Skinner Box game is genius. If he's done with the game, I hope a similar game can fill that role.

I am a little upset that there was no "I'm Still Playing Fallout Shelter" segment this week. Combining Chris Remo and a Skinner Box game is genius. If he's done with the game, I hope a similar game can fill that role.

My game is bugged :(

After about 30 seconds it crashes, every time. Can't play.