Jake

Idle Thumbs 222: The Bubble Guy

Idle Thumbs 222:

753__header.jpg

The Bubble Guy

This week we engage a randomly-rolled Steve "Hot Scoops" Gaynor for a series of increasingly-escalating heists and near escapes in The Swindle. Though he is cut down in his prime—side-swiped by a rainbow- and dollar bill-emitting enemy vehicle—it looks impressive as hell when the resulting accident scores a goal for his Rocket League team. Meanwhile, Danielle pines for every Rare game ever made ever.

Games Discussed: The Swindle, Rocket League, Rare Replay, Angry Birds 2, Fallout Shelter

I feel like a video game idiom is slowly being built around Fallout Shelter, where playing a game's mechanics well beyond their intended scope without actually breaking the game could be called 'letting the pope in'. 

It was good to hear Steve Gaynor on the show! I listened to every Tone Control before I had delved into the Thumbs episodes, so this was a good refresher. Hooray!

I love those Hot Scoops! All the Breckon stuff was great: Jenelle's email was better than I ever could have hoped and I think Precious will stick as his nickname. I'm really glad that somebody mentioned the F. Nick Breckoncast, because that's also my favourite Nick moment.

I appreciated the Rare talk too. My friends and I played a ton of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day was we were around 11. I never liked the Goldeneye or Perfect Dark that much, but Conker multiplayer was a ton of fun. That's still the game that comes to mind when I think of "attack and defend" game modes. For anybody who's interested in more Rare history, going back to their Ultimate Play the Game days, check out this episode of Retronauts.

Disappointed that with all the Breckon and burning talk there was no mention of Breckon & Bindburn, Attorneys at Law. That might be a bit too deep of a cut though.

Yes! Hot Scoops! :tup: New Fallout Shelter theme song! :tup: Nick Breckon revelations! :tup:

Jake's voice when saying "Which elements are cyberpunk and which are steampunk?" ("But wh-wh-why should they carry these monsters in their pocket?" guy-esque, but nerdier, a great comedic combination) plus Hot Scoops portends great things for this episode. Excited to listen to the rest tomorrow.

Yeah, I have to say I love the new logo too. Plus, the new Fallout Shelter jingle, which definitely sounds oddly Alexander Brandonish to me. 

I hope Chris Remo has a chance to encounter the vault of his own creation when playing Fallout 4.

I hope Chris Remo has a chance to encounter the vault of his own creation when playing Fallout 4.

A fallout game where you travel from vault to vault, each vault is generated by players of fallout shelter. Sort of like what spore did with the other aliens that showed up.

I finally signed up for natureboxdotcomslashthumbs, offer code thumbs. I love the new tag line, "Nature Box - Don't Ask Who's Paying For 'It". I'm excited for Nature Snax!

I am grinning like a fool over every segment of this episode.

Wha? What's with the Conker hate? That's pretty much the only Rare game worth playing, should you bother at all.

Also Jesus Christ, why is Polygon still using that awful Nos ad starring tough guy with the lisp six months down the line? I can never escape this ad.

Wha? What's with the Conker hate? That's pretty much the only Rare game worth playing, should you bother at all.

Is there actually a good game inside the literal feces you have to wade through?

Sometimes, it's often more of an adventure game than a platformer. Danielle describes it much better in the video on Polygon.

But like, there's a lot of Nintendo games out there to play instead of Rare games. They often don't star a cast of the most hideous 3D characters you will ever see.

Them's fitin words, son. Nuts & Bolts is super rad.

Oh man this cast had so awesome stuff in it. HOT SCOOPS!

I was trying to find that great Nick Breckon moment when he was streaming some with Chris. Then Chris starts staring silently at Nick upon which an amazing Breckonian moment occurs where he sees how long he can talk as Chris creepily stares at him. Which stream was that???

Also the question of "What is Nick Breckon?" never cemented for me until I heard the Larry David comparison and then it all made sense. Now I want to go back to listen to all those classic Nick Breckon podcasts.

I was trying to find that great Nick Breckon moment when he was streaming some with Chris. Then Chris starts staring silently at Nick upon which an amazing Breckonian moment occurs where he sees how long he can talk as Chris creepily stares at him. Which stream was that???