Cordeos

Hitman: Steve Gaynor Edition

I am super excited about this. I didn't like absolution but loved all the previous games a lot.

"He adds that in Absolution the studio felt they had good controls, a good core that they could use. “What we’re basically saying is: imagine if you take the best parts of Absolution and marry them to the best parts of Blood Money. That’s the essence of the game we are building"

Pretty Much what I wanted to hear. If they can make a game like Blood Money with wide open multi-assassination path levels and less sexism in character modeling I will be super happy.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/25/hitman-interview-christian-elverdam/

I also like the weekly challenge idea they have:

“We could also have a secret target in [Paris] that only appears let’s say in the weekend. The plan is at the moment to say the only thing you’ll get is a portrait and you have to find him. It’s not like everyone is competing against each other. He’s live in your sandbox but the thing is he’s going to be gone in 48 hours and will never come back. There are going to be some unique challenges.

“What we expect to happen is that people will go to Twitch, they’ll start debating what’s going on, where’s he going, what are his habits in this level… Once you try to go for him that’s your one shot. If you kill him, he’s dead. If you killed him in a brutal, messy way that’s going to be the story of how he dies. If you do it silent assassin that’s perfect, that’s your shot. We really like this idea. No matter what – you’ve seen all the Twitch feeds, you’ve tried to do everything the experts are doing – now it’s you doing it.”

Color me cautiously excited. I didn't even play Absolution besides the demo, but I've loved all the other games (well, the first one was kind of clumsy, though). Best of Absolution + best of Blood Money sounds like an ideal combo.

I'm a little conflicted. On one hand, I feel a little uneasy. It seems like they mean for some (or a lot) of the content and story to come after launch, albeit at no additional charge. What does this mean for the game at launch though? Will it match the general threshold for a AAA game's amount of content, or will it be a smattering of missions, with the of the game being pushed out after release? I guess what I'm curious about is whether or not the content will be the *actual game* or just supplemental/additional content. 

On the other hand, I kinda dig the idea of new missions/locations being pushed out post-launch. There's always a possibility of more player feedback being taken into account, and a cool community could end up forming, especially if there are 24-48 hour challenges. 

It's an interesting idea of theirs, regardless, I think.

It would be nicer for carebears like me if it wasn't a game about killing people in prominent world cities.

Some sort of stealth hug game where you fly around the world sneaking up on old friends and hugging them like in the Shadow of Mordor tutorial?

Well I don't think they can get around that particular detail considering the premise of the series. It would be nice if there were non-lethal ways of disappearing someone, but that's arguably even more chilling.

It would be nicer for carebears like me if it wasn't a game about killing people in prominent world cities.

HITMAN

Some sort of stealth hug game where you fly around the world sneaking up on old friends and hugging them like in the Shadow of Mordor tutorial?

HUGMAN

Well I don't think they can get around that particular detail considering the premise of the series. It would be nice if there were non-lethal ways of disappearing someone, but that's arguably even more chilling.

The non-lethal methods of dealing with the targets in Dishonored were often creepy. Lady Boyle in particular gets a terrifying send off, and the Pendleton twins get their cosmic comeuppance.

A stealth kidnapping game certainly would be a challenge. You would have to isolate them, knock them out and haul their body to an extraction point. Alternatively I guess you create a hostage situation where you escape with the hostage. The Blood Money mission in the rehab clinic did include an objective to break someone out of the clinic. A kidnapping mission would be an interesting play on the games mechanics. 

I did mess around in Blood Money by using the target as a human shield to see if I could get the guards to kill their protectee. The guards would usually take a shot at some point. Theoretically you could try and use them as a shield all the way to the level exit.

Dishonored's nonlethal options made me feel uncomfortable at times, especially when contrasted to just killing the target. I can't help but wonder if that's just general desensitization to murder in games, or if there's something inherently disturbing about keeping someone alive but subjecting them to a horrible fate.

That's one of the things I like most about MGS5: Ground Zeroes. Prisoner extraction is a major part of both the main and side-missions, which is seriously challenging when you've got a large environment teeming with enemies that you have to sneak to the edge of and you're basically right in the middle of it, all the way carrying a slightly noisy prisoner. It completely changes the dynamic of the game and I really hope to see Kojima Productions get inventive with it in The Phantom Pain.

“What we’re basically saying is: imagine if you take the best parts of Absolution and marry them to the best parts of Blood Money. That’s the essence of the game we are building"

I don't know how to feel about this, because everything Absolution did was either garbage, or done better in Blood Money. The correct fusion of Blood Money and Absolution is 100% Blood Money, and I dread them adding any Absolution DNA. Really though, the answer is probably that the statement is spineless marketing speak designed to generate maximum interest by appealing to people who liked Blood Money, and people who liked Absolution.

Similarly, the completely gratuitous bikini shots in the trailer don't exactly give me hope that this one will be any better with female characters than Absolution, but on the other hand, I'm not sure how bad a sign it really is, as I can easily imagine the marketing department shoving those scenes in whether or not they were at all representative of the game.

Post-script: Actually, Absolution's contract system where players could essentially make challenges for each other was neat, that can stay. Otherwise, I stand by Absolution being strictly worse than Blood Money.

I just worry after the complaints about Tomb Raider being a commercial failure, if they're going to just kill the content train before it really gets out of the station.

I wonder if they consider the sexy latex assassin nuns to be one of the best parts of Absolution.

(I hope this game will turn out good.)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/10/hitman-gamescom-preview/

"Density is more important than sheer size. We have more death traps per square meter than ever before....The Contracts provide a loose framework for the kind of Looney Tunes comedic invention that made Blood Money such a joy to play."

Now I am really excited. It sounds like they want to make the levels as open to innovation as possible. The biggest issue I have with replaying Blood Money is the somewhat limited options in each level, but with an increase in the interactivity of the environment, the gear you can bring in and the ability to use AI behavior to your advantage, there will be so many ways to kill.

EEEEEEEEEE

That is all.

It's a shame that this game will never follow up on the accidentally amazing promise made by unfortunate cropping.

From the same developers who gave us fetish nun assassins wearing heels and latex in the desert, following up on that promise would not surprise me in the least.

How about if we instigate a new phase for the gritty reboot by ditching the 'The' and moving the colon BACK...

Hit:Man.

Bat:Man. Pac:Man. Such potential!

I don't know how to feel about this, because everything Absolution did was either garbage, or done better in Blood Money. The correct fusion of Blood Money and Absolution is 100% Blood Money, and I dread them adding any Absolution DNA. Really though, the answer is probably that the statement is spineless marketing speak designed to generate maximum interest by appealing to people who liked Blood Money, and people who liked Absolution.

I disagree that everything was better in Blood Money. I would say circa  97% was better in Blood Money, but the controlls and your abillity to constrain a situation that had gone completly wrong was much improved in absolution. Other than that everything was better in Blood Money.

Yeah, every time I try to go back and play blood money (it's just so damn revered!) I get turned off by the controls. I played about 50% of it on 360 when it was new, but going back to try it on PC since has not been something I've been able to do.

Well dang it IO Interactive manages to get me excited for every new Hitman game. I'm glad they're reintroducing some of the black humor, even though the trailer makes it seem like the most gritty modern international secret mission time - which I'm also not opposed to, but when I think back to the bizarre brazilian jungle hijinx in Hitman 1, that's what I crave.

Nice to see the game in action, this one level looks like it has more options than all of Absolution.

I am having a lot of trouble not preordering to get beta access. Absolution has just made me nervious.