Weirdly, Psyonix is also the named dev on Nosgoth. That Legacy of Kain multiplayer spinoff.

It's objective based racing in that your objective might be to join a race of vampires?

What a weird couple of games to go between from one to the next. 

My love for this game is tumbling quite quickly after this weekend. My main problem is the way the points are disseminated. As a kid I played a lot of football and played mostly in goals or defense so I am inclined to play this game in the same way, but the game is crap at rewarding me for doing so. The detection of when I do things like clearances, saves, and centering the ball is really poor and because I naturally focus on these when it comes to the end of a game there is often a gulf in points rewarded between me and my teammates and that feels really crap. I think some of my disdain is coming off the bat of Splatoon which does an amazing job of rewarding players for different play styles and engaging in the busy work.

I guess Rocket League actually is quite similar to real football then: The guy who gets the hat-trick gets the glory whereas the grunts in defense have to reassure themselves of their importance to the team. Unfortunately quantifying this through points makes me feel penalized by the game for playing the way I do as well as being unappreciated by teammates.

Do ya'll use the ball camera? I'm trying to toggle it to find the ball and use it when it's pop-flying, but when at a distance using the regular camera. One of the hardest things for me to do in this game is stay in useful positions. I want to be far enough away that I can get some momentum up for when my teammates center the shot, but not so far that I miss the opportunity. Also, I am forever hitting the jump button twice when I should be hitting jump and then boost. 

I've been using ball cam exclusively but I'm going to try toggling it mid match and see how that goes. I have some issues with seeing other cars near me when the ball goes flying as is. I'm getting decent at rocket flying to get a high save or print it away from the crowd though, which I don't see a lot of other people doing online. Is there a skill match rating system when playing non ranked?

I decided to try some 2v2 tonight and I think I have found the game I am looking for. The matches are much less chaotic, everyone has to think about defence and not just one poor guy (me) and you have to work for your chances more, not just appear in the goal mouth at the right time for a tap in. Even better is that people seem to hang around longer in that mode. I played for about a hour with the same three people this evening and had some excellent matches. I felt like I was able to communicate more without the chaos of the bigger match. 

The detection of when I do things like clearances, saves, and centering the ball is really poor and because I naturally focus on these when it comes to the end of a game there is often a gulf in points rewarded between me and my teammates and that feels really crap. 

Do the points actually mean anything? I seem to unlock one thingy per match no matter how terrible I am.

I just saw a truck commercial before a Youtube video and I instinctively looked for a giant ball.

I've started spending some time in freeplay mode once I realized that I can't actually dribble. It helps.

Also, in the matches I play, the ball ends up in the corners for most of the match and I don't know how to manipulate the ball there. Spending time in freeplay is useful just because I have time to figure out what I want to do to cornered balls.

I bought this! 1-1 so far with random. Getting a goal is the best feeling.

Add me! I'm graddy on steam. My profile pic is an old school Wii standing upright, classic.

Gamasutra has an article on the history and origins of the studio and game: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/248925/Why_some_old_designs_are_worth_revisiting_A_Rocket_League_story.php

That was really interesting, thanks!  Fascinating that they did iterate with other ideas including racing and combat arenas, and that it was the soccer ball that ultimately ended up being the most compelling element. 

I wonder what the compensation package is like for launching on PS+.  I had assumed it had to be pretty good, since someone is literally sacrificing their highest sales period of a game's lifecycle.  But that made it sound like maybe not as great as it could be. 

I like that this game appears to have a really high skill ceiling. I suspect I'll be playing it for awhile.

I like that this game appears to have a really high skill ceiling. I suspect I'll be playing it for awhile.

Yup.

Related to that: Has anyone here reached the skill level where they can comfortably boost in air, and control the flight? I have seen a couple of player perform amazing tricks high up in the air, while I still miss a significant percentage of easy jump shots?

Interestingly, people who have never been into watching others play games are way into watching Rocket League. My buddy bought a second PS4 controller almost specifically so we could split screen it. Three of us took turns swapping 2v2 games, and it was almost as entertaining to watch as it was to play. My friend said "I'd actually watch people play this". It's easy to understand action, and it's colorful and fast. I mean, he's a hockey fan, so it makes sense. It's hockey. One of the hardest things for me to remember is when I'm trailing the play I need to swap to the other wing once the ball gets put deep. I keep staying on the same side, and it's hard(er) to fly in and follow up from the strong side wing.

I've pulled off some sick saves by rocket flying, and I can feel myself get better at it. I tend to play more defensive than most people though, so I'm still pretty bad at rocket flying to score a goal, I can just hit it away from something, not towards anything in particular.

I am loving playing 1v1 ranked though. Less people eratically driving straight towards the ball regardless of which team they are on or where they are facing makes things a lot easier for me.

Related to that: Has anyone here reached the skill level where they can comfortably boost in air, and control the flight? I have seen a couple of player perform amazing tricks high up in the air, while I still miss a significant percentage of easy jump shots?

I've pulled off some impressive saves with rocket-flying, but I whiff 10x as often. I can do pretty well in the training, but when the pressure is there, I hesitate or press the wrong button (this is actually something I enjoy about the game).

I am loving playing 1v1 ranked though. Less people eratically driving straight towards the ball regardless of which team they are on or where they are facing makes things a lot easier for me.

I'm still playing 3v3, but one of the things I've trained myself to do is just not get involved when a teammate is on the ball. With the exception of boosting the ball into the goal when it is on the line, I try to stay away from my teammates so they can do their thing and I'll be more likely to have an opportunity when an assist comes up or just to keep the ball near their goal with an easy bump when it get's shot out of the crowd.

-------------------

One of the things I really like about this game is that I have to make hypothesis about my teammates. I pay attention to whether or not they rush the ball at the beginning when they spawn closest to the goal and operate on that info for the rest of the match. I also pay attention to whether or not they tend to hold striking positions in the center when the ball is cornered and I fill out the role of centering the ball if that is the case. In first-person-shooters I never pay attention to what other teammates are doing. Super Monday Night Combat is the only other game I've played where it has felt possible (and necessary) to pay attention to teammates.

I've pulled off some sick saves by rocket flying, and I can feel myself get better at it. I tend to play more defensive than most people though, so I'm still pretty bad at rocket flying to score a goal, I can just hit it away from something, not towards anything in particular.

Hahaha yes. I haven't jumped into a multiplayer match yet (I expect to next time I play) but watching people play this on twitch I noticed the whole phenomenon of people just moving towards the ball at maximum velocity, and it was like, "do they not realize that this is not how soccer/football matches play out?"

Hahaha yes. I haven't jumped into a multiplayer match yet (I expect to next time I play) but watching people play this on twitch I noticed the whole phenomenon of people just moving towards the ball at maximum velocity, and it was like, "do they not realize that this is not how soccer/football matches play out?"

You have clearly never seen 4 year olds play soccer, which is exactly how everyone approaches a rocket car soccer game the first time they get in it! :P

I had a streak of 2-3 games I ended up playing with the same (random) teammate where WITHOUT FAIL every time I took the initiative, attacked aggressively, and failed to score, the other team would instantly capitalize. I said it, and when it happened for the third or fourth time he was like "wow, it really does happen". It's because no one rotated back to play sweeper. I like playing off the ball. It's fun, partially because it's so necessary but mostly because using an entire meter of boost to fly in and SMASH the ball into the goal from 3/4 of the way across the field while everyone pokes at it helplessly is so amazingly satisfying.

I'm already noticing that the whole dump and chase strategy works less often than it did at the beginning of the weekend. There are people who are willing to not be touching the ball at every second (inevitably on the other team) who will diligently clear crosses. The problem is I don't know that I have the mechanical skill to evolve my game to the next strategic level I know is there.

Playing a bunch of 2v2 matches in the last couple of days I can definitely see where people are getting smarter with regard to defensive awareness, looping back, clearances, and crosses etc, its getting so much more fun. You still get some people who race to the ball and sit under it falls on them but in 2v2 its so obvious when you make a mistake so people are usually pretty aware and apologize after a fault. I still really don't get that in 3v3 matches, there are too many people just racing in to everything and not understanding what they are doing poorly, its too easy to hide and blame teammates.

The downside of 2v2 is that when someone is replaced by AI the match feels immediately irrelevant. If you are on the losing side with AI you blame the AI for the loss, and if you are on the losing side without the AI you blame it for being over powered in defeating you. Its bad for all parties.

But the upside of 2v2 is that people stick around for a good half dozen matches at a time. For the first time in a long time I felt compelled to message another player on PSN after playing with them, I just had so much fun over the hour or so we played together. He was German and didn't have much English to type a reply but tried anyway, it was really cute.

One of the failings of the game I think is making a physical mistake that instantly gets punished when you shouldn't. ie not mis-hitting or failing a timing, but rather knowing precisely what to do and failing because the ball cam is sometimes really bad and you are literally unable to tell where you are spatially. I understand that things like that happen in sports, I've done them, but once you gain a reasonable competency you don't do things like just let the ball fly 2 car lengths over your head because you THOUGHT it was right at striking level.

I might try playing a game completely without using the Ball Follow cam to see how different it is.

I've begun to treat the camera like a special ability. I switch between the ball cam and the regular cam regularly depending on whether or not I need to know where the ball is.

----

Also, y'all this multiplayer is so good.

These videos were so much fun to watch:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-rocket-league-plays-of-the-week/

That webpage is a bit broken for me, they must expect everyone to have amazing internet to put that many long gifs on a single page. Anyway, I can't see the cars in the gifs, it's like I'm getting a quarter of the camera's view.

Also, I saved a replay of my own game and watched it. It was pretty cool.

Is it weird that watching good saves excites me more than good goals?

Is it weird that watching good saves excites me more than good goals?

I'm the same way. I may be weird though.