Bjorn

The Great Co-op Thread

6 hours ago, YoThatLimp said:

Danh, wish I would have seen Clydes offer - was hoping to check it out

I shoulda started a thread for it specifically.

My review of the beta is: the single-player is not very interesting.

I would agree with that. It's well enough made and the shooting is pretty on point, but it all feels a tad purposeless. The story doesn't seem particularly interesting and I certainly have no affection for the characters. My intuition says if you can get a group of four people you like together to zigzag around the world in some kind of madcap military caper it'll be an entertaining experience (because there just aren't enough AAA games that allow you to play the whole campaign in coop, let alone open world ones), but that playing it alone is probably not worth it.

We started playing Neon Chrome last night, and my initial impressions are that it is a very good roguelite in the vein of Rogue Legacy. 

It's set in a dystopian, cyberpunk world where a massive corp controls everything, and you're trying to take down the CEO.  You remote control an "asset", a disposable body, from a hidden room in the corporations massive headquarters tower.  Each run you attempt to reach the top of the tower and take out the CEO.  You die, and you can use any accumulated credits to permanently boost certain stats, or to buy one off upgrades to take with you on the next run. 

Supports up to 4-player local co-op.  We've only made it to the 9th floor, but I'm super digging what we've played so far.  I tried it in single player as well, which seems to have a bit more of a story than the co-op mode and a few other changes, but it was bunches more fun with another person than it was solo.

Glad to see the endorsement for Neon Chrome - tried the demo on Xbox One ad thought it was really good but didn't see many reviews for it anywhere.

Sniper Elite 4 is out and it is really, really good. Not quite at the same level and quality as the first half of MGSV but it has great co-op.

ALSO: I can't believe no one has mentionedd Overcooked! I guess it was on the podcast so not necessary, but I just waned to mention that my partner and I played it and she was obsessed with it for a good few months.

I also picked Divinity and she really enjoyed it until it got too RPG focused. We played through the fighting but when we got to the village she kept trying to steal everything and getting us in trouble with the town guards. The game goes into split screen which was useful for me to do some of the quest development but I realised her heart wasn't into it when I looked over on her half of the screen and her character was just chatting to a grazing cow.

Edited by twmac

7 hours ago, twmac said:

I also picked Divinity and she really enjoyed it until it got too RPG focused. We played through the fighting but when we got to the village she kept trying to steal everything and getting us in trouble with the town guards. The game goes into split screen which was useful for me to do some of the quest development but I realised her heart wasn't into it when I looked over on her half of the screen and her character was just chatting to a grazing cow.

Hahahaha, yeah, if talking to a cow is more interesting than playing, probs best to move on.  We really liked Divinity, but it's a huge game and we ended up burning out about halfway through or so.  The inventory and RPG management takes more and more time. 

I was fishing around for a Wildlands thread, and this was the only place it was mentioned, so I thought I'd chime in and say I'm having a lot of fun playing co-op on the hardest difficulty.

Wildlands looks fun, but since I'd need two copies to play with the lady, it automatically goes into the "wait for a big ass sale from a year from now" pile.