Cordeos

Hitman: Steve Gaynor Edition

Last night while wandering through the Italian sewers I accidentally murdered a "red plumber" hahaha.

Last night while wandering through the Italian sewers I accidentally murdered a "red plumber" hahaha.

If you look a little bit further, you'll also find a "green plumber". :D

Edit:

It seems they're also named Mario and Luigi in-game.

eyrjAl2.png

Should I feel bad about savescumming pretty extensively in this game? I played the tutorial levels, and found that when caught I could either start over and execute a bunch of the same moves over again, or just jump back to the last save from a stable place and figure out what I can do differently. Am I missing out by not trying to play out fail states?

Should I feel bad about savescumming pretty extensively in this game? I played the tutorial levels, and found that when caught I could either start over and execute a bunch of the same moves over again, or just jump back to the last save from a stable place and figure out what I can do differently. Am I missing out by not trying to play out fail states?

Personally, if you're trying to do everything perfectly sneaky, I think you should use everything you have at your disposal.  Absolution had no mid-section save function, and that led to me spending upwards of 2 hours on gameplay segments that lasted about 3-5 minutes when finally completed correctly.

It's hard enough puzzling things out and executing them, I don't think anyone would think less of you.

I'm sure a lot of people like to play things out, but I always play these games on the highest difficulty so I can basically guarantee that I couldn't get out of a fight alive if I wanted to.  But that's just the way I personally want to feel in most stealth games.

Personally, if you're trying to do everything perfectly sneaky, I think you should use everything you have at your disposal.  Absolution had no mid-section save function, and that led to me spending upwards of 2 hours on gameplay segments that lasted about 3-5 minutes when finally completed correctly.

It's hard enough puzzling things out and executing them, I don't think anyone would think less of you.

I'm sure a lot of people like to play things out, but I always play these games on the highest difficulty so I can basically guarantee that I couldn't get out of a fight alive if I wanted to.  But that's just the way I personally want to feel in most stealth games.

I save scum a lot, I don't want a silly mistake to send me back to the start. Once I have a good feeling for a level I will usually forget to save, but I dont want to keep failing while I am still learning the ropes.

I generally only tend to load an autosave when I've gotten myself killed, unless I'm trying to achieve something really specific. The game has a pretty forgiving approach to failure. If you get spotted, you can just move to a different area where you're not under suspicion, or if you need to be in that area, you can use a different disguise. I've had some pretty cool and memorable experiences associated with having my initial plan fail horribly and needing to adapt to a new set of circumstances. Another thing I've enjoyed is seeing how my mistakes ripple out and affect the actions of the AI in interesting ways.

With that all said, you should play in the way that brings you the most enjoyment :).

There are some stealth games where I feel like savescumming is detrimental to the experience because you miss out on a lot of fun chaos. But I don't think Hitman is one of those games. The fun of the game, for me at least, is coming up with increasingly complex or convoluted ways to assassinate your targets. As such I reload pretty liberally because otherwise it would take too long to line up everything perfectly.

Edit:

eyrjAl2.png

Haha, oh man. I've encountered the "green plumber" several times, and I didn't pick up on the joke. I've never seen "red plumber." I just figured "green plumber" was some kind of obscure terminology for a plumber who works specifically in agricultural contexts, like irrigation.

Edit:

eyrjAl2.png

Also worth noting that "Saltatore" translates as "jumper" or "one who jumps," so.... Mario and Luigi Jumpman. Someone was very proud of their little in-joke.

This makes me upset now that the slacker cook dude wasn't playing some "Saltatore Bros" video game. Amazing missed opportunity instead used for shameless plug of previous, much less well received Hitman game.

This makes me upset now that the slacker cook dude wasn't playing some "Saltatore Bros" video game. Amazing missed opportunity instead used for shameless plug of previous, much less well received Hitman game.

I wouldn't say it was a shameless plug, more of a weird joke that Hitman games would exist within the fictional Hitman world. Also, Hitman Sniper Challenge was okay!

I wouldn't say it was a shameless plug, more of a weird joke that Hitman games would exist within the fictional Hitman world. Also, Hitman Sniper Challenge was okay!

In the first movie some kids were playing the most recent game at the time. I assume this happened in the new one as well

In the first movie some kids were playing the most recent game at the time. I assume this happened in the new one as well

Hah, yeah I forgot about that! In this case it's not the most recent, it's a spin-off minigame that was released a few months before Absolution.

I generally will save scum my way through playing a few times, with the end goal of being able to ace a run with no saves. This is especially great in this game with the various challenges, so you can try to get a bunch of those, then pick the one you think you can execute on.

I don't generally mind always online games, but apparently my game had a problem connecting to their servers. My connection to the internet was fine as I had just been playing Overwatch and I'm able to write this now. Anyway, I played through Sapienza. I had a pretty good run, only to finish it and be told that I wouldn't get a score or any unlocks because I was offline. That's kind of not great. I don't mind playing it again, but I'm not sure why the online requirement is there in the first place.

Yeah, the unlocks only working if you were online during the mission is bullshit. At least the game marks the saves with an "offline" sticker if you lose the connection during gameplay, so that you know which saves to load once the connection is resumed. I went offline during one of the training missions and spent the longest time trying to reconnect to the server before realizing that, for once, I had actually lost the internet connection. I hope they don't do extensive server maintanance during gaming hours, because I actually like ticking off the challenges.

Other than that (and the bizarre menus), I'm really liking the game so far. I appreciate how incredibly goofy the game is, as I might have had a hard time choking innocent people and brutally executing targets otherwise. I also enjoy the hilarious extents they are willing to go in justifying the targets not existing anymore.

My first solution for Paris

Stealing Helmut Kruger's clothes and dumping him into the Seine, putting some makeup on, walking the catwalk, poisoning the lady target with her own cyanide, triggering the fireworks as the man target was on stage, dropping the chandelier on his head as he runs outside, and stealing the helicopter.

and for Sapienza

Ringing the doorbell of the new kitchen hand, punching him in the face and stealing his clothes, walking to the kitchen and rat poisoning the bolognese, waiting for the target to eat the spaghetti, then killing him with the circumcision knife in the plague doctor disguise as he is vomiting. After that I rat poisoned the golf coach, stole his clothes and phone, called the lady target and waited in her room, then killed her. Finally, I went through a series of disguises to get into the lab, poisoned the rats to distract one of the scientist checking on the virus, distracted the other scientist with a coin, increased the temperature of the sample, distracted the scientist again with another coin (I was really happy this worked), and once the sample was destroyd, stole the sea plane and escaped.

Next, I will probably try some more elaborate assassination methods in Sapienza. Also, I can't wait for the next episode. The level design has been incredible so far.

My first solution for Paris

Stealing Helmut Kruger's clothes and dumping him into the Seine, putting some makeup on, walking the catwalk, poisoning the lady target with her own cyanide, triggering the fireworks as the man target was on stage, dropping the chandelier on his head as he runs outside, and stealing the helicopter.

and for Sapienza

Ringing the doorbell of the new kitchen hand, punching him in the face and stealing his clothes, walking to the kitchen and rat poisoning the bolognese, waiting for the target to eat the spaghetti, then killing him with the circumcision knife in the plague doctor disguise as he is vomiting. After that I rat poisoned the golf coach, stole his clothes and phone, called the lady target and waited in her room, then killed her. Finally, I went through a series of disguises to get into the lab, poisoned the rats to distract one of the scientist checking on the virus, distracted the other scientist with a coin, increased the temperature of the sample, distracted the scientist again with another coin (I was really happy this worked), and once the sample was destroyd, stole the sea plane and escaped.

I've definitely been enjoying it too, and I really like reading the methods you used which were pretty different from mine.

For Paris (which went pretty well):

I grabbed a stylist outfit and used that to get into the basement where I found the recipe for the first target's favorite drink. I got a waiter's outfit, mixed the drink and added a little rat poison to get him to run to the nearest bathroom where I conveniently was waiting for him. One target down. Then I took Helmut Krueger's outfit (never did find where to get the makeup) and wandered upstairs. I used the second target's laptop to disrupt the auction. While the system was down she wandered off by herself and I was able to take her out. Then I took a guard's outfit and wandered out through the front door.

For Sapienza (which was a bungling shitty hitman misadventure, but super fun in its own way):

I found the flower delivery van crashed to the left of the mansion. I grabbed some flower and a costume which got me inside. I set the flowers on the target's mother's grave and hid behind it while I waited for him to show up. He did, and sent his bodyguard away, making it pretty easy to take him out. Then I grabbed a guard outfit, found a keycard and a scientist outfit and from there it was pretty easy to get into the lab. I destroyed the virus using the rats and the computer as distractions and prepared to make my escape. Only then did I realize that I had forgotten about the second target. I started heading upstairs to find her, only to realize that she had just walked right by me. There wasn't anyone around so I grabbed her, didn't bother to hide the body, and ran like hell for the sea plane.

I've definitely been enjoying it too, and I really like reading the methods you used which were pretty different from mine.

For Paris (which went pretty well):

I grabbed a stylist outfit and used that to get into the basement where I found the recipe for the first target's favorite drink. I got a waiter's outfit, mixed the drink and added a little rat poison to get him to run to the nearest bathroom where I conveniently was waiting for him. One target down. Then I took Helmut Krueger's outfit (never did find where to get the makeup) and wandered upstairs. I used the second target's laptop to disrupt the auction. While the system was down she wandered off by herself and I was able to take her out. Then I took a guard's outfit and wandered out through the front door.

For Sapienza (which was a bungling shitty hitman misadventure, but super fun in its own way):

I found the flower delivery van crashed to the left of the mansion. I grabbed some flower and a costume which got me inside. I set the flowers on the target's mother's grave and hid behind it while I waited for him to show up. He did, and sent his bodyguard away, making it pretty easy to take him out. Then I grabbed a guard outfit, found a keycard and a scientist outfit and from there it was pretty easy to get into the lab. I destroyed the virus using the rats and the computer as distractions and prepared to make my escape. Only then did I realize that I had forgotten about the second target. I started heading upstairs to find her, only to realize that she had just walked right by me. There wasn't anyone around so I grabbed her, didn't bother to hide the body, and ran like hell for the sea plane.

Paris

Lured a guard into a bathroom with an overflowing sink. Stumbled upon the Sheik's room and got that disguise. Went to the basement got the waiter disguise and drink recipe. Poisoned and fiber wired the guy. Then got the Sheik costume again and went to the top floor. Couldn't figure out how to get the woman alone so I stood against a wall behind where she takes a drink and shot her out in the open. Then sprinted like a fool to the front entrance.

Sapienza

After wandering around a lot. I got a guard outfit. Found a lab entrance and sabotaged a circuit box to get a scientist outfit. Moved quickly into the isolation unit. Incapacitated two scientists in there, overheated the sample. Then subdued a third scientist on my way out. Changed into the guard costume but was seen leaving the lab area. Ran around for a bit, found the explosive golf ball and my remote explosive. Then found a gardener outfit somewhere. entered the grounds and got the golf ball into the guys bucket. Got a housekeeping outfit, lured a guard with an overflowing sink. (see a pattern?) to get to the top floor. Saw that the woman went to a specific filing cabinet, so after she left placed my remote bomb there and blew her up when she returned. Ran to the VW beetle and sped off.

I played Sapienza through just once so far, but the very first interior I found and entered was the "bohemian" with the joint, so 10/10 would Hitman again

I'm having a tough time finding rat poison in the town. It used to be everywhere!

Paris

Lured a guard into a bathroom with an overflowing sink. Stumbled upon the Sheik's room and got that disguise. Went to the basement got the waiter disguise and drink recipe. Poisoned and fiber wired the guy. Then got the Sheik costume again and went to the top floor. Couldn't figure out how to get the woman alone so I stood against a wall behind where she takes a drink and shot her out in the open. Then sprinted like a fool to the front entrance.

Sapienza

After wandering around a lot. I got a guard outfit. Found a lab entrance and sabotaged a circuit box to get a scientist outfit. Moved quickly into the isolation unit. Incapacitated two scientists in there, overheated the sample. Then subdued a third scientist on my way out. Changed into the guard costume but was seen leaving the lab area. Ran around for a bit, found the explosive golf ball and my remote explosive. Then found a gardener outfit somewhere. entered the grounds and got the golf ball into the guys bucket. Got a housekeeping outfit, lured a guard with an overflowing sink. (see a pattern?) to get to the top floor. Saw that the woman went to a specific filing cabinet, so after she left placed my remote bomb there and blew her up when she returned. Ran to the VW beetle and sped off.

I appreciate your occasionally non-stealthy approach. I want to start intentionally using some of the "loud" items rather than just pulling them out in a desperate attempt to salvage a run gone bad.

In Sapienza there are a lot of really satisfying explosive solutions.

In Sapienza there are a lot of really satisfying explosive solutions.

The golf ball is pretty awesome. What other explosive parts am I missing?

and for Sapienza

…rat poisoning the bolognese… …rat poisoned the golf coach… …poisoned the rats…

Good