Sean

True Detective Weekly 3: Maybe Tomorrow

I never even considered Vince Vaughn to be an actor of any import until I saw True Detective season two.  Now I think he's pretty good.  Has he been in anything that wasn't a peurile comedy or a Jurassic Park sequel before this?

According to IMDB, there's something called "The Locusts" where he plays an "enigmatic drifter" and "becomes involved in a deadly yet erotic love triangle." Also starring Ashley Judd, Paul Rudd, and Jeremy Davies. I've never heard of it but now I kind of think I might need to see it.

I never even considered Vince Vaughn to be an actor of any import until I saw True Detective season two.  Now I think he's pretty good.  Has he been in anything that wasn't a peurile comedy or a Jurassic Park sequel before this?

He was in The Cell

Issue two is that although it seems like Frank may well be the ultimate target of whoever or whatever's behind the Caspere case, his storyline to date seems to be pretty much spinning its wheels. I don't know about you guys, but I pretty much got that he had been moving out of the gangster business with this land deal and Caspere's murder has pushed him back into it. I got that in episode 2, in point of fact. But that's been pretty much what every subsequent scene with him has had to contribute: yup, he's going gangster again. Yup, his former associates aren't so sure they respect him anymore or thought they were done with him. And yes, everything else in his life is falling apart too. Got it.

Yup. I was surprised to see that this still goes on (and on and on) in episode 4. I wonder if any of these contacts will become meaningful in future episodes, or are they all here just to convey the same thing, i.e. that Frank desperately needs money, has to resort to his ganster ways, and is not respected anymore like he used to be. If the police were actively investigating him, they could now spend the entire rest of the season interviewing the associates he has contacted in the last couple of days.

If the police were actively investigating him, they could now spend the entire rest of the season interviewing the associates he has contacted in the last couple of days.

Ha, this sounds about like True Detective's approach to storytelling this season. It's like they have two basic templates for scenes.

Template A:

Ray and Ani go to location and meet shady character.

Shady character tells them Caspere was a pervert, without offering any variations or clues.

Template B:

Semyon goes to location and meets weak character.

He leans on weak character in passive-aggressive fashion even though their business association was supposed to be over.

And then Pizzolatto just uses different characters or locations in the hope we won't notice the repetition. It's getting tiresome. Ep. 4 at least made some progress beyond the first situation, but it doubled down on the second.

I don't know about that. It seems to me that the police investigation has made some real progress and turned up some interesting information and hints - for example, they found the car that was used to dump the body and then it was torched by a mysterious masked figure that they might have been able to catch if they'd been a bit closer and a bit more fit. Ray found the weird soundproofed house with the camera, like they'd been shooting some sort of freaky videos or something. It's not anything conclusive or definitive, but it fills out details and moves the story forward in a way that I haven't felt like anything Semyon is doing does, short, I suppose, of passing on the pimp's info to Ray in episode 2.