Sign in to follow this  
Chris

True Detective Weekly 5: Other Lives

I love Ani with all of my heart but it's not because I think Pizzolato is a good writer.

My take on Pizzolatto - when I'm feeling charitable - is that he writes material that could go either way, setting up really effective drama/character or simply coming off as self-important cliche. It depends on the delivery and this is all the more true given how, in interviews, he seems to always take the most on-the-nose, literal interpretation of his work. I think this is partly what happened in season 1, where - especially in the masterful episodes 5 & 6 the direction maintained ambiguity and complexity until the screenplay simply wouldn't allow it anymore. Miguel Sapochnik is the first director all season to elevate rather than fall prey to Pizzolatto's work.

Seems like we're gonna need an episode 6 thread...

Chris, Jake, Sean: Could you create threads for the remaining episodes in advance, so that we don't have to wait for the podcast to start discussing the episode?

My take on Pizzolatto - when I'm feeling charitable - is that he writes material that could go either way, setting up really effective drama/character or simply coming off as self-important cliche. It depends on the delivery and this is all the more true given how, in interviews, he seems to always take the most on-the-nose, literal interpretation of his work. I think this is partly what happened in season 1, where - especially in the masterful episodes 5 & 6 the direction maintained ambiguity and complexity until the screenplay simply wouldn't allow it anymore. Miguel Sapochnik is the first director all season to elevate rather than fall prey to Pizzolatto's work.

Seems like we're gonna need an episode 6 thread...

Oh absolutely - last night's direction was far superior to any other episode we've seen so far and the visuals matched the script in a really good way. The sound direction on this episode was also very surreal?

I'm sure this will be discussed a lot in the actual episode thread, but I want to join in with the preliminary thoughts.

Ani still hasn't discussed her assault, and I hope that Pizzolato is smart and just leaves it at the suggestion stage. As for the use of sexual assault in television writing, this to me was one of the better instances. It comes up during a scene where the music and camera shots make it look so much like a classic noir or horror movie, which adds a strong surreal sense to the proceedings. We are spared any scenes of Ani as an actual child getting into that van and those segments are kept blessedly short.

My problem with a lot of rape on television is how almost lovingly it is depicted. The quote about never being able to make a film critical of war because war always looks cool on film also applies to sexual assault, in my mind. Directors cannot avoid turning an assault scene into a sexually charged experience where the audience is both excited and horrified. This flashback had nothing sexually energizing behind it and stayed firmly in the realm of dawning horror. Crowds of darkly lit, naked women being essentially assaulted in front of Ani in junction with her quick flashbacks really worked to create a truly uncomfortable scene.

I also thought the knife part was well handled. I'm glad she didn't cut the man who was trying to have sex with, but instead cut the security guard out of a survival instinct. It's clear from her reaction in the car that her actions will weigh heavily on her, which makes the knife use feel more significant.

I'm still bummed that Ani had to have a sexual assault backstory, but I'm happy it was handled so well.