Jake

Idle Thumbs 221: Meet the Kerfluffles

Chris...you didn't really need to burn those poor people in an abandoned room in your vault did you? You just wanted to!

You had the perfectly good option of setting them free, out into the wasteland with no hope of ever returning. At least that way they would have had a chance to control their own destiny. Sure, the game makes this final act of self-determination a futile quest that always ends in death, but surely it's better to let them live the last few hours of their life with the irradiated wind in their hair, not trapped in a sealed room?

For shame.

Chris' obsession with efficiency lead him to an important decision: Which uses more air in the Vault, the fires, or letting them walk allllllllllll the way to the entrance?

For what it's worth, Titanfall DLC has been free- at least on PC- since March. I've been playing it recently and really enjoying it! I see around 600 players worldwide during peak times (which isn't a lot), but have never had trouble getting into an attrition match. That said, attrition is basically the only mode people are playing, with a handful in the tower defense mode and campaign.

This bums me out, because the CTF mode in Titanfall is so super fun. I kinda burned out on CTF in the old PC shooter glory days, but the combination of that old mode with the particular melange of Titanfall spices was fucking magic.

This bums me out, because the CTF mode in Titanfall is so super fun. I kinda burned out on CTF in the old PC shooter glory days, but the combination of that old mode with the particular melange of Titanfall spices was fucking magic.

I'm a bit disappointed that I got into the game so late that I didn't get to enjoy this mode more. The last game with CTF that really appealed to me was Tribes Ascend. Like Titanfall, the way you move around the map was the biggest draw for me and sliding everywhere at high speeds was incredibly fun.

It tickled me to hear the Thumbs talking about how Star Citizen has canceled the FPS - in reality it just got delayed, which somehow was huge news, although if you ask me the only time Star Citizen should be in the news is when something ISN'T delayed, because I mean come on. I'm still super skeptical about Star Citizen fulfilling any of its promises, but I also understand the frustration of all the believers who have to deal with the sort of doom and gloom that accompanies all the Star Citizen talk, like "FPS delayed" turning into "FPS canceled" via a game of telephone with Derek Smart of all people at the switchboard.

They delayed it indefinitely, which is a term that is often used in game development to cancel something. I think people wouldn't be screaming canceled if they'd set a date, even if it was a year away.

I'm a bit disappointed that I got into the game so late that I didn't get to enjoy this mode more. The last game with CTF that really appealed to me was Tribes Ascend. Like Titanfall, the way you move around the map was the biggest draw for me and sliding everywhere at high speeds was incredibly fun.

Running back with the flag the entire way, not touching the ground, dodging huge robots was the best. I only got to do it successfully a couple of times.

Edit: Oh, I'm still interested in Her Story talk as well, though the window on that is certainly closing.

They delayed it indefinitely, which is a term that is often used in game development to cancel something. I think people wouldn't be screaming canceled if they'd set a date, even if it was a year away.

If you're paying attention to what is going on, it obviously wasn't canceled - they're giving weekly progress updates and talking about what needs to be fixed before they release the alpha. I'm not saying you're wrong to jump to conclusions, because normally when you see headlines on game news websites they're right, but with Star Citizen things seem to get blown way out of proportion. "Delayed indefinitely" in this context just means they aren't sure when precisely it's coming: if they had given a date a year away, that would have been way off and it would've made people angry for other reasons. There's no way for them to win, it seems.

Titanfall was my GOTY.cx last year...I still play it a lot, but its not easy to find a game any time you want now.  I generally play Hardpoint and on weekends I can usually (but not always) find a game and on weekdays its tricky.  I occasionally play CTF and its fun but its hard to find a game (on PC at least)...so I feel like I can't play enough to get the hang of it.

I love the movement...the last game I played this much was Tribes Ascend...and this is one of the few games to emphasize movement in a way that the Tribes and Quake games have...I really love having fast and graceful movement in an FPS game...I may not move gracefully in such a game but it gives me something to keep trying at (and failing at).