Sign in to follow this  
Golden Calf

Crone - a dev log

Inspired by boredom, Handmade Hero, and an idea for a game, I've put on my programming pants and got to work.

I'll probably end up using the project more as a way to learn OpenGL and other engine stuff, because I'm pretty sure my design ideas are too ambitious, but I'm alright with that. To that end, I've decided to code as much of the engine as I can from scratch in C++.

My first major goal is to make a procedurally-generated world with terrain similar to the original Roller Coaster Tycoon. And after several hours of reading and coding, I'm pretty blown away by my progress:

sib18aj.png

I can smell the money from here!

I'm trying to make a procedurally generated terrain also, although closer to sim city. I was going to be working in unity, but  I'm more than open to looking at OpenGL. I'd like to follow along with your progress, if you have any decent tutorials and stuff that you are following, please share!

I'm trying to make a procedurally generated terrain also, although closer to sim city. I was going to be working in unity, but  I'm more than open to looking at OpenGL. I'd like to follow along with your progress, if you have any decent tutorials and stuff that you are following, please share!

So far I've found this to be a great resource for OpenGL. They do a really good job of explaining what's going on as they build up features piecemeal.

Also, for engine stuff in general Handmade Hero has been a great resource and inspiration. Though this might be more low-level than you're interested in.

How have I not heard about handmade hero before! That looks fascinating. I'm going to try out a few videos, and I'll do my usual thing of going through a video a day if I like it. 

Thanks for the links, they both look pretty cool.

How is this going? You got me hooked on the Handmade Hero videos, One month later, and I'm 35 videos down. My world looks pretty similar to your original image thus far, but I'm hooked. I can make a square move around the screen, with the camera tracking and everything.

I'm going to set up a devlog now, but I wanted to say thanks for showing me those videos, and keep it up!