Sign in to follow this  
Thrik

Uncharted (4 and The Nathan Drake Collection)

Chapters 10,11,12 and what I've played of so far in 13 are amazing! My jaw has been on the floor the entire time playing through them. I kinda don't want to play it :) as I want to savour every moment, I don't want the game to end.

why do the hands look so weird in this game?

I love the sliding in this game. I'm only at chapter 4 or 5, but the slide-jump-swing combo is satisfying to me every time. I also love the way Uncharted cameras work when you are holding the top of a wall and hop to the other side - it seems like it's always a hard cut, and since the landscapes are so grand you get a rapid, unexpected change in perspective :) 

No it does that. When you climbing up the inside of a building the flip out of a window. Wait till it happens in the clock tower ;)

Just reached chapter 12. I'm still really impressed about this game overall. 

The gunplay so far has been okay, but the combat (especially the arena battles) is still the least interesting part of the game for me. I like the fact that they usually let me try to get rid of enemies stealthily before engaging them in combat. I had forgotten how fast Nathan dies if caught in a gunfire. Really discourages me from attempting any badass moves such as rope based takedowns.

The car stuff felt surprisingly good, though.

Yeah I enter every combat encounter like its an action movie, wanting to create some badass trailer worthy action and end up getting my ass beat. But who cares! You reload 10secs later and do it again. I have died ALOT in this game.

I got a bit obsessed early on with jumping on people through a height, a flying punch, as it looks so cool. So I would enter every enemy encounter climbing up to get the drop on someone, probably because of the 100s of assassin creed hours influencing how I play games, but where as ass creed has a 'kill' button which launches your character off any surface towards it prey, in uncharted its massively situational, and I end up glued hanging ti a wall somewhere getting shot at by 5 guys. Oh well.

I half recommend playing on easy, then you can do the swinging in to combat thing without dying every time

There's barely any shooting in the game anyway, even at chapter 16 now and this looks to be a purely exploration chapter. Unless they massively ramp up the action at the end... But I've heard the ending to this game is really good! Which isn't normally the case for these games

SO

FUCKING

GOOD

I wanted to write a comment last night about how awesome this game is. Everything after and including chapter 10 is another level

I weep for other games now. Like that beginning bit in chapter 11, when you are walking through the market, that should be what Shenmue 3 is like... But it won't be :(

Make a new sega rally game with this engine! Make everything

Heh, that has been my experience with death from above jumps as well.

Even if the combat is not my favorite part, it has been surprisingly frustration-free so far. The game checkpoints even during combat which is nice and hand-to-hand is really effective against enemies that try to get too close. My least favorite part so far has been the first encounter with the armored car in chapter 11.

Good to hear that exploration will remain the main attraction even in the following chapters.

Naughty Dog's technical mastery is pretty incredible. I mean, after playing chapter 10, I could imagine buying an off-road obstacle course game built on this engine. Also, the facial animations really help me get invested in the story and the characters. The cut from

Crash Bandicoot

back to Nathan and Elena on the sofa was so jarring that for a while I thought I was looking at FMV.

Chapter 16!! I'll do the meets meets meets in spoilers

gone home meets the Halloween shop from left behind

So good!

Played a shit load of Uncharted today. The driving towards the volcano didn't feel right. I had no feel where to go, and felt like I missed stuff.

I like that a lot of battles can be done stealthy, or at least the outside battles. Just like with the previous games I often feel like I'm constantly running into walls because I have no idea where to go. But it is still so much fun.

All the little details are so great. I think most people missed it, but in Scotland when you are going from the cemetery to the cave you can see a whale breaching in the ocean once in a while. All these little things makes the world of uncharted to nice to be in.

I saw the whale. There was also a dear at one point.

Driving towards the volcano I missed a whole optional area. You go past one of those 'Point of no return' drops, and reached a tower overlooking a little building settlement, definitely missed a journal entry by missing it out, bit annoying that they wouldn't let you drive back to it. I got over it pretty quickly. One of my few minor foibles.

I think the hard to navigate areas is an intentional part of the platforming, making it a challenge to find the route out. Then other times it'll give you three seperate routes to get to the same place.

It's a shame with the driving towards the volcano, as you have a focal point to move towards but it doesn't work that way at all. They actually do that quite a lot later, showing you your destination in the horizon but taking you all over the shop to get there. I'm fine with it, more surprises along the way. Go play far cry ;)

I didn't miss a journal entry after all as I just got the achievement for all of them. 0.3% completion rate. Guess I'm more studious then most.

Well... I finished this stupid game :tup:

As expected I was presented with unwanted gameplay near the end. It wasn't as bad as with the previous games. Most encounters I did in stealth, often even without being detected. Near the end there were simply a lot of forced violent encounters which in some cases I failed often, sometimes even due to shitty companions who wouldn't help me out and shoot the guy behind me. The other thing which caused a lot of deaths was jumping in a direction where I clearly wasn't meant to jump to.

Other than that the game is just awesome. I makes me sad that I finished it as it's now over. No more uncharted from Naughty Dog :/ Given the quality Naughty Dog has delivered for this particular genre it will be really difficult for others to measure up. Sure, there's the Tomb Raider reboot. But other than that the genre feels dead now.

Anyone interested in playing some multiplayer together? I've been into UC multiplayer since 2 but have always had people to play with. This time around I have no one to really count on, so I'm puttin' out the call. 

So I can't afford $80 for a game right now (Canadian exchange rate hurts). I still really want to be on that Uncharted train, so I'm replaying 1, 2, and 3 via the Nathan Drake Collection, which was on sale for cheap a couple of months ago. I was always pretty into these games, so I'm not really one to talk in terms of criticism. There's more shooting than I remember and it's not quite as magical this time around, but I'm still really enjoying myself. Beat 1 on the weekend, halfway through 2 now. I like the remasters.

Main reason I'm posting here? Amusing ragdoll! This happened tonight (thanks, share button!):

Look how happy that man is that I got a headshot!

Finished it last week. Fantastic game, probably my favorite Uncharted. Loved how they handled the enemy encounters this time, I remember being a bit tired of the constant waves of enemies by the end of Uncharted 2 (even though I still love that game by all means), now they made it more reasonable, you just have these amazing open areas and can face them however you want, at least most of the times.

I also think that there's no other game with so many visually memorable moments, it's so beautiful.

Loved the increased focus on the characters this time, and how the treasure story relates to them. It's definetely the story that I got most invested in all of Uncharted games, even if does have a good number of flaws.

This is probably my favorite PS4 game, brilliant.

Anyone interested in playing some multiplayer together? I've been into UC multiplayer since 2 but have always had people to play with. This time around I have no one to really count on, so I'm puttin' out the call.

I'm interested :) I do need to renew my PS Plus though, and find some time to engage with the multiplayer. But feel free to add me. PSN ID: umsobre2

Finished it last week. Fantastic game, probably my favorite Uncharted. Loved how they handled the enemy encounters this time, I remember being a bit tired of the constant waves of enemies by the end of Uncharted 2 (even though I still love that game by all means), now they made it more reasonable, you just have these amazing open areas and can face them however you want, at least most of the times.

I agree with all of this. Definitely my favorite Uncharted game. The fact that they got rid of most multi-wave arenas, didn't go apeshit with stay-puft enemies, gave me a companion for most encounters, let me have the element of surprise, made the unarmed combat basically insta-kill, and were really generous with mid-combat checkpointing made combat so much less frustrating for me. Hell, I enjoyed it quite a bit for most parts. There were definitely a couple of frustrating parts where I died over and over again, but then again I managed to beat some really tough feeling encounters on my first try.

The decision to focus on the main characters and use the ancient treasure story only as a way to explore their relationships was a really good choice. The story - and storytelling - was way more interesting than in any of the other Uncharted games and, in fact, most other story-driven video games I have played in a long time. 

Again, the technical execution and the attention to detail in this game is fucking mindblowing.

I wish they had gotten rid of the collectible treasures. Despite telling myself that I do not care about the unlocks, I still found myself looking for them. This meant that I often acted like an ass when hanging around with companions, and like a suicidal maniac when in danger zone.

Yup, that was one of my biggest gripes with the game.

Just rolled credits. That's a helluva game, but I maintain it's best played on the easiest difficulty. I think there are sequences that slightly overstayed their welcome (both combat and traversal), but overall thoroughly enjoyed it.

You're right about the difficulty. I lowered it mid game to have my play through be as cinematic as possible. When demoing the game for people I put it even lower to the point you don't even really have to aim.

This is one of the best games I've ever played, going to play through it again immediately.