Sign in to follow this  
sclpls

The International 5 (TI5) - Dota 2

Well, that's Cloud 9 for you. They don't handle setbacks very well. I don't know if it's just EE or what, but something in that team doesn't work. They can never seem to get motivated after a loss.

I'm cheering for Secret but watching Chuan leap out of his chair after game 1 showed him so well. He was so excited/happy!

This feels worse than last years Orange aegis self deny

IG played so poorly in that last game it's no surprise they lost wow. Anyone would've beaten them.

This feels worse than last years Orange aegis self deny

*snip*

Holy shit the look on his face, that makes me want to cry. I never get to see the player reactions during this stuff.

The games today were so hype. Western DOTA still isn't quite dead yet after all. Feel bad for people that are into e-sports but haven't gotten into DOTA this TI is really showing off what they're missing!

LGD seemed to be stuck in some weird rut in that Game 2 vs CDEC.  It was like they had to pick AM because "thats what you do with a storm" - even though they already had the Ember.  Very strange, felt like TI4 finals - almost like auto picking - just because thats what is what you play (even if it doesnt work)

i had to get to bed before the EG game 2&3 - but they keep mixing up their picks (incl Techies sans Tusk) - i think it is throwing off others who are playing more reactionary

VP picked silencer in game 2 vs Complexity and it worked out great for them. It made me wonder why silencer isn't picked more, that hero seems really strong to me. Does he have some sort of weakness that I'm not considering?

I know very little about Dota (have played about 10 hours in my whole life), enough to more or less understand what's going on without getting the intricacies. I started watching Secret x iG Game 1 yesterday and all of a sudden it was 2:30AM and Game 3 was over? I don't understand what happened. I think I will have to watch more Dota today.

VP picked silencer in game 2 vs Complexity and it worked out great for them. It made me wonder why silencer isn't picked more, that hero seems really strong to me. Does he have some sort of weakness that I'm not considering?

If Silencer doesn't have a strong start (as in getting/being in the vicinity of kills so he gets free int), he's just a really squishy global silence. And silence is kind of easy to get out of later in the game, so if you pick Silencer you're kind of setting yourself a deadline in a way?

I don't know, I'm bad at Dota.

EG drafting Techies in match 2 last night made a world of difference. That was incredible how much it changed the game, and his mines didn't even catch a lot of people off guard. But the thought of being blown up was too much.

LGD seemed to be stuck in some weird rut in that Game 2 vs CDEC.  It was like they had to pick AM because "thats what you do with a storm" - even though they already had the Ember.  Very strange, felt like TI4 finals - almost like auto picking - just because thats what is what you play (even if it doesnt work)

i had to get to bed before the EG game 2&3 - but they keep mixing up their picks (incl Techies sans Tusk) - i think it is throwing off others who are playing more reactionary

Very easy for these teams to get myopic about what heroes they need to pick. Drafting is such a mind game and there's so much pressure for this tournament I think so many drafts end up being sub-optimal. I'm always so impressed with teams that come back after that first loss because it's so easy for the enemy team to be in your head at that point and teams will often over correct mistakes when in reality they only need to make slight adjustments.

If I recall correctly (feels like a lifetime ago at this point) EG played a Techies during the group stage vs another Chinese team without the Tusk. Most of the Chinese teams look completely unprepared to deal with Techies and would just ban the Tusk vs Western teams hoping that would cover both heroes. EG were able to exploit that weakness.

He's a bit like Legion Commander where you really need to snowball by getting lots of successful kills/ganks for the hero to be powerful, otherwise they are just kind of okay. There are specific lineups that Silencer is very good against so iris kind of rare to see a player that learns to play the hero at the highest level, but VP happen to have that player in Illidan.

Omg I'm so happy right now

Vp tried real fucking hard to throw at the end there tho goddamn

One of the players from the crowd was Dendi in a pudge mask. 10/10 I dig it.

I'm honestly so happy Secret lost.  I feel like TI has been a big vindication for the EG players.  CDEC's run in the tournament has been an amazing story as well.  For LGD B-team that left the organization to TI top 3 in a matter of months.  Pretty cool.

I just love rooting for the underdog!! I also kind if hate when the winner is... The team everyone expected to win. Makes for a kinda boring tournament, eh??

That said SumaiL is kind of an incredible player (omg that windrunner) and Fear is (one of) my spirit animal(s), so I will inevitably root for EG whenever they play.

Sad my bestest friend rOtk is out, though. I always want to see him win. ):

CDEC has been great, though. I'll be happy if they win, too.

Was really hoping MVP Phoenix would make it further. )))):

I am so sad about the Secret loss :-(

Very proud of how they went out though, they put up a much better fight than most teams.

Ran into Arteezy after the match and he was surprisingly cool about everything and talkative. Considering his reputation he gets props in my book for how he handled himself.

Rooting for VG at this point I guess.

I'm glad to hear RTZ is taking it well.  I really do think he is the best player in the world.  It feels like S4 really didn't adapt throughout the tournament.  I think having him as their drafter at a TI might have been a mistake.  The last time he won with Alliance, they were so good that they literally didn't have to adapt.  It was inevitable that they would get figured out and have to adapt and they just couldn't go do it.  As much as I like S4, he really tanked this TI5 with his draft and play. 

Either way, I am sure that secret (as we know it) are done with.  It'll be interesting to see how hard the shuffle hits the west this time.

I'm glad to hear RTZ is taking it well.  I really do think he is the best player in the world.  It feels like S4 really didn't adapt throughout the tournament.  I think having him as their drafter at a TI might have been a mistake.  The last time he won with Alliance, they were so good that they literally didn't have to adapt.  It was inevitable that they would get figured out and have to adapt and they just couldn't go do it.  As much as I like S4, he really tanked this TI5 with his draft and play. 

Either way, I am sure that secret (as we know it) are done with.  It'll be interesting to see how hard the shuffle hits the west this time.

Yeah I mostly agree with this. The misplays on his QoP in game 3 are neither here nor there, everyone in Secret has bad games but the rest of the team can come back, but the drafting was clearly suboptimal. It's not even like they are bad at heroes that are favored in the current meta is the crazy part.

I feel like Secret figured out a good theory for this patch quickly when it came out, so they won all the major LANs. But by the time TI rolled in the Chinese teams, LGD and CDEC in particular, developed a superior understanding of the patch and other teams adapted to greater and lesser extents but Secret seemed to rarely deviate from their initial theory about the patch. I think they also might just be really good at playing vs teams like EG and iG, but playing against teams of similar skill that they are less familiar with exposed serious flaws in their drafts and play style. In that sense they were always punching a bit above their weight.

Feel sorry for EG fans! Crowd was clearly disappointed with that early gg. What a stinker of a game.

Yeah those games were rough and PPD only has a night to figure out the Chinese team fight style.  The good news is that I am pretty sure no matter what happens these finals should be better than TI4.  As a EG fan I really want then to win, but if not I really like all of these teams.  I think Xiao8 is the best captain in the world and really like the rest of LGD.  A wildcard winning the whole thing would be absolutely incredible so it's hard not to love this CDEC miracle run.  And I am a fan of EG.  So, while I obviously want EG to pull the upsets and win, I'm happy with the last 3 teams.