kaputt

Her Story

Well, if there doesn't seem to be much more information, then I guess I'll watch the credits roll and enter the discussion.

The string of clips you're missing won't provide you with any new information regarding what you're searching for specifically, but if you want a hint to get them anyway:

They all contain only one common word, so to narrow it down you'll have to use a particular search function.

Yeah, thanks for that Smart Jason. I actually decided to just watch the credits and then figured out how to find the rest of the clips. Now for the speculation!

I'm definitely in the "twins" camp, although I hadn't even considered the split personality thing before and that's pretty compelling. However, I think the alibi scuttles it. And in the circumstantial stuff with the coffee and tea, the tattoo, the repeat questioning and the fingerprints and I think that theory is fully supported. Now, the "Hannah is gone and she's not coming back" line, along with the tap code lead me to believe that Eve's killed Hannah, but there isn't really anything else to support this.

I totally understand the feeling that it's a bit of a ridiculous story. I also think the acting is overly soap opera-ish. That said,  I actually think this kind of switcheroo story is pretty well suited to this format, which is probably why Barlow went with it. I loved trying to figure out the stuff with coffee and tea and the length of sleeves and the tattoo and the taps, tracking what happened when. It really made me feel like a detective, in a way that few other games have. I think if you approach it in that way, the story comes off as a bit less ridiculous. Detective mysteries are very often preposterous - if they weren't, they'd be too easy to solve.

I also think the "SB" thing is nitpicking in the extreme. There needed to be initials there, why not make them "SB"? Assuming it's meant to Sam Barlow and then complaining based on that assumption is a bit silly.

I really hope people run with this concept. There's a lot of potential in it.

Finished playing it today. I'll be the odd one out here. I really didn't like it. Trashy, Fincher-like plot drowns out any sort of honest attempts to portray mundanity and humanity. An overwrought cliche, airport novel pulp, leaves you with nothing but the rush of "discovering" a story that is just familiar, overdone, exploitative, depraved thrills. In other words, you find nothing. 

Tempted to write something up on it, so I won't go too much in-depth. For now, I'll link this review by Ed Smith, which reflect my thoughts:

https://shutupvideo games.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/shut-up-her-story/

(i know how angry and snotty this all reads. Sorry but not sorry? This game really disappointed, I dunno what else to say)

It's true that Her Story doesn't have the most nuanced plot, regardless of what ending theory you ascribe to, but what it lacks in nuance it certainly makes up for in gameplay. If the game was weaker mechanically, maybe then it would be harder for me to overlook it narrative, but since the mechanics are strong, it really doesn't matter. I think that's why the ending of the game fails for me, because it takes away the interesting mechanics and all you're left with is the plot. (The other reason why the ending bothers me is because I think it really pushes towards one particular theory and I'm disappointed that it's not left more ambiguous.)

It's true that Her Story doesn't have the most nuanced plot, regardless of what ending theory you ascribe to, but what it lacks in nuance it certainly makes up for in gameplay. If the game was weaker mechanically, maybe then it would be harder for me to overlook it narrative, but since the mechanics are strong, it really doesn't matter. I think that's why the ending of the game fails for me, because it takes away the interesting mechanics and all you're left with is the plot. (The other reason why the ending bothers me is because I think it really pushes towards one particular theory and I'm disappointed that it's not left more ambiguous.)

I personally feel that overall the mechanics felt wasted because of the plot. A waste of an interesting and somewhat novel mechanical framework. The "game" is outside of the virtual space which you are provided, its in your notes, in your head, and that's astounding. I commend them for that, but...Sam Barlow...he cannot write. I was actually astounded as to how similar this game was to his most well known game, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, considered the best western Silent Hill game (which isn't saying much). Similar heavy handed metaphors, reliance on "high brow" references, pseudo-psychology, and even...

the same ending. Literally, Shattered Memories ends with "You were the daughter the whole time oooooh!"

I'd enjoy if something like this was done again, as long as it's an actually substantive, honest story. Not this.

I can't really disagree with anything in that article (which, by the way, has HUGE SPOILERS WATCH OUT), but they just don't bother me nearly as much. Maybe it's because I actually really enjoy stupid crime shows like CSI and Criminal Minds? As I said, mysteries have to be ridiculous to a certain extent. If the answer were mundane, it would be easy to find. Think about how the plot of The Wire is structured - there are rarely any "whodunit" points - you usually know, and the interesting part of the story is watching it unravel. That works great for a TV show, but for a game like this, you need something a bit more outrageous so that you mind doesn't immediately jump to the obvious conclusion.

I don't think you're going to find too many people arguing against that article because, yeah, the plot is easily the worst part of the game.

I'm of the same mind as Argobot and would say that the way I interact with the plot is much more fascinating and what really makes the game stand out.

I still also think Seifert's performance is strong. The only times she ever comes off as someone pretending to be a character is when the writing is at it's weakest

I'm thinking specifically of when she turns all starry-eyed when talking about fairy tales.

Speaking of the fairy tales, anyone have any idea what the pictures being showed to her were?  At first I thought it was an ink blot test but she just goes on these long expositions about fairy tales based off of a still image and that was odd.

I watched a stream of this, which is admittedly not the best way to be introduced to this game and probably also not the best way to present it...but the streamer started out being totallly open to the game with no knowledge of what it was about, and I think she gave it a fair chance until it really started to get on her nerves. The plot and the acting were what sunk this for me. And as someone watching it on a stream, I didn't get to experience the mechanics - so I wound up hating Her Story. There are just so many scenes where the writing is so bad

"His fucking magic sperm," all of the guitar scenes, all of the fairy tale scenes, the ending twist, and the fourth wall breaking "SB" character float to the top of my mind.

That I was cringing. At first I didn't like the actress, but now I think I'm judging her too harshly. I feel like the writing was so bad that no actor could have delivered it in a convincing way. But there were some things about her performance that kind of irked me too, and felt really hollow.

Like how she kept stirring or drinking from that little styrofoam cup, and it looked so bad! Like there was nothing in it. Really spoiled the mood. Or how she always looked off into the distance, to the side or at the sky, when she was talking. She just did that SO MUCH that it ruined whatever effect she was going for, I feel like. But maybe that has to do with the fact that the clips are all broken up. Perhaps if this were a 2 hour long movie, that wouldn't have stood out as much.

There must be something wrong with me though because everyone else I read or talk to says that she was amazing!

Anyway, despite my disappointment I could tell that the mechanics are special. And it must have taken an amazing amount of time and thought to design and put this whole thing together! I'd love to see the design of Her Story used to tell a more competent story. Sam Barlow's writing just doesn't do it for me I guess. I feel like he should stick to mechanics and get other folks to write instead. Sorry to be so negative :(

To contribute a positive recommendation - this isn't a good game for streaming or watching! I get the impression that you need to experience it, otherwise you'll only get the worst of it.

This would be a terrible game to stream. Literally the entire game is about figuring out what words to search and then doing that and putting the pieces together in your head. Watching somebody else do it without being able to work things out with them is completely missing the point.

I watched a stream of this, which is admittedly not the best way to be introduced to this game and probably also not the best way to present it...but the streamer started out being totallly open to the game with no knowledge of what it was about, and I think she gave it a fair chance until it really started to get on her nerves. The plot and the acting were what sunk this for me. And as someone watching it on a stream, I didn't get to experience the mechanics - so I wound up hating Her Story. There are just so many scenes where the writing is so bad

"His fucking magic sperm," all of the guitar scenes, all of the fairy tale scenes, the ending twist, and the fourth wall breaking "SB" character float to the top of my mind.

UtqWL99.png

Think about how the plot of The Wire is structured - there are rarely any "whodunit" points - you usually know, and the interesting part of the story is watching it unravel. That works great for a TV show, but for a game like this, you need something a bit more outrageous so that you mind doesn't immediately jump to the obvious conclusion.

The Wire's characters are people though. Her Story relies on a cliche as a character. A condescending cliche that thinks its deeper than it is.

That's my point - mysteries deal in larger-than-life characters and events. I won't disagree about the cliche, though - I don't think that Her Story goes a bit too far. I'm not sure if it's thinks its deeper than it is, though. What gives you the impression that it's trying to be more than just a crazy mystery story?

I mean I kind of feel where Stuart is coming from. It's partly the format (using FMV, "realistic" style police interview video) that plays against the melodrama by setting up a kind of naturalistic expectation and makes those moments of over-the-top-ness jump out more. Like if it was all pixel art graphics, I'm not sure I would even have noticed?

I dunno, while it certainly could be more nuanced, I guess my expectations for that kind of thing from a game are low? So I still had no problem enjoying it overall.

Haha, Stuart that's the one. Caught it on youtube, not live - it was fun!

This would be a terrible game to stream. Literally the entire game is about figuring out what words to search and then doing that and putting the pieces together in your head. Watching somebody else do it, without people able to work things out with them is completely missing the point.

I have the same opinion about this as you do. More so the more I reflect on my experience. But I didn't know that when I first watched the stream, and I didn't go looking for it - just happened to be something a person I follow played live.

But thinking in another way, what makes streaming this game so different than playing it with someone else physically next to you watching along and taking notes? If a stream was very invested in this game, and the whole chat was working together to take notes and talk amongst each other...that could be cool! What if they voted on search terms? I think that could be a neat stream! But it'd rely on everyone being very invested in the mystery and it'd only work as a live experience.

I think watching it played/streamed emphasized the writing and acting over the gameplay, since I didn't actually play it. And because of that I had a different experience than most people. I don't want to change anyone's opinion about the game or put forth that my perspective is better or even interesting at all - just thought I'd share since I think it is different.

It's partly the format (using FMV, "realistic" style police interview video) that plays against the melodrama by setting up a kind of naturalistic expectation and makes those moments of over-the-top-ness jump out more. Like if it was all pixel art graphics, I'm not sure I would even have noticed?

Yeah, the format was part of what made me initially feel like this was trying to be a very serious game and more than just a crazy mystery. I've also followed the press about it loosely, and it's been hyped as "the thing to reinvigorate FMV games," and "the next big art-game," so I guess I was expecting something to truly blow my mind 100%. Maybe my own expectations were part of what sank it for me, too!

So far my boyfriend has had the helpful suggestions of "Magic: The Gathering", "Dick Pics", "Jumanji" and "The Crow."

So far my boyfriend has had the helpful suggestions of "Magic: The Gathering", "Dick Pics", "Jumanji" and "The Crow."

Haha, did this result in anything good?

Mine searched for "video games" first, which led to a two very confusing clips that left me completely baffled. It's great that even though your first prompt is "murder," the game allows you to begin searching for whatever word or phrase you want.

oh apropos of nothing, and I only discovered this after 100% -ing the game

it tickles me that one of the most revelatory clips in the game turns up in the first 5 results if you literally use "her story" as your search term

Haha, did this result in anything good?

Mine searched for "video games" first, which led to a two very confusing clips that left me completely baffled. It's great that even though your first prompt is "murder," the game allows you to begin searching for whatever word or phrase you want.

No, not really. "Magic" by itself turns up a pretty big plot point, but "Magic the Gathering" and the others yield nothing.

9/11 was an inside job yielded no results.

Wow, this game is crazy.

I've reached the point where the

chit-chat window shows up, and that implies, to me, that the games thinks I should be able to figure it out with the information I have.

Is that an accurate assumption or am I reading too much into that?

I'd really like to chime in and just say that I thought the actress' performance was completely praiseworthy and I don't get where people calling it melodramatic are coming from. I found it very well done and nuanced.

Wow, this game is crazy.

I've reached the point where the

chit-chat window shows up, and that implies, to me, that the games thinks I should be able to figure it out with the information I have.

Is that an accurate assumption or am I reading too much into that?

That's an accurate assumption.

I'd really like to chime in and just say that I thought the actress' performance was completely praiseworthy and I don't get where people calling it melodramatic are coming from. I found it very well done and nuanced.

If you're talking about me, I was referring to the melodrama in the details of the story rather than in her performance. she does a good job with what she's given IMO.

After finishing the game (I stopped with about 90% of the videos) I have quite a few thoughts about it.  I may get kind of critical, but overall the game was very unique and a lot of fun to play and puzzle my way through.  Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, it falls short of being great.  However, I crave new experiences in gaming and playing a good game that is unique and takes risks is worth a lot to me.  I probably enjoy that more than I enjoy a "great" game that is completely safe (e.g. GTA V or Skyrim).  Overall I recommend the game.  Here are my thoughts:

What the game does well:

1. Mechanical system - I absolutely love the search system in this game.  It's very cleverly balanced.  The 5 video limit seems well balanced for the 70-100 videos or so in the game.  It adds a sense of satisfaction every time a search yielded a new yellow symbol indicating I found something new.  I also feel like this system finally found a solution to the problem FMV games present.  FMV games can't really give characters basic and believable player control over things like movement in a space.  Instead, this game focuses on giving the player control over the presentation of the story.  That's pretty clever and works nicely.

The journey - Most mysteries are as much about thrill of speculation as they are about the solution.  In that regard, Her Story was a great success for me.  In some ways, the game is better than a mystery novel or film because the mechanics reinforce this sense of discovery.  The moment I found out about Eve, for example, I excitedly searched "Eve" to find out more.  It gives you control over what thread to pursue.  Coupled with the 5 video limit I began to fiend for information.  It's a credit to the game that didn't want to put it down.

3. Length - The folks on the podcast talk often about how nice it is when a game respects your time.  I definitely feel like Her Story does.  For me, I played it entirely in one sitting.  I think that's probably the best way to play the game.  It's a game that tells it's story and then gets out.  It didn't give me a chance to get bored or overstay it's welcome.

4. Acting - Not much to say here.  It was good.  Her singing voice is nice.  That song was weird.

Criticisms:

(unfortunately almost every positive of the game has an associated criticism)

Mechanical System - I think this game needed one more system.  One of my favorite short games, Digital a Love Story (play it for free!) explored the potential of a PC as a game setting very nicely.  As I played Her Story, I felt like it was more of a contrivance and was under-used as a space for interaction.  What if, for example, as I find out things in the story I could search some in game wiki or something?  E.g., I could search and read about death caps and maybe gain context for her parents' death.  If done cleverly you could write it such that the wikis would inspire new search terms for the player.  Obviously, I am just spit balling, but I think with some system interaction would improve the game.  As it is, the game only has one system.  Even though it is well implemented, the experience sometimes felt stifling.

The Ending - Are they twins or  a single person with multiple identities?   That question because the main mystery of the game.  Unfortunately the only reason the question is mysterious is because both explanations are so unconvincing.  The game may maintain this mystery and give us something to talk about on forums, but it does so by making both possible explanations flawed rather than by making both of them plausible.  At the end of the day, two bad explanations aren't as good as one satisfying one.

Writing - The game had some clever moments.  However, It also had some heavy handed writing throughout.  I don't know what to make of the fairy tale discussion.  I feel like the game would have done well to pick one extended metaphor for multiple identities/mirrored identities instead of introducing a new one every third video.

Sarah - The game did a good job letting me know I was an in universe character.  I was reflected in the screen.  The readme let me know I made a FOIA request.  I know I was someone who had a reason to be looking into the murder.  I expected that the game was setting something up.  Then, it ends and I get a chat message that says "You're Sarah the daughter." And it just seemed completely unimportant and throwaway.

Filler Videos - Because the game doesn't want you to immediately spoil the mystery there are some videos that basically exist to saturate certain key words.  They don't want you to be able to search "mirror" and immediately end the game.  So, they have a filler video where she says mirror.  I felt that some of these filler videos could have been used to do more characterization.  I don't need every video to be driving the plot, but I didn't enjoy when I watched a video and felt like I got nothing from it.  When you only have 75 videos to work with you need to squeeze as much out of them as possible.

Those are my thoughts.  I tried to spoiler tag liberally.  I really hope that this game encourages more people to consider new forms of interactive storytelling.  It turns out that if you are clever enough you can even resurrect FMV games.

Nothing much to add, this game is great and I enjoyed playing it with my friend.

Did anyone else conclude that Eve and Hannah alternated every interview? We were mostly pretty sure of it, but I think we couldn't exactly verify it for one of the interviews.