I feel like I have learned recently that its possible to score from anywhere on the pitch, and to be more aware of goal scoring opportunities earlier in attacks. Also I really struggle in normal games after playing so much doubles. Its seems to be a lot less about running back-and-forth loops of the pitch and more about having a territorial role, which I'm not very good at.

Anyway, I'm still playing this game daily and loving it just the same as I did a few weeks back. Time to get working on a s1ck long shot and aerial m0ntage!

I went into a ranked match, a teammate messages "I got this" and two competitors immediately drop from the match (suspicious).

I'm like "You gotta be kidding me." Then I typed "I'll be the opposing team's goalie so we can have an interesting match." After being the opposing team's goalie for a little while, person who messaged "I got this" may have rage-quit.

So then my team lost the 2v1 match as we tried to catch back up in the last minute.

Justice has got a really nice kick to it, so it don't always go down smooth, but that shit is so potent.

You all play with chat on? I just immediately turn off voice chat and text chat in any game where I'm going to be playing with internet people.

You all play with chat on? I just immediately turn off voice chat and text chat in any game where I'm going to be playing with internet people.

The "You gotta be kidding me" was me using my inside-voice (I was just thinking it). But yes, I leave chat on. The directional-pad chat in Rocket League is actually pretty useful to me. "Defending" and "I got it" before the kick-off is helpful. I hope to eventually be able to say "Centering" when doing so, but that is beyond my current abilities.

Yeah I generally prefer to keep voice chat off for most games if it is an option, but the directional pad responses are too useful for me to want to play without text chat.

Yeah I generally prefer to keep voice chat off for most games if it is an option, but the directional pad responses are too useful for me to want to play without text chat.

Wow

Wow

Wow

Your chat has been disabled for 1 second

Wow

I like hitting a nice long shot and then directional padding "nice shot" while it's still in the air. It's so deliciously vain. The possibility of missing after that complements the situation for a nice risk/reward.

I've had so many opponents use/spam "nice shot" to themselves after scoring a goal.

I do not like these people.

I do not like these people.

There have been a few times where I've been about to send "nice shot" to them, and then they do it to themselves and I'm just like... Fine. You don't get compliments, person.

Great pass every time

E: I unlocked the ice cream truck last night, any idea why there's a twisted metal truck in this?

I finally picked this game up yesterday and it is indeed super fun.  I've been having some weird freezing/crashing though, did anyone have similar problems?  My rig isn't the newest, i5-2500k, GTX 460, etc, but I'm still way over the recommended requirements!  Or is it just that because I have an older rig I need to just turn off all the bells and whistles?  I unchecked every box and managed to play a couple rounds with no freezing, but I wanted to see if there was a better solution.  To be clear, I wasn't having any frame rate loss, no indications whatsoever of problems, but every other game or so the game would just freeze and eventually force close.  Seemed very odd!  Temps all normal, etc.

Weird!  Do you have your settings low?  It is an odd problem, I'm wondering if there's something specific on my machine that is causing it.  I've reinstalled video drivers and it's better, but tonight while playing I froze twice in one game.  However, this time was different than last, in that it didn't crash my game, and so if I brought up task manager and then tabbed back to it, it would work fine after a second.  I read elsewhere too that running it in windowed mode helped, so I'll be trying that soon too.  I'm also on Windows 10 which I didn't mention before so maybe that's why??

Anyway so as not to be a damper I've been really enjoying it.  I have about a half-dozen friends who play, and it's a totally different game when you can get a whole 3v3 group together!

Only played in the new arena once in about twenty matches, wish they would promote it a bit more in the rotation. Makes the way Splatoon did its map rotation pretty good looking, but I guess the arena is less critical to Rocket League than the Map is to Splatoon.

Meanwhile, my ep1c save m0ntage has been kick-started with a bang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcxd1fhkXj0&feature=em-upload_owner

I finally picked this game up yesterday and it is indeed super fun.  I've been having some weird freezing/crashing though, did anyone have similar problems?  My rig isn't the newest, i5-2500k, GTX 460, etc, but I'm still way over the recommended requirements!  Or is it just that because I have an older rig I need to just turn off all the bells and whistles?  I unchecked every box and managed to play a couple rounds with no freezing, but I wanted to see if there was a better solution.  To be clear, I wasn't having any frame rate loss, no indications whatsoever of problems, but every other game or so the game would just freeze and eventually force close.  Seemed very odd!  Temps all normal, etc.

Are you using a Playstation controller with x360ce?

A friend of mine is having similar issues and he thinks this might have something to do with his problem.

Clyde, I am using a 360 controller with wireless dongle.  I don't think it was the controller doing it, seemed to be something graphics related.  Every time more than four players would collide, and inevitably someone would explode, that was what seemed to trigger it.  A lot of things going on onscreen.  I'm not sure if that even CAN be a reason for something like this, but it was always the case.  

My graphics drivers updated today and I played just now for about 2 hours with no freezing.  So hopefully that fixed it?  I had been trying a bunch of different ways to have it all set up, and it just so happens that tonight I was playing with all the settings on low, so maybe from here, since I have a successful benchmark, I might try taking some of them up step by step to see if it really was the drivers or if I need to just play with the settings on low.  It doesn't ruin the game for me, but gosh is it pretty when you can see those crazy body paint textures!

I guess this is all really obvious and pointless to say but I've just been thinking about it a lot while playing and seeing everyone compare the game to physical sports. My long-term irrational worrying-person worry is that as these become more popular everyone will forget what it actually feels like to play a physical sport and then the robots/aliens will challenge us to a basketball game and we will all die.

I have not had time to form coherent and cogent counterpoint but I wanted to register that I, almost fundamentally, completely disagree with where you're coming from on this. I have a much more positive outlook on the rise of competition in this manner.

I'm surprised how much I like the new stadium. I tend to think that cosmetic-only changes don't have much of an effect on a game. But the horns and the tiles and the color feel fresh. It makes me wonder what some other stadium themes could be. Maybe a jungle-temple theme would be cool, or... I don't know. I'm just surprised by how much I enjoy it.

I'm surprised how much I like the new stadium. I tend to think that cosmetic-only changes don't have much of an effect on a game. But the horns and the tiles and the color feel fresh. It makes me wonder what some other stadium themes could be. Maybe a jungle-temple theme would be cool, or... I don't know. I'm just surprised by how much I enjoy it.

It's pretty great! Judging from the conversation in comment threads across the internet, people seem to be clamoring for "crazy" maps with jumps and obstacles. Really, I just want more like this new one. It makes it feel different, but doesn't change the balance of the game. Give me a ton of maps that look crazy (Rocket League: Arctic Circle, Rocket League: In the Jungle, Rocket League: On the Moon) but don't change the shape of the pitch or the feel of the game.

I'm having a hard time justifying picking up the paid DLC. On the one hand, this is my favorite game of recent memory, and sending a few more dollars to the people who made it would probably be alright. On the other hand, I still haven't unlocked all the cosmetic stuff in the base game (and my hot rod with a top hat already looks pretty swanky). 

If I see some car-fashion that I must have, I'll think about getting some for myself.

I wonder if they will ever sell new directional pad commands. I would imagine that an emoji-pack would sell well.