Bjorn

Mass Effect Andromeda - Thumb Drive Engaged!

I would nostalgia-play some ME3 Multiplayer. I'm not on Bjorn's level, but I played at least 120 hours of ME3 multiplayer.

Never beat the story. Maybe not even a quarter of the way through.

4K video from a few weeks back, also showing off a section of the game (in alpa, so assuming it doesn't get cut/changed).  It looks really, really, really fucking pretty. 

Also, it was apparently clarified that the male and female protagonists are not the same person this time, it's a brother and sister, and you're playing one or the other, and the one you don't play is off faffing about the galaxy doing something (that you will probably encounter at some point). 

2 minutes ago, Twig said:

no elcor party member, no buy ):<

mass_effect__elcor_warriors_by_lipatov-d

After the Volus of all things got added to MP, a lot of people did mockup what an Elcor companion would look like. 

Release date!  March 21st, two days after my birthday :wub::wub::wub:

And it's supposed to be one of the EA games that you can download a few days early if you are subscribe to their Access program.  I feel dirty y'all, cause I think I might sign up for an EA thing so I can play Mass Effect on my birthday. 

Also, they still haven't released PC specs :(:(:(  I'm assuming I'll be able to run it okay, but my system is starting to get a little long in the tooth. 

Edited to add:  Waaaaaatttt?  What happened to the grouchy tomato for the sad face?

I am also considering signing up to the Origin Access in March for this. I have two extra reasons, however;

1) It also allows you to play Battlefield 1 for 10 hours, and I've heard the campaign for that is not terrible.

2) I was actually "given" Mass Effect Andromeda as a Christmas gift, by way of a preorder. Unfortunately the person who preordered it for me selected the slow shipping option, so I probably won't actually have my copy until a few days after release.

I love everything about that Tweet.

Also on-board with the hype train for this. Carefully organised finances so I can buy this on release (assuming it's not an absolute trashfire and causes computers to explode) because, similar to Bjorn, it is arriving very close to my birthday!

I fired up and played a couple of rounds of ME3MP tonight for the first time in will over a year.  In the interim, I've played several hundred hours of Warframe and in my head the games were relatively similar as horde, sci-fi, co-op games with magic space powers.

Hoooooly shit had I managed to forget what ME3 combat is really like. It's heavy and slow.  Which isn't bad or a critique, but all my time in Warframe with its space ninjas on meth level of speed had reset the default speed that my brain wanted to engage with this kind of game in.  Also, the maps in ME3 are tiny.  Even the biggest maps are little bitty things.  I imagine that had to do with the limitations of the consoles at the time.  Like, I know the enemy could only spawn....I think it was 8 enemies at a time in ME3MP, mostly due to memory and processing limitations on the 360.  It was refreshing to have a challenge though.  Warframe's balance may as well not exist past a certain point, you can annihilate thousands of enemies with barely a thought made even at higher levels, but in ME3, even on Silver a handful of enemies can overwhelm you fairly quickly.

At any rate, it was a really interesting contrast to play those two games within a few days of each other. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of players, getting into a match was just a matter of seconds.  Though I imagine that there are plenty of people either getting into it fresh or picking it back up with news about Andromeda finally starting to dribble out. 

Yeah, I just finished my ME1 play-through - going to try to go through ME2, and 3 before Andromeda gets here.

Might have to hop into multiplayer - didn't realize it was still pumping! 

I've been pondering finishing my alternative playthroughs of ME2 and 3 because I didn't see all the DLC in my main playthroughs. I'm just not sure I'll actually have time to do so before Andromeda hits - and even if I do I'm a little worried about burnout stopping me from enjoying it when it does arrive.

Interesting, Bjorn. Coming at it from Gears of War 4 Horde mode, all I could think was "DAMN I wish this was Mass Effect instead." They're both fairly slow cover based shooters in a limited arena, but Gears you have Guns And That's It. No powers, no combos, you don't bring anything with you except a gun and what you pick up during the mission (which is more guns). It was a horrible grind, each match goes from 1-50 with absolutely no editing, and I missed having crazy space powers.

Maybe I'll play some more ME3 if people are still playing it in the next 6 weeks.

Can someone remind me whether there's an easy way to just play the DLC parts of Mass Effect 3 on an already finished game save? I kinda just want to actually play through the stories of Leviathan, Omega and Citadel (which weren't out when I originally played the game).

On 2017-01-17 at 8:24 AM, Bjorn said:

I fired up and played a couple of rounds of ME3MP tonight for the first time in will over a year.  In the interim, I've played several hundred hours of Warframe and in my head the games were relatively similar as horde, sci-fi, co-op games with magic space powers.

Hoooooly shit had I managed to forget what ME3 combat is really like. It's heavy and slow.

Now go back to ME2, it's even slower! I like it though.

The problem with DLC in these games is that the folks that are most interested buy the game and play it at launch, then miss the later content. I'm almost done getting 100% achievements in ME2. There have been some struggles, in particular Kasumi's mission was a really hard way to start, but things have gotten easier as I've gotten more research done. The DLC has been all right so far, but I wouldn't call it ground-breaking. Hopefully I can get my insanity run of ME3 done before Andromeda comes out.

I dusted off my barely used Twitter account to ask if early access included multiplayer, and it does!

early.JPG

Neat! I'll happily do some multiplayer with any other Thumbs playing it on PC.

Edit: I guess I should dust off my hardly-ever-used Origin account for this purpose. The username is Gwardinen if anyone wants to preemptively add me.

5 days early for a $5 subscription, not bad I guess. Better than how much Forza was charging for their early access anyway. 

You also get a 10 percent discount while you're subscribed, so if you buy the regular version of the game, you get $6 off.  If you're downloading it, there's not much reason not to try Access for a month. 

I am planning on playing through ME3 with access too, as I have not yet played that game for some reason. 

So if I buy the physical copy for PC on Amazon, is it just a code that activates on Origin?

I was going to try and wait on this because I bounced off of DA:Inquisition so hard, but I realize that even if I have become incapable of playing a game like this, it's a mistake I'll have to make myself.

It'd be great if this game turned out well, but I find it difficult to get over my DA:I / ME3-based skepticism. I guess nothing I've seen yet has really suggested it's going to be a change in direction. I guess the countless 10 hours streams will offer some insight into that.

I'm definitely pre-ordering it and signing up for the early access, so I'll be happy to drop my reactions in here once that happens.  Though I really don't plan on spending any time in SP, Imma dump all 10 hours into multiplayer because I want to know if it's good enough to justify buying a second copy for the lady and I to play together.