Jake

Idle Thumbs 225: Read Our Lips

Idle Thumbs 225:

768__header.jpg

Read Our Lips

Read Our Lips: It's-a me. This week's episode may require you to use your imagination a little more than usual. Danielle plays the hell out of Super Mario Maker but as for her final verdict, you'll have to read between the lines. Chris and Spaff play the almost indescribable Pipedreamz and Flywrench, and Jake decides to record an entire episode with his microphone off. The only clarity you'll find comes from a surprisingly inspired Dota 2 add-on.

Games Discussed: Super Mario Maker, Trine 3, Pipedreamz, Flywrench, Rick & Morty Announcer Pack for Dota 2

Inaudible: Jake

Oh man, Trine is back!

EDIT: Uh, after searching for why Idle Thumbs

, maybe my enthusiasm is misguided.

I'll have to listen to the podcast to find out!

On the topic of strange video game promotions:

At a PAX before Far Cry 3 came out, I remember the booth for the game they had a promotion where if you got your hair cut at the booth in a mohawk like the game's villain they'd give you a code for a free copy of the game.

There was also the "Sin to Win" contest by EA to promote Dante's Inferno where Comic-Con attendees were encouraged to "commit acts of lust" with the booth babes (by which they meant take a picture with them).

If you just imagine jake is sitting right outside the room playing rocket league and chimming in once in a while its way better

Edit: Oh man now I need Chris and Nick announcer pack. Dear god please. A podcast special of them trying to record it would be hilarious.

Finally, all those hours of listening to poorly recorded office meetings paid off in my private life. I'm picturing Jake as the guy who showed up late and awkwardly stood against the back wall and shouted his contributions across the room while stepping out intermittently to take calls, bobbing his head and moving slightly to the side when he realized the projector is right behind where he's been standing so that thing at the bottom of the screen is his head.

Holy shit! Spitting Image!

My old man got into that as a kid too.

Recently, he wanted to something like it and do a videocast, but from more of a conservative angle.

I swear there was an American Version of it...

Holy shit! Spitting Image!

I only know of the Spitting Image puppets from that scary Genesis "Land of Confusion" video, which might be all we ever had in the US?

Spaff's description of their depictions of Thatcher and Major sound brazen! (But not at all unwarranted.)

When Sean is talking about Rick and Morty, there's an underlining motorcycle sound(?). It gave a great dramatic feel when he phrasing the, "it's not an accident!"

I want to be indignant about the mostly-loss of Jake in this episode but the opening discussion about Acclaim's weird PR moves is too great. The Wiki article on the company actually includes a couple of those things in the "Controversy" section, along with the whole BMX: XXX thing that went down. Which I remember clear as day. Everybody saw through that shit.

When Sean is talking about Rick and Morty, there's an underlining motorcycle sound(?). It gave a great dramatic feel when he phrasing the, "it's not an accident!"

Oh man, I listened to some of the announcer pack. One of the Tower Attack quotes is just amazing.

"Hey Rick, my bottom tower's looking pretty good right now."

'M-Morty, your bottom tower's under attack."

"My tower's under attack?! Oh god. Oh, oh jeez. Oh JESUS!"

The fact that it would be so conversational is awesome.

For some reason I was thinking that Trine Wizard was one of the original Wizards, but I think the original Trine came out long enough after Idle Thumbs started that it referenced itself as a meme. I know that "Talking about Trine every episode" became a refrain.

When Jake made the joke about Little Big Planet physics, it was especially weird coming from muted-background-Jake because it was what I had been thinking for ten minutes. Muted-background-Jake is the audience.

I would play Dota 2 if there was a Remo-Breckon voice pack for it. There's so much possible source material! Oh man. Chris is welcome to script his barks but you should just push Breckon into a room with a mic and just use his first twenty lines.

Why record new stuff for the Breckon Remo pack? There's surely enough material to mangle into an audio pack from the episodes.

The Diablo 3 wizard was the original Wizard inspiration. Trine's wizard had a certain way with the ladies though...

Yep, right! And then the Torchlight wizard was the Shitty Wizard.

"5 kills in a row?! I am suspicious of myself."