Cordeos

Stellaris: Iron Victoria Europa Kings in space!

I'm going to ask a really stupid question.

How do you make transport ships? I know I'm missing something obvious, but it's escaping me at the moment.....

For troops you mean? You just build the troop on the army screen of the planet and they come with transports. Note, I had to ask someone this as well, and never got to the point of actually invading during my war, so I might be missing some nuance there.

For troops you mean? You just build the troop on the army screen of the planet and they come with transports. Note, I had to ask someone this as well, and never got to the point of actually invading during my war, so I might be missing some nuance there.

There was a timed mission that required me to be orbiting a specific planet with a transport ship. However I had no idea how to build a transport ship when I couldn't find the option in the ship designer. I assumed it was some tech that I hadn't researched or something!

There was a timed mission that required me to be orbiting a specific planet with a transport ship. However I had no idea how to build a transport ship when I couldn't find the option in the ship designer. I assumed it was some tech that I hadn't researched or something!

I had the exact same issue and the exact same thought, although it was my war with the Fallen Empire that forced me to dig around in the interface and find the option. That's the downside of the tech system, it's hard to know if you're missing something in the interface or if you just haven't gotten the tech yet.

Anyone have any experience with defense bases? Do they block an enemy from getting any deeper into your space like forts in EU4? Do they force an enemy to fight them when they enter the gravity same well before they can blow up mining bases and such? Or are they only useful combined with ships at the location that get buffs from the base?

From the Blorgcasts before launch, defense bases force enemies in the system to fight them. I'm not sure if they have a limited range in the system that improves with technology or if it's just system-wide by default but that's how they work in a general sense. They put restrictions on them so you can't blanket a system with endless defense bases to prevent a turtle defense.

Hmmm. Just got into my first war as part of an alliance and we won really rather convincingly. However despite having figured out how to build troop transporters, and invaded and taken over two planets, when the race in question surrendered I lost all those planets to one of my allies.

Is that supposed to happen?

Hum, I think might be because the war goals. I am not sure, since I have not tried a war. In my current game (which the update didn´t broke) my to close neighbors are quite friendly.

One quick thing I find out now, is that by upgrading he capital in a planet (it is one tile of the surface, in case of colonies the first spot you choose) you can upgrade the other buildings around - this can help a lot to get more energy. You will need influence, but some techs can give you more.

Also I managed to allow a meteor crash in one of my planets... I could send a science ship but I got distracted and when I saw, it was too late.

Hmmm. Just got into my first war as part of an alliance and we won really rather convincingly. However despite having figured out how to build troop transporters, and invaded and taken over two planets, when the race in question surrendered I lost all those planets to one of my allies.

Is that supposed to happen?

When you go to war as an alliance, the two initiating parties (attacker and defender) set the wargoals for the entire alliance that cannot be changed, only fulfilled in part. It can lead to some very peculiar situations and I definitely wasn't thrilled when the Telcor went to war against a smaller neighbor, lost handily before my fleets could get there, and released a bunch of my systems to form a new empire as a condition of their surrender, with their holdings completely intact. I know that Paradox has been looking for ways to force members of an alliance to fight together, but letting the myopic and often inept AI give away the player's stuff doesn't feel like the answer.

Speaking of odd decisions, I'm currently fighting a war as one hyperdrive-using federation against another. I have conquered the entire empire adjoining my own, but all the lanes to the rest of the federation are blocked by a nonaligned member that hates both sides and won't grant military access to either of us. I've been sitting here, stuck at 19% warscore, for almost an hour now even though I've won every battle and held all my wargoals, because apparently Paradox did away with ticking warscore. The only way I see through this fix is to attack the third party, simply to gain access, and white-peace out before it gets too bad. It's not great.

Also, one more odd thing: you can't genetically modify alien citizens of your empire who originate from other empires unless you have a path of civilian access to their homeworld, a limitation that is not exposed to the player until they reach the last stage of that process. I have seven pops from a neighboring empire, quite hostile to me, and I can't modify them because I'll never get access to their place of origin. It seems like a very odd limitation, possibly even a bug...

So where do you see those war goals before you vote to go to war then? Of the 3 of us in the alliance one is a little weaker than me and the other a lot stronger. It was the weaker nation who got all the planets.

It does seem a little peculiar.

So where do you see those war goals before you vote to go to war then? Of the 3 of us in the alliance one is a little weaker than me and the other a lot stronger. It was the weaker nation who got all the planets.

It does seem a little peculiar.

War goals are set after the vote, you can check them by clicking on the war's button at the bottom right.

I bet this game is super fun in multiplayer, but goddamn it, there's no way I'll ever have the kind of contiguous free time I'd need to make that a satisfying experience.

Sometimes I miss being a teenager, but then I remember how much I hated life at the time and it's ok.

War goals are set after the vote, you can check them by clicking on the war's button at the bottom right.

But you can't change them if one of your allies is the one declaring the war? That seems a little....... Odd. And illogical.

Well, observation posts being included in sector management is confirmed to be a bug. Sector AI not following the "preserve tile" and "respect tile bonus" options has not been confirmed as a bug. Civilian ships built by a sector spaceport not being listed in the outliner and automatically returning to the sector has also not been confirmed as a bug. Not a bug but, as far as I can tell, the only advantage of a forming a federation, besides the achievement, is if you're behind in tech and manpower and want access to the federation shared-tech fleet; otherwise, it's identical to an alliance except only the current three-year president can declare war—even bonuses and penalties for joining and leaving alliances and federations are the same! I've begun to feel that this game needed another month of testing, at the very least, and that Stellaris is currently the most paint-the-map style of game that Paradox has ever made.

On the plus side, someone mapped the tech tree! It's a lot flatter than I imagined, with less interdependencies between related techs, but lots of neat ethics prerequisites and more than a few techs that have scientist-focus prerequisites, too.

But you can't change them if one of your allies is the one declaring the war? That seems a little....... Odd. And illogical.

Yes. By agreeing to a war that one of your allies is declaring, you are basically saying in advance that you are fine with whatever they decide, even if it involves giving away all of your lands if the other side wishes, should your alliance lose. There's no way to preview what war goals an empire might choose in a given conflict, no way to alter war goals once the conflict is underway, and no way to choose any peace options when ending a war besides all, some, or none of one or the other side's predetermined war goals. There's not even a system in place for exiting an alliance mid-war or making a separate peace!

It's a very stiff and fragile system, especially since the only war goals that currently exist are cede world, liberate world, and make vassal. I understand that Paradox will probably build out the options (like they did at certain points in Crusader Kings 2's post-release development) but it's a very spare list for a game that's supposedly been a fixture of office multiplayer sessions for months. Where are the war goals to dismantle stations, to force ethoi, to change governments, to deport alien pops? I guess we've learned that Paradox employees like to fight and conquer each other and don't pay much attention at all to internal empire management? Maybe they should get other people to test their games, in that case...

Yes. By agreeing to a war that one of your allies is declaring, you are basically saying in advance that you are fine with whatever they decide, even if it involves giving away all of your lands if the other side wishes, should your alliance lose. There's no way to preview what war goals an empire might choose in a given conflict, no way to alter war goals once the conflict is underway, and no way to choose any peace options when ending a war besides all, some, or none of one or the other side's predetermined war goals. There's not even a system in place for exiting an alliance mid-war or making a separate peace!

It's a very stiff and fragile system, especially since the only war goals that currently exist are cede world, liberate world, and make vassal. I understand that Paradox will probably build out the options (like they did at certain points in Crusader Kings 2's post-release development) but it's a very spare list for a game that's supposedly been a fixture of office multiplayer sessions for months. Where are the war goals to dismantle stations, to force ethoi, to change governments, to deport alien pops? I guess we've learned that Paradox employees like to fight and conquer each other and don't pay much attention at all to internal empire management? Maybe they should get other people to test their games, in that case...

Well I've just been pummeled by another empire who while they might not be as advanced as me have massively bigger fleets. I've lost my fleets and quite a few of my space stations, but they can't win because my allies are fighting a long war a attrition with them that basically a stalemate.

I'm slowly rebuilding my fleet (fingers crossed I get left unmolested,   but it's a long war that#s going to go nowhere. Plus the AI is being stupid. it should be targetting my other 2 space stations in the region, but it's ignoring them.

Damned if this is going to end well, but neither do they want peace. They can f*ck off if they think I'm giving them half my planets too......

On the plus side, someone mapped the tech tree! It's a lot flatter than I imagined, with less interdependencies between related techs, but lots of neat ethics prerequisites and more than a few techs that have scientist-focus prerequisites, too.

Yeah, along with my dissatisfaction with the text for some of the tech items, this is fuelling my desire to write a tweaked-tech-tree mod with a few more interdependancies and things.

(Also, looking in the game files itself, there's one or two techs commented out - including what appears from the name to have been a technology for gaining power by demolishing stars! I kinda hope a later update brings that back - there's strategic import in being able to remove stars from the map, given their role in providing routes between destinations...)

It really bothers me that the planets don't actually go around stars!

It really bothers me that the planets don't actually go around stars!

perhaps the UI auto orients so it just looks like they don't :)

Planets orbit at different speeds though. It's such a shame because if the game looked like a solar system model I think that would be really striking.

I suspect that it was for usability they stay still. As it is I find the arrows that send you to another galaxy to be confusing and unreliable, I always use the galaxy map to navigate instead.

I'm still saying it's lack of imagination (you could be interacting with orbits instead of planets). I haven't played very long, but the game is really growing on me. On a more positive note, I really love how the different species are presented.

The AI declared war on me, I have a big empire and powerful allies, I wonder if they know something I don't. In any event EXCITING!

A couple notes from playing:

1) You can construct starports around planets that you've assigned to a sector, and start ships building there, but the colony ship that I had constructed at a sector-ized starport was under the sector's control and not mine. So it sits there. Argh. Bug?

2) Remember, declaring rivalries gives you +0.75 influence points a month. So it's to your advantage to declare rivalries against powerless or far-away empires for influence.

You can still order that colony ship around, even though it's the color of your sector and doesn't show up on your overlay.