Sign in to follow this  
sclpls

The International 5 (TI5) - Dota 2

This LGD v EG match has been fantastic! Probably tightest games I've seen this TI. The dream is alive! EG! 

I'm very happy about my top 3 internet crushes doing so well in Aui_2000, ppd & Charlie, the EG manager.

Today's matches were far more amazing than last year's, but a long shot. I'm so glad I stayed tuned to everything like I did. My predictions were so out of whack but I'm still learning how the DotA 2 pro circuit works.

The ice vortex, ice blast, into echo slam may be the biggest play in TI history.  It makes the million dollar dream coil look tame.

I hope you stayed awake.

Luckily this deadmau5 performance will lull you straight to sleep afterward, if you did stay up.

That play, which I shall not describe / spoil, was so textbook. It was clean, and just... terribly efficient. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Today's matches were far more amazing than last year's, but a long shot. I'm so glad I stayed tuned to everything like I did. My predictions were so out of whack but I'm still learning how the DotA 2 pro circuit works.

Don't worry.  We all got it wrong.  Who had CDEC in the finals?  I had EG and LGD in my top 3, but I was wrong about Secret.

On a side note, is anyone else hating this deadmau5 DJ Set.  It's not so much that the music is bad as it is that it was weird and deflating.  Crowd roars for players -> and now a slow building random DJ set.

What?

Don't worry.  We all got it wrong.  Who had CDEC in the finals?  I had EG and LGD in my top 3, but I was wrong about Secret.

On a side note, is anyone else hating this deadmau5 DJ Set.  It's not so much that the music is bad as it is that it was weird and deflating.  Crowd roars for players -> and now a slow building random DJ set.

What?

Video games are new to sports events and how to close them out gracefully, give it time.

That play, which I shall not describe / spoil, was so textbook. It was clean, and just... terribly efficient. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

"IT'S A DISASTER!!!"  is burned into my brain.

Well dead maus definitely caused me to leave the stadium promptly so that was a bit unhype but otherwise what an amazing tournament!

I can't believe CDEC just forgot about that combo...

I can't believe they let Storm through in game 4 over Shadow Fiend, they literally beat that EG lineup the day before. But I think they were on tilt by then. Those first two games were great though.

I hope Bloodstone gets nerfed hard next patch so that takes care of Leshrac, Storm Spirit, and core Lina. Bloodstone carriers seem too good at the moment. Probably nerf that track gold from Bounty Hunter too.

"IT'S A DISASTER!!!"  is burned into my brain.

I didn't even hear it when the match was live, I was too busy freaking out in excitement on my end.

Luckily this deadmau5 performance will lull you straight to sleep afterward, if you did stay up.

only two ways to have redeemed that weird decision and zoom-in/out camera BS

1 - Dendi was actually under the mask

2 - took off the helmet and had a pitlord helmet on underneath

Well dead maus definitely caused me to leave the stadium promptly so that was a bit unhype but otherwise what an amazing tournament!

Yeah, that was... a weird choice.

What a series, though. I was in Key Arena for last year's finals, and the atmosphere was so muted - probably because Newbee took three 20-minute games. This year was fucking bonkers, even from home.

One thing I really appreciated about this year was seeing how much emphasis they put on who gets killed and how often. Compared to last year, the total death counts in each match were so goddamn low. There were more than one occasion where full team fights would break out, and then everyone escapes alive. Meanwhile, there were ganks on supports that weren't entirely meaningful, but then ganks on farming late-game carries that made a big impact. When I read all those changes I was only thinking about how it would change the play, but I never imagined what it would do for spectating. Seeing Dazzle die for the 5th time wasn't exciting this year. But seeing a late-game carry narrowly escape a gank? So. Much. Hype.

They really know what they're doing with the meta game as developers and I just approve of it up and down the board. Last year DotA 2 was just death match. This year it became much more.

Video games are new to sports events and how to close them out gracefully, give it time.

Dreamhack's SC2 3+ years ago had about as graceful endings as this. :P

What an echo

So, TI nitpick - I kept waiting for replays and detailed analysis and breakdown of plays and I never got it. You ask an extremely buzzed, tired man what he thinks of how people have named the play, but you aren't showing me the play while you're at it? Literal game defining, tournament winning moment has been identified (in the moment, by the live team!) and you only show it once before you go off air? Valve has a lot of really good presentation, and in general I like the casters, but that's such a missed opportunity.

As such, I will make you be my stand-in analysts and ask where the 3rd source of damage is coming from? The slam and the ice blast hit, but then the middle two guys just pop and I'm not sure why.

So I'm slowly catching up with the Grand Finals. Only seen game one so far but it had cool action and it was neat thinking about their warding and map control.

I'm with Badfinger on this. I'll be keen to sit back and watch analysis and highlight reels if they ever come out.