Cordeos

Hitman: Steve Gaynor Edition

I played a bit last night, but had to stop after I managed to sneak into the embassy. Currently trying to devise a way to get up to the 2nd floor without attracting attention.

So we're just a little over 24 hrs from the first match! Any thoughts, predictions from people?

I predicted that Liquid would win this, but I'm really not confident about that. I could easily see this going to Newbee, Wings, or VG.Reborn.  I suppose I shouldn't rule out EG or Secret either even though so far they haven't impressed since the roster shuffle. I'd probably give better odds to EG than Secret at "showing up" at this tournament. I'd love to see DC do great, but they haven't really played any international competition as a team yet so I suspect this Major is going to be more of a learning experience for them.

EDIT: AGHFDSAJKFASL DISREGARD WRONG THREAD

are you saying there's no competitive hitman yet?! ):

The upcoming USA level probably takes place at The International.

Your first objective is to sabotage Dendi's mouse and your second objective is to steal the Aegis for yourself.

I have a good PC and an Xbox One - which would you all recommend getting this on, and how do you even buy it?

I haven't checked any comparisons, but I assume you might get slightly better graphics, shorter loading times and cheaper price on PC. The performance has been fine on my PC at least.

I was impressed by the Sapienza videos and bought the Full Experience edition on Steam. If you are unsure whether the game is for you, you can also buy the first episode separately and then buy the upgrade pack (you will lose a few euros though). Or buy the full experience, and ask for a Steam refund if don't want to keep playing, I guess.

In my first completion I killed both targets with a battle axe. The game didn't have any reward for that, though.

In my first completion I killed both targets with a battle axe. The game didn't have any reward for that, though.

I wish more games would take the Crusader Kings 2 method for achievements. Having really hard and silly ones like conquering England as an Indian ruler add a really engaging challenge.

I completed the level last night, although I didn't murder the targets in any creative fashion because I just couldn't find any good opportunities to do so. Guess I need to explore the level more.

I played it yesterday and thought it was fine and realized that I do not really appreciate these levels until I replay them. Like when I played Sapienza for the first time I was just like, "I guess that was neat but nothing like how I've heard people talk about it." Then a week or two later I played through again to prep for the elusive target and I had a blast using what I learned the first time to aid me in trying new things (ie. in my first playthrough I found a note about a scientist going to the church so I went there immediately the second time around.) Similarly I had the most fun with the escalation missions and the elusive target as I used what I learned before and continued to learn new things. I think the fun in this game (for me) is learning and executing on what you've learned and I feel like that comes across much more after the first playthrough. Excited to give the new one another go in a week or two. 

That's a good point. I discover a lot of stuff just by playing the escalation missions.

Just finished my first run through Marrakesh. I normally play with opportunities on minimal, but it's pretty hard to find some of the opportunity people in those crowds without an icon. The particular one I ended up trying to do, it seems like it would be nearly impossible. Kind of a disappointment that i had to turn full tips on, but oh well.

I usually do my first runs with opportunities off and then turn them on when I try to do everything I might be interested in. It's exciting to explore with everything off.

I'm at a loss for what to do with either targets. I've gotten to the areas that they're in but I can't see any clear ways to take either of them out in a clean manner. There's so many people to spot you as well that getting to them is already quite a task. This map seems to make less use of its sprawl than Sapienza.

I've only come across one opportunity so far playing with them on minimal.

I'm at a loss for what to do with either targets. I've gotten to the areas that they're in but I can't see any clear ways to take either of them out in a clean manner. There's so many people to spot you as well that getting to them is already quite a task. This map seems to make less use of its sprawl than Sapienza.

for the guy in the embassy I literally just dropped an explosive next to him walked off and detonated it.

For the general I found some soldiers trash talking him, turned on the PA system so he heard, then went to the room above and kicked a toilet onto his head.

I agree about the sprawl of this level, it does feel a lot less useful than Sapienza. There's a lot of people, but there's not a whole lot you can do with them, and if you try, there's a hundred people within a few feet that will notice it. Having so many people around at all times makes this level by far more difficult than either two before it.

That being said, I sort of like that they're changing the environments up in terms of density. You could get around quite a bit in Paris as Helmut, and Sapienza's secure areas were large enough that you could stay out of people's field of vision pretty easily throughout the environment. Marrakesh feels much more dangerous, but that has made the hits more satisfying.

As for making it a little easier:

The officer uniform will get you into pretty much anywhere with very few people outside of the targets able to see through your disguise. Even better, you can dismiss soldiers to clear the area even more. The easiest way to get one is go to the school, go to the door at the far right, go through the locked door (hopefully you picked up the Headmaster's key), then through the second door, and you'll come to a pair of rooms with one soldier and one officer. Distract the soldier to draw him into the room on the right, take him out, and then you have a clear shot at the officer. Keep an eye on people around you, but I was able to take him out without anyone noticing at all. There's a bin for putting his body after the kill, so you can do it cleanly. From there, you can pretty much do anything.

I completed the elusive target! Not to happy about how messy it was, but I had to go with plan B:

I really wanted to snipe him, but there are no good angles on the church yard that I could find. I ended up going into the sewers, killing a ton of guards, piling their bodies in a corner and planting a bomb.

I then set off the bomb too late and took out another bodyguard instead of the priest. Luckily he was alone so I just emptied a clip into him and ran away.

I also killed the hippy while trying to find a good snipers perch.

#professional

I also had to go to plan B, after trying the same plan A.

I started from the ruins with a sniper rifle in the agency drop, but there was just no good angle where I could see him from the ruins.  So, I sneak along the side, although I had to kill a guard as a distraction so I could cross that bridge that seems to be a hard chokepoint.  On the other side, I grabbed a hammer and threw it at the head of the bodyguard guarding the lower lab door and took his outfit.  That let me walk around with my sniper rifle on my back without raising attention.  I went looking for an angle that just wasn't there, and eventually settled on using the bodyguard outfit to make my way into the sewer and then into the church. 

I started up the stairs in the main building but stopped at the doorway about halfway up that opens onto the balcony in the cathedral.  Just then, the target walks towards the priest, identifies himself, and starts talking to him.  There's a civilian in the balcony with me, and a guard on the other side looking in my direction.  Then the civilian goes to clean a spot on the floor or something and turns his back to me and the target, and the guard on the other side also turns around. I pulled out my silenced pistol, shot him in the head quickly, and tried to put it away before anyone saw.  I got "Crime Noticed", but they didn't see me.  I went back out into the stairwell, tried to go down just to find they were on the hunt for the killer down there, so I went up instead.  At the top of the tower, I jumped over the railing and hung from the side, jumped to a drainpipe, and slid all the way down to the ground.

All the alert guards were in the church and not the yard, so I just strolled out to an exit.

My attempt was also a mess, though I did manage to kill him. 

I got the church staff disguise from one of the apartments near the safe house, and snuck in through the morgue without getting frisked. I noticed he was praying at the various candle racks around the church, so I decided to drop a proximity mine as he approached the second one. Unfortunately his bodyguard immediately spotted it and approached to defuse it. I used this opportunity to stick him in the back with a poison syringe and run into the sewers, as I needed an outfit change. I knifed a bodyguard and switched from the completely compromised outfit, and managed to slip out and get to the speedboat.

It's really silly how readily and calmly the security staff recognize proximity mines. I guess in Hitman-world everyone has them.

I screwed it up.

I had such a decent plan. I started in the safe house and worked my way through the apartments until I got to the one with a key to the church and the church volunteer outfit. I picked up an agency drop with a syringe so I could take him out quietly. I was planning on getting in, getting a priest outfit, and then improvising from there. I walked up to the church and got stopped at the gate. They said they'd let me in but they needed to frisk me. "No problem," I thought, "I'm planning on using this syringe anyway," completely forgetting about the gun I was carrying. They start shooting. I die. I remain very bad at video games.

I failed this trying to sneak into the sewers and disguise myself as a bodyguard. I got caught out real fast and that was the end of me!