Cordeos

Stellaris: Iron Victoria Europa Kings in space!

"“We’re not creating one specific universe. It can be any sci-fi universe.” Johannson was referring to the way in which the procedural galaxies are more than a collection of planets and stars. By the late game you might find that one of your science ships has become the Event Horizon, ripping a hole in reality to a dimension of horrors. Before you know it, you’re scrabbling to militarise in order to survive a fight against invaders from beyond and you’ve accidentally fallen into Warhammer 40K.

Or maybe you train the world’s greatest scientist-adventurers, create the most advanced ships in the universe, and set up silent listening posts on the moons orbiting planets that are home to pre-spacefaring species. You can learn from them, guide them and eventually become their patrons. You are a Banksian Culture."

Go on......

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/

"Or maybe you train the world’s greatest scientist-adventurers, create the most advanced ships in the universe, and set up silent listening posts on the moons orbiting planets that are home to pre-spacefaring species. You can learn from them, guide them and eventually become their patrons. You are a Banksian Culture."

God, this sentence drives me wild with excitement. A space 4X where a possible endgame is not supreme political and economic domination, but a more postmodern and observatory role? Jeez.

I also feel a little sorry for Chris King, who left Paradox to make his own 4X, Galactic Inheritors. I feel like that hasn't got as much attention, and now maybe it won't get much more.

Or maybe you train the world’s greatest scientist-adventurers, create the most advanced ships in the universe, and set up silent listening posts on the moons orbiting planets that are home to pre-spacefaring species. You can learn from them, guide them and eventually become their patrons. You are a Banksian Culture."

Whoa, this was actually said? Very interesting.

Whoa, this was actually said? Very interesting.

To be fair, it's Adam Smith saying it, after a much vaguer quote from EU4 lead Tomas Johannson, but still...

Until actual gameplay is shown to prove otherwise, I'll assume that territorial imperialism will be the main language of the game kinda like every other strategy games out there.  I know how one civilization offering 'guidance' works in that context :P

Until actual gameplay is shown to prove otherwise, I'll assume that territorial imperialism will be the main language of the game kinda like every other strategy games out there. I know how one civilization offering 'guidance' works in that context :P

I would love if the UI etc. was designed to reassure you that your actions were those of a benevolent assister to other planets, but your actual in game actions are devastating to other peoples.

Also just occurred to me, does this have aliens? Biodiversity in science fiction always sucks but I could imagine this pulling it off much better.

I would love if the UI etc. was designed to reassure you that your actions were those of a benevolent assister to other planets, but your actual in game actions are devastating to other peoples.

Also just occurred to me, does this have aliens? Biodiversity in science fiction always sucks but I could imagine this pulling it off much better.

Yes they mention aliens several times in the article.

pretty excited for this....been looking for a space grand strategy that IS NOT Distant Worlds, and look! here it is! 

I just got reminded of this game and the 4x fever hit. I heard it was going to be released sometime around now? Or did it get delayed?

Stellaris Dev Diary Archive:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-developer-diary-archive.882950/

After watching this I can tell I'm going to get this game. At least I have a giant backlog to keep me busy until it comes out.

Yeah, the diaries on primitive civilizations and on uplifting species have done a great job of convincing me that this game is going to be a better sandbox than virtually any 4X game out there, if it's successful in its design goals.

Passive Observation - Star Trek Insurrection

Aggressive Observation - UFO conspiracies

Technological Enlightenment - Earth after developing warp in Star Trek, Krogan from Mass Effect

Covert Infiltration - UFO conspiracies again

I love that each kind of interaction is something I can link to sci fi. Also I can see conflicting feelings arising. In general I think I would passive observe until I was sure the species was safe to uplift. But if the species isn't safe to uplift do you covertly infiltrate to try and guide them on a better path or leave them to their own devices?

Out on the 9th May. I could have sworn blind I read somewhere recently it wasn't due out until next year!

Probably because it's so futuristic.

Looks good. I especially like the planetary colonization restrictions and end-game events that, correctly balanced, should keep the game from being too micromanaged. It also feels more realistic that once your stellar empire gets too large you will need to build additional super-hierarchies (using sector governors) to control it, sacrificing some control for size.

Here is another video showing the first 30 minutes of the game with Quill and Henrik (it is early build, so things might change)

I didn´t expect the portraits to be animated, I wonder if they are using something like Live 2D, which is often used in Visual Novels and Jrpgs to animate character sprites.