I have not had time to form coherent and cogent counterpoint but I wanted to register that I, almost fundamentally, completely disagree with where you're coming from on this. I have a much more positive outlook on the rise of competition in this manner.

I'd love to hear it. I've been thinking a lot about it (while continuing to play this game) and I probably took a slightly more extreme position in my original post than what I actually think. This is all coming from someone who has watched pro Starcraft for the last 5 years so I'm not anti-e-Sport in general. But yeah I'd love to hear your thoughts when you have the time. 

If I see some car-fashion that I must have, I'll think about getting some for myself.

I wonder if they will ever sell new directional pad commands. I would imagine that an emoji-pack would sell well.

And here I was thinking that they couldn't make a DLC that I would absolutely NEED.  Looks like I was wrong...

Just bought this, if anybody would like to show me the ropes, or just pulverise me whilst laughing like a maniac. Very happy it has crossplay -  a major factor in my deciding to get in reasonably early.

Edit: Well this is just insanely good fun :D

Just bought this, if anybody would like to show me the ropes, or just pulverise me whilst laughing like a maniac. Very happy it has crossplay -  a major factor in my deciding to get in reasonably early.

Edit: Well this is just insanely good fun :D

The most important lesson is, to paraphrase Nick Breckon: "don't be an ignoramous". And have fun!

My psn id is readysetgauche if you want to ride together and are on the playstation, but my Aussie timezone probably doesn't match up well with yours.

I've been playing  mostly ranked matches lately and I just got to the place where I feel like I am playing with people at similar skill levels to my own, consistently. This is where I want to be.

The most important lesson is, to paraphrase Nick Breckon: "don't be an ignoramous". And have fun!

My psn id is readysetgauche if you want to ride together and are on the playstation, but my Aussie timezone probably doesn't match up well with yours.

Would I need your psn if this game has crossplay? genuinely don't know how that works. And I'd like to play, with anyone from this forum, but you're quite right that the timezone difference will likely be a problem

I'm still playing this a fair amount and would love to get some Thumb games going. Whatever I'm playing, I'd probably be open to quitting in favor of a Rocket League game.

Edit: I'm in Seattle, so pacific time, yea.

My profile

http://steamcommunity.com/id/graddy/

I am on the Rocket League train. I entirely agree with the sentiment that it actually feels like playing the game compared to older football based games. I was not prepared for how exciting and frantic the physics makes it, but I am very pleased. If a Thumb sees me playin, feel free to message about a match.

I feel like none of the praise for this game prepared me for how much I enjoy the main menu music. If anybdoy wants to play some games on European servers, feel free to add me on Steam. Just let me know here that it's you, else I'll worry that it's somebody who's after TF2 items, or worse, something GG related.

Edit: Now with links!

I feel like none of the praise for this game prepared me for how much I enjoy the main menu music. If anybdoy wants to play some games on European servers, feel free to add me on Steam. Just let me know here that it's you, else I'll worry that it's somebody who's after TF2 items, or worse, something GG related.

Edit: Now with links!

added u can i ur earbud bud hahaha srsly plz

You can add me here for more riveting jokes like that.

I like this game a lot, and I wrote a few words about why. An excerpt of the full article below:

Rocket League can be understood by very nearly everyone from minute one. Since the rules are very closely based on soccer, the most popular sport on earth, they are instantly familiar to most of us. Even without this, the goal of the game is easily intuited the moment you see a big ball in the center of a field and two giant nets at opposite ends. There are no "power ups" to worry about, you don't need to pour over specification sheets to select the right weapon; you just drive at the ball, and bonk it at the other guy's net. At it's very core, the game is that simple. 

So I've been playing the shit out of this recently.

I was initially really down on the game, I hated how when you start, you're basically terrible at the game. Still, I got over that, but what really got me excited about the game, was I had a friend over.

We played together for like 6 hours , 12am when the pub closed to 6am when he had to go home. So much fun!

It's more fun together, but even alone it's great. I still suck, but I am definitely getting better.

Also...I am 2 trophies away from the platinum. Anyone able to help me get the play together with a friend trophy? I just need that and 150 items...

On 8/8/2016 at 11:07 AM, Griddlelol said:

So I've been playing the shit out of this recently.

I was initially really down on the game, I hated how when you start, you're basically terrible at the game. Still, I got over that, but what really got me excited about the game, was I had a friend over.

We played together for like 6 hours , 12am when the pub closed to 6am when he had to go home. So much fun!

It's more fun together, but even alone it's great. I still suck, but I am definitely getting better.

Also...I am 2 trophies away from the platinum. Anyone able to help me get the play together with a friend trophy? I just need that and 150 items...

Strange - one of the main things I like about Rocket League is that I feel it's immediately accessible since the premise is so simple. Was it just the mechanical learning curve that bothered you? If so, were you being matched with people beyond your skill level and that's what made it less fun, or is it just the frustration of whiffing itself?

Unrelated, I'm still playing the hell out of this game. A little over 500 hours played now & just hit Super Star in ranked 2's. Anyone else out there around the same 2's mark (on PC, NA) interested in buddying up & trying to push for Champion league? Steam name is same has here, if so. 

I'm not really at your level, I bounce between high challenger and mid star level, but if you want to play I'm Badfinger on steam same as here.

OK, cool let's give it a shot. I just added you.

I think making a run from challenger to champion in one go is unrealistic so I probably won't want to do exclusively ranked, but let's try some unranked. 

On 26 December 2016 at 0:32 AM, cakedotavi said:

Strange - one of the main things I like about Rocket League is that I feel it's immediately accessible since the premise is so simple. Was it just the mechanical learning curve that bothered you? If so, were you being matched with people beyond your skill level and that's what made it less fun, or is it just the frustration of whiffing itself?

Unrelated, I'm still playing the hell out of this game. A little over 500 hours played now & just hit Super Star in ranked 2's. Anyone else out there around the same 2's mark (on PC, NA) interested in buddying up & trying to push for Champion league? Steam name is same has here, if so. 

It was the constant whiffing. I couldn't hit the ball in the direction I wanted, I couldn't stop the ball and I couldn't get the ball in the air. Found it very inaccessible actually. It required devotion to be competent at.

Checking in to report that this is also one of the best games of 2017 so far, in addition to sharing the glory in 2015 and 2016.

The Giant Bomb Holiday Rocket League video was pretty great and made me kinda want to play again. I'm also bad though.

Edit:

Late to the party, but even using inferior mouse + keyboard controls I am having a blast with this. I love that the quick match times mean that I never really get that stressed out so even when, say, my own teammate accidentally blocks me from scoring, my instinct is more to laugh than to get pissed. There's something to it's chaotic nature (which maybe recedes once you're playing at higher skill levels) that makes missed shots and fuck-ups still totally fun.