softmachine

Sonic Dreams Collection: What Could Have Been

The Arcane Kids are secretly my favorite developers out there. Room of 1000 Snakes is a special kind of brilliant.

But honestly I am a little afraid of delving too deep into this one. The Sonic OC generator is pretty classy, but it looks like some of the later portions go to some dark places.

Yup, shit gets pretty twisted pretty quick, especially in the "Sonic Movie Maker" and "My Roommate Sonic" parts.

I'm currently feeding giant worms to eggman in a deserted MMO and I can feel my sanity slipping.

i uh saw this on twitter and thought it was just a new trend of posting weird sonic video shit

i didn't know it was... this

I didn't think I'd enjoy this more than Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective but I also was not expecting... all of that. I'm so glad these folks are making games.

i uh saw this on twitter and thought it was just a new trend of posting weird sonic video shit

i didn't know it was... this

To be fair, "weird sonic shit" is practically a genre at this point (for some reason) so I probably wouldn't have given this a second thought if wasn't by a developer I was already familiar with. This one feels several degrees stranger than this sort of thing usually is, which itself is kind of impressive.

Also, be sure to check out the game files, there are some quality file names, such as "fruit.bat" and "BringBackBilly.petition"

(This was made by the same guys did that Bubsy 3d "remake" where you go to an art gallery if anyone played that)

Go into Extra Data Files/Unsafe Files/Corrupted Data and there is a file called SegaNet.exe. Run it (Windows may tell you it's dangerous, it should be fine though). Username is mjstudio, password is wh1t3Glove. I don't think the other settings matter. Now relaunch SDC and make a new character in the creator, take a screenshot, and upload it to SegaNet. Then you can go into Eggman Origin and you can play the MMO.

I just tested an old PS2 that's been sitting in the cupboard with a copy of Sonic Mega Collection. Besides realising just how awful a composite signal looks after a decade of HD, I also came across this abomination in the Extras section. A genuine Archie Comic cover from Nov '96...

Sonic_Live_zpscqxxogmj.jpg

Canon. It's true. All of it.

I had that particular issue when I collected Sonic comics in elementary school. It was awful and ugly even then.

I think that's the dirty work of Ken Penders who has a whole other mess of crazy stuff with him and his bad Knuckles storyline and character rights which may or may not be worth wasting an hour of your time reading about.

I had that particular issue when I collected Sonic comics in elementary school. It was awful and ugly even then.

I think that's the dirty work of Ken Penders who has a whole other mess of crazy stuff with him and his bad Knuckles storyline and character rights which may or may not be worth wasting an hour of your time reading about.

Good lord.  I wouldn't wish a Wikipedia page like that on my worst enemy.

Somewhere in my parents' home is a sealed Archie Sonic Holiday Special from 199X.  I loved the Archie Ninja Turtles but wouldn't read their Sonic, for whatever reason.

Haha they were mostly pretty bad. I collected Sonic, Simpsons, and Animaniacs comics through most of elementary school years before abandoning all of that. They basically ate up all of my allowance for a long time. Late sold a bunch of those early Sonic comics on ebay in 2009 for about four hundred bucks total, so I'm glad there are still crazed fans I guess. My mom really didn't want me pulling them out of their attic because she felt I should treasure them, but I am never gonna read that stuff ever again.

Probably the best thing part of that time in my life is I Sonic fan art in fifth grade and I just got some thanks in an issue on a big list of names. Later I realized the comic was changing from bad puns and hijinks to furry adventure stories and I abandoned the comic series so I didn't really read past issue 50. Some dude in high school showed me that the fan art later appeared in an issue three years from then and I was pretty embarrassed. He should have been embarrassed for reading Sonic the Hedgehog comics in high school but it didn't really work out that way. I guess they were running out of submissions and had to scrape the bottom of the barrel.