Sign in to follow this  
sclpls

The International 5 (TI5) - Dota 2

MVP.phoenix are truly living up to their wildcard origins.

First they 2-0 iG, then they take a game off Secret (might have been 2 if they didn't lose 2 teamfights right before mid rax went down). They can take games off of anyone. It seems like they've settled into a groove, playing to their own beat. They're really proving themselves and shouldn't be underestimated

P.S. MVP.kpii aussie hope represent  B)

So there's detailed results of the group stage through Team Liquid's website.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/The_International/2015

Below is the win/tie/loss counts of 2-match series, and the points each team earned.

Group A

1.  LGD Gaming  5-2-0  17p
2.  Team Secret  4-3-0  15p
3.  compLexity Gaming  4-1-2  13p
4.  Cloud9  3-1-3  10p
5.  MVP Phoenix  1-3-3  6p
6.  Invictus Gaming  1-3-3 6p
7.  Fnatic  0-4-3   4p
8.  Natus Vincere Natus Vincere  0-3-4  3p

Group B

1.  Evil Geniuses  3-4-0    13p
2.  CDEC Gaming  4-1-2    13p
3.  EHOME  2-5-0    11p
4.  Team Empire  2-3-2   9p
5.  Virtus.pro  2-3-2   9p
6.  Vici Gaming  1-4-2    7p
7.  Newbee  0-6-1   6p
8.  MVP HOT6ix  0-2-5    2p

So uh, there's no nice way to say it but Na'Vi, MVP Hot6, and Fnatic played terribly. Newbee, the defending champs, performed mostly with ties throughout the last few days. Cloud 9 frustratingly had a tie-like record as far as raw wins and losses goes. A lot of people are saying it's gonna be Team Secret vs. LGD in the late stage of TI5 but the way the brackets are set up it's impossible for them to be in the final match. Kinda hoping to see Secret pull out ahead.

It's a double elimination bracket, any team can play any team in the finals regardless of brackets. 1st round has Secret play EHome, that could easily be the final if they both go undefeated except to each other.

Rad I didn't think there were any aussies in there. Will have to follow their games as well now ;)

Some interesting teams in the top bracket that I hadn't heard of before this week. CDEC, EHOME, and Complexity all looked really good in the couple of games that I caught. I hope either MVP Phoenix or Newbee storm back from the looser's bracket and make the final round.

Complexity was new to me as well, and a pleasant surprise.

EHOME is a DOTA team with some history though! They played against Na'Vi in the finals for the first TI. My big criticism of the Free to Play movie is that the narrative framed EHOME as the villains that the good guys had to beat. They were treated as this impersonal juggernaut team. The non-Chinese teams all had coverage of players like Dendi and Fear humanizing them and assigning them personal narratives. I think that was a big disservice to all the Chinese DOTA fans as well as playing into some lazy xenophobic tropes.

CDEC is a relatively new team having formed in October, but they are definitely impressive.

I've been enjoying the clips Valve has been releasing covering the players for the various teams. I've been told by friends of mine that follow professional LoL that the player bios there tend to emphasize how much of a rockstar the players have become since becoming LoL pros. If true, interesting contrast with these DOTA videos where the themes hit are on how much the players have sacrificed to be at TI and their relationships with their families. Almost definitely a reflection of how these games play on our identities.

Complexity is the worst because they have MoonMeander who is a bad person.

Complexity is the worst because they have MoonMeander who is a bad person.

Yeah, I agree. Complexity's gonna bomb as well. If they win 2 more games in all their future series I'll be impressed.

In the DOTATV chat most people seemed to praise Team Secret as the possible winners this year, though people are down on RTZ a lot. Which is weird because that guy was making a TON of plays to win matches.

The other breakout player is Sumail. That kid is amazing.

Arteezy is a very good player but he's also been an enormous ass in the past. Not too surprising to me. His attitude invites criticism. He's like the anti-Dendi.

Arteezy is a very good player but he's also been an enormous ass in the past. Not too surprising to me. His attitude invites criticism. He's like the anti-Dendi.

Yeah but he was 15-16 years old in the past. He seems a lot more chill nowadays.

Moonmeander's the guy who's praising HoN's flaming pub voice chat in an interview and how it actually makes him a better player for getting into shouting matches.

Yeah people can change. I agree he's more chill! But the internet, beast that it is, never forgets.

MM defo deserves all the heat he gets. Well, "deserves" is a strong word.

The thing with people acting like a jackass in their past and remembering it is that it's all a matter of what perspective. IF someone does turn around for the better but people keep bringing up the past, the failure is on the observers, not the person who improved.

Yes I was only explaining why he was getting heat, not justifying it.

I'm still still predicting an EG v Secret Grand Final, primarily because I know nothing about Chinese Dota. I should check out those profile videos mentioned above.

I'm still still predicting an EG v Secret Grand Final, primarily because I know nothing about Chinese Dota. I should check out those profile videos mentioned above.

If we ignore that Secret's gonna win, Top 3 spots will have Secret/EG and a Chinese team. Unless EG chokes hard.

LGD is definitely, at minimum, making the top 3. As much as I hate to say it.

EG's chances of winning seem to be based on whether or not they can pull out some new strategy that not everyone resorts to and doesn't know how to counter. Secret seems most versatile.

By the way the compendium is updated to allow us to make predictions on the main event. I'm confident on all my number based predictions but the character based ones I don't know. Aside from most deaths. That's totally going to Dazzle. Picked most I'm thinking QoP. Banned most... Undying?

Edit - Going with Lesh for most banned and getting the most kills.

If we ignore that Secret's gonna win, Top 3 spots will have Secret/EG and a Chinese team. Unless EG chokes hard.

I'm actually predicting coL winning the best of 1 and EG coming up out of the lower bracket for the Grand Finals :P

When are the new predictions locked in? I'm not able to update until tomorrow night.

That's really annoying. I checked on Sunday, but apparently not late enough? Now I'm probably going to miss it.

Edit: Hmm, I'm actually looking forward to all the looser bracket matches more than the winners bracket for the day. I guess maybe I'll watch the best of threes, then shut off the stream at work so I can watch them in all their glory at home.

Edit2: Wow, they are really doing it up for the opening ceremonies. 

...it starts

Im watching on twitch at work, anyone else watching (today or the rest of the week) and place for IT only commentary - the twitch chat is a series of heads and racist comments

**in twitch ive got an Idle Thumbs group chat - idk if worth sending invites

Twitch is blocked for me here, so I'm either on the Dota Watch page (which seems to get through even though it's based on Twitch) or Youtube. Most chat clients are blocked here as well.

I have Thursday and Friday off though, so any sort of chat during those days I'm all for.