Ben X

The Big FPS Playthrough CURRENT GAME: Sniper Ghost Warrior (2010)

Ben X   

I am aware of both of those things, but Kolzig said that I need to play it before I can talk about Bioshock 2.

Ben X   

I think it does more than imply it!

But yeah, looking at it again perhaps he means 'if you're enjoying BS2 you should play MD too as it is very good'.

EDIT: anyway, here's a quite good video on the cleverness of the Fort Frolic area from the first Bioshock:

EDIT 2: and here's a long interview with Ken Levine and Shawn Robertson hosted by Geoff Keighley. (My suggested feed is full of Bioshock now!)

Biggest reveal: Ken Levine is the voice of the Circus Of Values machines!

Henke   

I liked Bioshock 2 a lot. Gameplaywise it was better than either BS1 or BS3. Never got around to Minerva's Den tho, despite hearing great things. :/

I would also agree that BS2 was the superior game but BS1 the more memorable, and not just because it came first although that certainly had a lot to do with it.

And L4D is another game I'd love to get in on if I can.

Kolzig   

I probably wrote vague and incorrect English. My comment was supposed to mean just that I hope you will play and experience also the DLC and not just the main game. :)

And since you actually have Minerva's Den mentioned in your opening post of this thread... :getmecoat

On 9/7/2017 at 7:45 AM, Ben X said:

Other little things - remote hacking, a new hacking mini-game (hit a key to stop a needle on the correct part of a scale) which so far I prefer but seems like it may leave less room for error once the difficulty goes up) and some proximity mine things.

If I remember right it's much nicer with auto hacks later in the game than the first is. Doing that hacking minigame in the second one gets old after a while even if it's significantly shorter than Pipe Dream.

I also agree the the Little Sister raids were very fun. I liked upgrading my weapons just for the sake of being better at those more than anything else.

Ben X   

I'm starting to go off those a little, actually. Perhaps it's because I did a ton of them in a row, then one of them culminated in a Big Sister fight. It just feels like 'Big Daddy fight -> mini-siege -> mini-siege -> Big Sister fight' is a bit much every time I want to get some Adam. They do at least put them next to cameras and oil slicks and what have you, which is helpful.

Ben X   

I'm about two thirds of the way through now, I think, and am starting to get bored. I've got about 200 Adam and nothing I'm interested in spending it on enough to justify having to get more, so I'm going to try and speed through the plot now rather than attacking any more Big Daddies or searching through every little corner. Follow that arrow!

Ben X   

Welp, the very next objective after I decided that was to harvest three Little Sisters in a row! More than a usual level and I was being forced to do it! Gah! So I pushed through that section and managed to complete the game without harvesting any more little sisters (except for a couple that I got by accidentally picking fights with Big Daddies - but I didn't bother with the Adam-harvesting sieges), despite the game warning me against it. There were a fair few weapons and plasmids that I never really bothered with either.

I've finished now, and have very similar feelings to those I had at the end of the first game - that was all very cool, but I wish there'd been less of it. On the one hand, it was pretty sweet laying down a ton of sentry guns, then calling two sentry bots and my kickass Big Sister daughter into a massive fight, but on the other hand I've killed like a million of these guys already. And again, a lot of the plot passed me by.

Overall a good game, though, but I think I'd have to rate the first one higher just for pure surprise value of the setting and a story that was tied in more closely. Even though the sequel does polish up a lot of the mechanics, it doesn't really introduce anything new or expand at all. I'm glad I've got at least one game to cleanse my palate before heading into Minerva's Den.

Making Of

RPS review

Art Of... videos (this links to 1 of 5)

Forum thread

I already played Metro 2033. Here are my posts from the time:

I think I agree with Dan that it's a bit of a slog. No quick-saves, and more of this RPG-lite stuff where you have to buy bullets and you've got a million different little things you have to worry about - charge your flashlight, change your gas mask, etc. The writing's not great either, and yet there's constantly people in the background all talking over each other with their little monologues and constant cutscenes. Also, there's no option for v-sync but it's jaggy as fuck. I might give that a google, and then give this a little while longer, but all in all it feels pretty creaky. [EDIT: Rob Fearon sums it up well here. Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by the enemy toughness and spamming!]

I had the impression that this was generally well-thought of, but it seems critics were just a good 5-10% too generous thanks to the 'atmospherics'...

Fuck this game up its stupid arse. I refuse to pick up the same fucking hidden ammo packs over and over again because all the bandits can take three shotgun blasts from a foot away before dying but even on easy mode I take one shot and I'm fucked. Uninstalled.

Oh well!

Forum thread

Onto Sniper: Ghost Warrior. I generally enjoy sniping in FPSes, so hopefully this'll be fun.

Cordeos   
1 hour ago, Ben X said:

Onto Sniper: Ghost Warrior. I generally enjoy sniping in FPSes, so hopefully this'll be fun.

Have you played any of the Sniper Elite games? I loved the hell out of 4, but starting with it made going back to 3 very hard, never even bothered going further back to 2 or 1

Henke   

Word on the street (internet) is that Sniper Elite are the good sniping games and Sniper Ghost Warrior are the bad sniping games. I've never played the Ghost Warrior ones tho, but I did like SE2 and 3, haven't gotten around to 4 yet.

Cordeos   
4 hours ago, Ben X said:

No. I've got v2 but it seems to be third-person with sniping so I kept it off this list.

Its third person when not scoped but first person when scoped, in 3 and 4 higher difficulty levels have realistic wind physics and bullet drop to compensate for.

3 hours ago, Henke said:

Word on the street (internet) is that Sniper Elite are the good sniping games and Sniper Ghost Warrior are the bad sniping games. I've never played the Ghost Warrior ones tho, but I did like SE2 and 3, haven't gotten around to 4 yet.

That is what I have heard as well, The new Ghost Warrior game is sitting on my wish list till it drops below $10. I really enjoyed Sniper Elite 4 and highly recommend it.

Ben X   
31 minutes ago, Cordeos said:

Its third person when not scoped but first person when scoped

Yeah, that's what I meant. Don't know how you'd do sniping in third person! Just get reeeeeeally close to their shoulder?

Well, if GW turns out to be crappy I'll abandon it and return to Rapture. Either way, I'll put SEv2 on my list of good non-FPSes to play once I'm done with this damn list. (Although I may be so sick of first-person that I stringently avoid any games that include that mode in any way for a while!)

Ben X   

So far this game has given me: tutorial; bit like the flashback in CoD:MW where you follow a dude around for a bit; bit like the stealthy sections in a Crytek game; corridor FPS bit.

The tutorial failed to convey a lot of the mechanics to me, so I had to learn those myself in the game proper with a lot of save-scumming. The CoD-style following simulator bit was what it was. The stealthy bit - what I'd expected the meat of this game to be - was quite fun but rather unpolished, with enemies spawning out of nowhere and no real clue as to whether corpses will be noticed, how well hidden I am, bullshit super-sighted enemies. The corridor FPS bit is terrible - the shooting mechanics are awful, to the point where every gun except the pistol is useless, and you're not allowed your sniper rifle despite there being a turret guy who's seemingly unkillable and impossible to bypass and despite this being a SNIPER GAME.

It looks very nice, but it's pretty unpolished and the 'story' is dull as dishwater but waffles on at you every five minutes about which soldier is going where. I'm going to have to check a walkthrough to see if I'm missing something on this corridor FPS otherwise it's going to be a very early rage-quit! I think the issue is that they're trying to make an action sniper game, which isn't really plausible. From the sounds of it, the more realistic sim Sniper Elite games are the way to go