BigJKO

[DevLog] Tiny Tires

LxvUNyL.png

Video Update!

MAILING LIST SIGNUP!

Alright, might as well have a thread for any future updates about Tiny Tires, my Micro Machines-like arcade racing game that is slowly being put together in my free time.

I've taken a big break from this game but with Unity's new multiplayer features I thought I'd take a stab at implementing some sort of online component. Turns out getting the cars synced and fooling around with them with people on the internet was easy enough. Now to.. y'know, actually implement player colors, names and.. well an actual Race with laps and shit.

Come and hang out in the Idle Thumbs IRC channel where I occasionally will organise some Tiny Tires multiplayer tests every once in a while!

Some vines (where you can't really see it's online, but TRUST ME IT IS!)

https://vine.co/v/e5PjpnXnuV5

https://vine.co/v/e5iEmKtD9hi

https://vine.co/v/e5PrKPOUAuh

Thaaanks! :D

Currently working on the UI for the multiplayer lobby. Next up, have an actual race start and counting the laps to declare an actual winner!

rDB9iRT.gif

(and disable car input when in the lobby..)

Trying to get back into working on this. That multiplayer stuff was way too heavy for my brain and Unity's networking stuff feels a bit too early to commit to.

So... now I'm focusing on trying to make my own level editing tools more usable. First up's a fully code-generated notepad ramp! I am the King of Triangles now.* The more things I can make procedural the easier it'll be to make a nice in-game level editor eventually. Hopefully!

l4KhWi3UXJb1BQQus.gif

Anyway, it's nice to be back on this after a long hiatus.

*Not really, triangle indices are still a mess to me, lots of "Erm.. 3+i*subdivision+5? Maybe? Sure. Oh, that's out of bounds."

I have hilarious fun generating various 2D polygons using MATHS, so I'm impressed you've got that kind of setup in 3D. Your indicies might be a mess, but they're working there! :D

That looks great!! How do you create the texture for your generated UV? I did a little procedural mesh generation for winter wiz jam but I was using solid color objects and wasn't sure how I'd texture them.

Got distracted trying to implement a bit of suspension in the car. It's not going well. Think I might try with a spring joint instead of my weird code. I can always go back to my old implementation of the car, but the way it jumps is just a bit garbage without suspension.

xT0BKr2FkbI4Zuh7xK.gifxT0BKKKdrZ7ynfuF56.gifxT0BKon7KiVxeoGNW0.gif

I don't know.. is this a setting on the rigidbody? I messed with drag, but that also affected the gravity making the car just float.. 

Anyway, BREAKTHROUGH! I used Unity's Configurable Joints and got it working. Still have to actually see if I can tune the actual driving of the car now that it has four blobs under the rigidbody and whatnot. We'll see! :tup:

3o6gbe70bLyCLrTQYg.gif

Unfortunately I think I'll scrap it. It's way too realistic/unstable for the type of top-down, arcade racing feel I want.

I think I'll just separate the look and physics of it. The way it worked before was fine, physics-wise, just needs some tweaking, I think. C'est la vie!

Glad you got it figured out!! That's a satisfying-looking bounce you have there.

I bet you say that to all the devs

Cheeky, dibs.

As usual, whenever I start making changes to this game everything spins wildly out of control.

xT0BKE1FMIKxTTHCwM.gif

I turned my dust particle animations into shaders instead of the spritesheet animation it was. This is cool because it allows me to make variants without having to make a huge spritesheet for it.

xT9DPNJTdTDGeEtUhG.gif

AND! If you want to be the first to know when I eventually put out a playable thing of this, sign up here.

JKO, why do you give your home address at the end of that signup?

Because I want you to send me a personal, little gift of love, dibs.

EDIT: I can't actually remove it from MailChimp.. whatever! Now 10 persons know my home address.

I assumed we could go to that address to play the game so I ordered plane tickets under that assumption. 

I'll be there on Thursday, is that ok?

I was signing up for the emails while hiding in your closet, so I thought it was showing my current location.