Yeah, I was unfamiliar with "ghetto rigged" too. Seems like the "ghetto jump" phrase doesn't have connotations of poor quality or cheapness, though, as it's simply a way of extending your reach. So it's a weird choice of term...

Embarrassingly, I heard the adjective "ghetto" applied to things long before I knew what an actual ghetto is. To me, it just means a cheap, quick way to do or fix something using easily accessible materials. I guess the equivalent of McGyver - or at least what I know about McGyver from The Simpsons. 

"Ghetto" doesn't even register in my head as having anything to do with black people. The first time I heard it in its actual usage was on holiday referring to a place in Venice called Giudecca, which was essentially a Jewish ghetto that only had access by one or two bridges that would be locked at night to keep the Jews out of the city outside of trading hours. 

Yeah, I was unfamiliar with "ghetto rigged" too. Seems like the "ghetto jump" phrase doesn't have connotations of poor quality or cheapness, though, as it's simply a way of extending your reach. So it's a weird choice of term...

I think it originated as jury rigged, that's how I always heard it. However recently I learned there is a super bad racist version of it that people have long said because my wife had to fire a crazy white girl from her work for saying it.

In middle and high school every damn preppy rich kid called things ghetto and it annoyed me to no end. Partly because I didn't have nice things so I was sometimes subject to this insult and partly because having a shitty old binder or backpack is hardly a thing to equate to living in a ghetto.

A bunch of the names for tricks in the speedrunning community have some unfortunate nomenclature.  Most of the time the move is named for either the inventor or more likely it's just the first thing someone said and the name stuck.  It's most likely what happened with the ghetto jump and while it's a poor choice of words, I don't think there's any malicious intent behind it.  Not that it's a good excuse or anything.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. It's doubly unfortunate because some of the kids are so young, they have no idea they're saying things that are even remotely controversial. Someone says it on a stream they watched 6 months ago, and now they say it because that's what you say, stripped of all original meaning. It's like uncovering the origins of the word "gank", which is everywhere in games and game culture. Then you find out it's gang shootings and drivebys, and while apt, it's insane that rap culture got appropriated by the most dedicated gamer groups.

Moving off unfortunate nomenclature, the didactic pedant in me really hates some of the more mundane vocabulary speed running uses. It's not a "strategy"! You probably don't even know you're using the word strategy, because everyone shortens it to "strat". It's not a strat, it's a tactic! Your strategy is to finish the game as fast as possible. Swordless is a strategy. Gaming the AI so you can kill three of them with one bomb is not a strategy. I'm not even a war gamer, but I have grognard rage over that. I also just don't really know what the usage of "tech" is.

Sounds like the Prince of Persia stream went badly in the best way possible:

"he game is known to do a lot of weird stuff on PC, particularly when its player is playing it in such an unintended manner. At one point in the game, Usher skipped a cutscene where the Prince tears off one of his sleeves — as a result, later in the run, his body texture just straight-up doesn't load:"

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/30/9073717/prince-of-persia-sands-of-time-sgdq-speedrun-henneko

S A M I don't want to be an alarmist, but you may be obsessed with PJ.

I watched the first 20 or so minutes of the run before I went to bed. Yeah, that run was already off the rails super hard. It's kind of exciting that it kept going.

What can I say, I love his runs.  I also like watching Murphagator, Klaige, and MechaRichter because when one of them is doing a run, the others are usually on the couch.

Sounds like the Prince of Persia stream went badly in the best way possible:

"he game is known to do a lot of weird stuff on PC, particularly when its player is playing it in such an unintended manner. At one point in the game, Usher skipped a cutscene where the Prince tears off one of his sleeves — as a result, later in the run, his body texture just straight-up doesn't load:"

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/30/9073717/prince-of-persia-sands-of-time-sgdq-speedrun-henneko

From a few comments that Henneko made during the run, it sounds like the PC version of that game is known for being really crashy in general, even if you aren't trying to break it. Some donors even started to join in joking about it, pledging money per crash or per minute lost to crashes.

I'm looking forward to checking out the archive for the FEAR and Shovel Knight runs, and there's another Mega Man block this evening.

I also just don't really know what the usage of "tech" is.

Technique? As in 'mad tekkers,' 'he's a master technician who will only improve'.

Moving off unfortunate nomenclature, the didactic pedant in me really hates some of the more mundane vocabulary speed running uses. It's not a "strategy"! You probably don't even know you're using the word strategy, because everyone shortens it to "strat". It's not a strat, it's a tactic! Your strategy is to finish the game as fast as possible. Swordless is a strategy. Gaming the AI so you can kill three of them with one bomb is not a strategy. I'm not even a war gamer, but I have grognard rage over that.

I dunno, I feel like the application makes sense when you acknowledge that the entire route is planned out beforehand.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. It's doubly unfortunate because some of the kids are so young, they have no idea they're saying things that are even remotely controversial. Someone says it on a stream they watched 6 months ago, and now they say it because that's what you say, stripped of all original meaning. It's like uncovering the origins of the word "gank", which is everywhere in games and game culture. Then you find out it's gang shootings and drivebys, and while apt, it's insane that rap culture got appropriated by the most dedicated gamer groups.

I always heard the etymology to be simply "gang-kill" (as in "gang up to kill"). My brief trip to Google tells me that the rap usage primarily means "steal" or "rip off", and I can't find anything suggested a shared etymology (the only dictionary declarationon on the game term I could find on it said "Perhaps from rap, perhaps sports jargon, origin unknown"). Do you have a source I can read on that?

Moving off unfortunate nomenclature, the didactic pedant in me really hates some of the more mundane vocabulary speed running uses. It's not a "strategy"! You probably don't even know you're using the word strategy, because everyone shortens it to "strat". It's not a strat, it's a tactic! Your strategy is to finish the game as fast as possible. Swordless is a strategy. Gaming the AI so you can kill three of them with one bomb is not a strategy. I'm not even a war gamer, but I have grognard rage over that. I also just don't really know what the usage of "tech" is.

​I'll defend the use of strategy. Merriam-Webster:

2 a :  a careful plan or method :  a clever stratagem

Collins:

3. a plan or stratagem

Dictionary.com:

3. skillful use of a stratagem
4. a plan, method, or series of maneuvers or stratagems for obtaining a specific goal or result
In military usage, a distinction is made between strategy and tactics

While we're getting pedantic, finishing as quickly as possible is not your strategy, it's your goal. That's like saying your strategy in war is to kill the other side's guys.

Getting back to the original topic, the Mario Kart 64 run might've been my favorite of what I've seen so far of the marathon. If anyone missed that, I recommend checking it out!

I watched the Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble run last night which was actually kind of hilarious.  It's originally a Game Boy Color game which had accelerometers built into the cartridge.  You play the game by tilting the Game Boy to control Kirby as he rolls through various courses.  It's essentially super early motion control.  Because they can't capture video off of a Game Boy, they used the Game Boy Player with a GameCube, meaning that to play the game the runner had to shake the GameCube itself.  It was pretty amusing.

Just a heads up, SDA has implemented a new policy regarding the uploading of runs during GDQ.  Basically because the runners are at the event, they're unable to upload their own runs on their own channels and all the other uploads are taking their traffic away, so from here on out they're prohibiting the uploading of GDQ runs on anything other than the official channel or the runner's own channel.

For those who missed it, the Dark Souls 2 speedrun is worth seeking out (on the official channel, of course) later - it's completed by two guys, one on the left half of the controller, and one on the right. It's a really impressive display of coordination.

Going back to my PJ love, Bionic Commando 2 was hilarious.  There was an incentive for 100% which got met, and then an additional incentive for 'hype' mode that became a bid war.  Basically, there's a glitch that PJ activates on certain stages that makes the main character constantly yell and is a riot.

The TASBot block was pretty entertaining as always.  While it's a shame that Ikaruga wasn't a live console run, it was still an amazing thing to see.

Guy almost set a PB during the any% Mario race. He got so giddy and pumped up, it was kind of infectious -- though he unfortunately choked on the last fight and ended up going about 25 seconds over his best.

The TASBot block was disappointing to me, not because it was videos rather than live console, but because there wasn't a fun twist like in years past. Like, taking

? That's pretty incredible. Here, it was just like, oh these are old TAS runs, someone had the patience to go through this game frame by frame. Neat, but not as exciting to me.

Now, that Super Mario 64 Any% that was just run, that was incredible. One of the two had a zero star run, in a marathon setting

Also, in college, I played Tilt 'N Tumble using a Game Boy Player / GameCube, so it was nice to see it being done at the event. 

Here, it was just like, oh these are old TAS runs, someone had the patience to go through this game frame by frame. Neat, but not as exciting to me.

In their defense, there were exploits that could only be done by scripting a TAS to spend days iterating to find a memory glitch. That's doing something beyond ordinary TAS shenanigans, it's just that it's so brief that it's not very showy.

Can someone who's been paying more attention than I have make some kind of SGDQ highlights list? People have been recommending individual runs here and there, but it would be great to pare down the ~170 hours to about a quarter of that, something I have a chance of actually watching through.

so, making a start on that shortlist that Ninety-three asked for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffeq4cy08l4 (Meow's Shadow of the Colossus run, with Floating Agro glitch at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzLQX35JGKQ (Witwix' traditional I Wanna Be the Boshy run, for commentary as much as skill (and because he donates $30 per death!))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmUy49yCHk4 (MunchaKoopas Shovel Knight low% shovel only run!, with devs online!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOEH2o7oHw (Vulajin's Ori and the Blind Forest run, with dev present)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XHa3adhVM (The TGM Tetris: The Grand Master extravaganza, including one handed play etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgxzVRSUxUM (FearfulFerret and Oginam's Dark Souls II run, with one on the left and the other on the right side of a single shared controller)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVGHGxkdzdE (puncayshun v cheese05 v Simply in Super Mario 64 Any% race)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3WNmcZuI4 (Sigmasin's impressive and short Lovely Planet speedrun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsipIn87er4 (abney317's MarioKart64 run)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTo5DtAUqAk (jkoper's Legend of Zelda run... without a sword, except for killing Ganon at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csnrs9i3ALc (danray2352's Kirby: Tilt 'n Tumble run... with an actual GameCube console as the motion controller)

[Edited to fix some typos in runner names]