Cordeos

Stellaris: Iron Victoria Europa Kings in space!

Dewar, when I did it just said "you cannot control ships produced by your sector."  I'll try it again when I play tonight, maybe I didn't try to force it hard enough.

I declared a rivalry against someone I was planning to war with which gave me tons of influence points. Those ended up being very handy for soending to ignore their repeated calls for a white peace.

Weird, I ran into that same issue and it was just a visual thing. Maybe when they patched last, they disabled it entirely? I'm pretty sure I did it last night though.

So far I have played four games:

1st UN one I mentioned earlier when I was war declared 30 years in by my best friend and lost.

2nd UN one I got 200+ years in with a pretty strong federation, but then a war was declared that the surrender/impose demands button is not functional for.

Then I played an insectoid religious warlike species on hard, but the jump up of difficulty as well as playing with a spiral galaxy and hyperspace killed me pretty quick

Now 200 years into a fungoid materialist/war game where I just managed to knock down my nearest rival by a few pegs in the biggest and evenest war I've been in any of these games so far.

I think about playing it a lot. I play it every day when I get home, but I'm still not sure why. Whatever middle game Paradox talked about developing just isn't materializing for me. I've had one rebellion total in all these games, it was a bit frustrating but nothing I couldn't handle. I've had some major middle-game events, but no choices to make about them, just clicking "That's too bad" on the pop-up and moving on, War seems to be the only thing worth pursuing once you get big enough, and then once you take out a few people even that looses it's luster.

*shrug* But I keep on playing it, so it must not be that bad. I hope they really expand the diplomacy part of the game. The thing I liked about CK2 was being able to take over countries through political games rather than out-right fighting.

THIS GAME

THIS GAME

I MAY NEVER PLAY ANOTHER

ok, got all my excitement out, as a fan of CK2/EU4 who grew up on Next Gen this is my dream game.

I've gone through the whole thread and the best analogue (in my opinion), Sins of a Solar Empire hasnt been mentioned yet. Its old but there are a lot of similarities, especially when i comes to the diplomacy and early "star grabbing". Just an thought it was interesting reference point for some of the interface complaints, especially regarding the galaxy map switching, I founds Sins endless mouse wheel scrolling just as tedious if not more than Stellaris' system.

As for the pacing, I found after watching a few Arumba videos prerelease that I could pretty much 2x through the early scouting and slow resource build up. But once I hit the midgame theres just too much going on to play any faster than 1x.

Thats all for now, a lots already being said, except for I had a super hilarious District 13 come about in one of my campaigns.

I was playing as UN humans, with the Xenophile and Individualist traits. All through the game i made sure to avoid divergence, always picking the same traited colonists and what not, so my empire was happy and unified. My neighbors were all pretty stable and lots of room of their own to expand into so i didnt get into any wars for a really long time. I finally decide to start a war against a weaker empire i have pretty much surrounded and isolated. Long story short, I win the war with the set goal of ceding 3 planets.

Then i check my governments policies.

I cannot purge. I cannot enslave. I cannot forcibly resettle.

The planets are all max tile max pop, all alien and have super low happiness. After a few months they form a seperatist faction, start sabotaging their own buildings and generally ruining their planet. I just have this miserable Alien population living in refugee camps next their toppled skyscrapers. And i cant do much to help them. Its just a hilarious representation of what would happen if a bunch of alien loving bureaucrats decided to go to war for financial reasons and didnt anticipate the consequences.

2) Remember, declaring rivalries gives you +0.75 influence points a month. So it's to your advantage to declare rivalries against powerless or far-away empires for influence.

Also thanks for this! Need to know that sòoooooo badly!

I really need to dig into the UI of this game because at the moment there is a bunch of info I feel like I should have access to that seemingly isn't available. Most tediously, trying to figure out what my empire borders will look like if I plop down a colony outpost (or whatever they're called) somewhere, and also what it will look like if I remove one. It makes expanding your empire feel like this really annoying chore.

The influence you get for rivals varies with your war/pacifist leanings, as does the penalty for alliances.

The influence you get for rivals varies with your war/pacifist leanings, as does the penalty for alliances.

I've been so busy expanding my empire in my first game, and having been surrounded by Fallen Empires and spiritualists, that I haven't bothered to declare war at all because I still have plenty of space to expand into. Do xenophiles get influence points for making alliances and federations? I was avoiding them just to prevent needless wars that the allies would drag me into.

I've been so busy expanding my empire in my first game, and having been surrounded by Fallen Empires and spiritualists, that I haven't bothered to declare war at all because I still have plenty of space to expand into. Do xenophiles get influence points for making alliances and federations? I was avoiding them just to prevent needless wars that the allies would drag me into.

I believe it's just the pacifist/militarist trait that effects influence from alliances/rivals. From the wiki, it doesn't look like it ever actually gives you points for alliances, it just doesn't hurt as much.

http://www.stellariswiki.com/Ethos

Dev update concerning next major Stellaris updates:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-33-the-maiden-voyage.932668/&utm_source=in-game&utm_medium=game-client&utm_content=devdiary&utm_campaign=stellaris_devdiary_20160516

... We will spend the rest of May and June only focusing on bug fixes and free upgrades to the game. We carefully listen to all your feedback, which has already made us alter our priorities a bit. As a veteran designer of our complex historical games, I was anticipating a fair amount of criticism regarding the mid-game in Stellaris compared to that of our historical games, but I was more concerned with the depth of the economy than the relative lack of diplomatic options, for example. I also find much of the feedback on the Sector system interesting; the GUI and AI concerns will receive the highest priority. One area I was not at all surprised to get flak for is the lack of mid-game scripted content, however. We simply took too long getting all the early and late game stuff in, and neglected a whole category of events called “colony events”, which were supposed to be the bread and butter of the mid-game for the Science Ships.

We’ve been digesting and discussing your feedback and how to best go about improving the mid-game to make it more dynamic, both in the short and long run. Let’s start with our short term plans. When the game was released, we had already proceeded to fix a lot of issues. Together with some other pressing issues that have been reported, the plan is to release the 1.1 update - “Clarke” - near the end of May. We will try to cram as much as we can into this update, but the more fundamental stuff will have to wait until the next update (“Asimov”), which is scheduled for the end of June. The “Clarke” patch will mainly be a bug fix and GUI improvement update. Here are some of the highlights:

"CLARKE" HIGHLIGHTS

• Fixes to the Ethic Divergence and Convergence issues. Currently, Pops tend to get more and more neutral (they lose Ethics, but rarely gain new ones.)
  • The End of Combat Summary. This screen looks bad and also doesn’t tell you what you need to know in order to revise your ship designs, etc.
  • Sector Management GUI: There are many issues with this, and we will try to get most of them fixed.
  • Diplomacy GUI issues. This includes the Diplomatic Pop-Ups when other empires contact you, but also more and better looking Notifications, and more informative tooltips on wars, etc.
  • AI improvements: Notably the Sector AI, but also plenty of other things. This kind of work is never "finished"...
  • Myriads of bug fixes and smaller GUI improvements.
  • Late game crises bugs. There were some nasty bugs in there, blocking certain subplots and various surprising developments.
  • EDIT: Remaining Performance Issues. We know about them; they might even be hotfixed before Clarke.
  • EDIT: Corvettes are too good.

After that, we’re moving on to the “Asimov” update, and this is when we can start making some major gameplay improvements to especially the mid-game. As you might have guessed, we plan to add some new diplomatic actions and treaties. Another thing that struck me during our discussions is that the normal lack of access to the space of other empires makes the game feel more constricted than intended. It limits your options since you can’t really interact much with the galaxy beyond the borders of your empire, and you only tend to concern yourself with your direct neighbors. This is bad for your Science Ships too, of course, since they might not be able to finish some of the grander “quests”. Compare the situation with Europa Universalis, where you usually have access to the oceans and can thus reach most of the world, or Crusader Kings, where you can even move through neutral territory with your armies. We also intend to add as much mid-game scripted content as we can. Thus, this is currently the plan for “Asimov”, but it’s not set in stone yet, so please bear with us if something gets pushed or altered:

"ASIMOV" HIGHLIGHTS (NOT SET IN STONE!)

• Border Access Revision: Borders are now open to your ships by default, although empires can choose to Close their borders for another empire (lowering your relations, of course.)
  • Tributaries: New diplomatic status and corresponding war goals.
  • Joint Declarations of War: You can ask other empires to join you for a temporary alliance in a war against a specific target.
  • Defensive Pacts.
  • Harder to form and maintain proper Alliances.
  • More war goals: Humiliate, Open Borders, Make Tributary, etc.
  • Emancipation Faction. We had to cut this one at the last minute. Needs redesign.
  • Diplomatic Map Mode. Much requested!
  • Diplomatic Incidents: This is a whole class of new scripted events that causes more interaction with the other empires.

Past “Asimov”, I can’t give you any kind of specifics yet, but I am currently leaning towards honing in on the following general areas for the “Heinlein” update (these are not promises!):

CURRENT "HEINLEIN" INTENTIONS

• Sector and Faction Politics: We are working on a design for this. I always wanted to make Factions more closely tied to Sectors, for example...
  • Federation and Alliance Politics: As a player, you need more ways of interacting with the other members, push your will through, and get elected, etc.
  • Giving Directions to Allies and Subject States.
  • Strategic Resource Overhaul: You should need these and search for them far and wide. They should be extremely important.
  • Battleship Class Weapons. Some Battleship front sections will be repurposed for an XL size weapon slot. There are currently four ship sizes but only three sizes to weapons, creating an imbalance. Also, Battleships should have fewer small weapon slots and have to rely on screens of smaller ships.
  • Fleet Combat Mechanics: Formations and/or more complex ship behavior is needed.
  • Mid-game scripted content: Guarded “treasures”, mid-game crises, colony events, etc.
  • Living Solar Systems: Little civilian ships moving around, etc.

Again, remember that we need to be somewhat flexible when things don't work out or when something else takes priority, so please take these later plans with a large grain of salt. As always, we also listen keenly to your feedback, so keep it coming!

Now, I am sure you are full of questions about the details, but hold your horses; it will all be explained in the coming dev diaries!

Dewar, when I did it just said "you cannot control ships produced by your sector." I'll try it again when I play tonight, maybe I didn't try to force it hard enough.

I have an observation post over a planet of primatives in one of my sectors that I can't do anything with because it's apparently not under my control- despite me building it and putting it there. So it seems like something the game is doing that needs fixing - which judging from yesterday's development diary post they are looking into addressing.

One of my sectors has 20k+ of minerals I can't access too. Considering I got my butt handed to me in an earlier war I could really use those minerals to rebuild my fleet. Does anyone know if it's doable, other than dissolving the sector, using the minerals and then reforming the sector? Because that's going to cost me more influence than I can afford.

Dewar, when I did it just said "you cannot control ships produced by your sector."  I'll try it again when I play tonight, maybe I didn't try to force it hard enough.

I was able to send sector controlled colony ships places by going to the planet I wanted to colonize and clicking 'colonize' The list of ships pulled up includes the sector controlled ones.

We simply took too long getting all the early and late game stuff in, and neglected a whole category of events called “colony events”, which were supposed to be the bread and butter of the mid-game for the Science Ships.

This is so Star Trek! The Enterprise scooting around the sector solving colony problems... that's what I want in this game!

I was able to send sector controlled colony ships places by going to the planet I wanted to colonize and clicking 'colonize' The list of ships pulled up includes the sector controlled ones.

Update: I was able to do the same thing. Thanks!

I am pleased to see that post, unsurprised that they have a whole slate of balance, testing, updates, and fixes, unsurprised that they are aware of places in the game people are having issues, yet pretty surprised at the tone and directness of that post. That's pretty cool. Maybe I just don't go on the Paradox forums enough (read: ever) to see that.

Sounds like they're working on exactly what i want, so that's good.

In other news, I'm trying to bring my latest game to a conclusion of some sort. I ended up getting declared on by a federation of five other empires. Man, that was an exhilarating fight, outmatched and doing guerrilla strikes on enemy wormholes to break their fleets apart then nipping at the heels of the smaller fleets. Unfortunately, it was broken AI that ended up deciding the war. I managed to get in and land troops on the capital planet of one of the larger members of the federation. The computer then floated 20k worth of fleet above the planet, but kept sending one or two troops at a time trying to take it back. With their major fleet anchored and the slow drain on resources of sending so many soldiers to their doom, I was able to run around and destroy the rest of their star bases and finally out-grow their fleet.

Still really fun. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that combat is the expected mid-game past-time.I wonder if that's the difference between those sites that gave middling reviews and those that gave good ones?

Oh my god I thought you need a colony or an outpost in every system you want to mine.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

I'm glad I found out you could put outposts in all systems your influence spreads to early. It's also a good use for your frontier outposts, to get access to a tight group of worlds with lots of outpost resources.

I'm glad I found out you could put outposts in all systems your influence spreads to early. It's also a good use for your frontier outposts, to get access to a tight group of worlds with lots of outpost resources.

A nice little thing I noticed is that when you start sectoring up your empire, giving outposts to your sectors removes the influence maintenance penalty. Its a good tip to note when you start to need a lot more influence in the late game.

As I'm almost done with Uncharted 4, I will probably start playing Stellaris over the weekend. I want to experience the sense of discovery in the beginning, so I have avoided reading too much about the game. On the other hand, I don't want to "lose" 10 hours of progress just because I have fucked something up early on. Is there something I should know about the game early on that doesn't get explained in the tutorials?

As I'm almost done with Uncharted 4, I will probably start playing Stellaris over the weekend. I want to experience the sense of discovery in the beginning, so I have avoided reading too much about the game. On the other hand, I don't want to "lose" 10 hours of progress just because I have fucked something up early on. Is there something I should know about the game early on that doesn't get explained in the tutorials?

I think the full tutorial does a pretty good job walking you through the game.

It's easy to get into without watching any videos or reading any tutorials, the in game one should be fine. I have not played any Paradox games before, if you ignore that time I tried to play CK2 for 4 hours then pressed delete local content because I didn't understand shit, and got into Stellaris pretty easily.

So I loaded back into the game where I had just beaten that federation, and they were immediately able to declare war on me again. I'm not sure if it's because the leadership had changed hands, if truce timers don't count if the looser wants to go another round, or just a weird save/load glitch. This time, I was a bit more prepared, so it didn't take hours to smack them down.

Then, my best (and only at this point) friends suddenly went -100 for threat and started a war against me yelling about my aggression. Keep in mind I've only ever started one war, all the rest of these have been defensive. Anyway, they were much smaller than the other federation and it was a bit silly that they even tried to attack.

End game spoilers

And that's when I found out that both groups of attackers had researched and had been abusing jump drives, which explains why I had such a hard time nailing down their fleets. Now they've ripped a hole into another reality, and are being invaded. I'd love to jump in and help, but I imagine that an imminent invasion from another galaxy still isn't going to give a high enough positive opinion to do any sort of open borders. So I imagine they're going to fall one by one, and then the threat will be to large before I can hop in. I guess we'll see!