Bjorn

The Great Co-op Thread

Is anyone planning to play through Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition from tomorrow? It has full campaign coop and I think that'd be a great way to experience it. The rub is that it's also a very long RPG, so it's quite a commitment to try to do it all with someone else. I'm trying to decide whether I can commit enough to seek such a partner.

Has anyone else here tried Warframe?  I'm usually pretty tentative about F2P games, but the few hours we put into it this weekend really impressed me.  I know I tried it a couple of years ago, in a much earlier and rougher state, and disregarded it.  But it's come a long way since.  Looks great, the movement feels really good, the combat can flow from gunplay, to melee to powers...not quite seemlessly, but better than  lot of other games I've played.  We've been looking for something to scratch the Mass Effect 3 MP itch for a couple of years now, and this might be it.  A very long tail in terms of unlocking and leveling up equipment (which we don't mind in this kind of game, when it's something we want to be able to play for a year or more).  It's actually got a story/progression route now that seems interesting enough (also seems pretty typically sci-fi tropey: "You're a member of a lost, technically superior race who has awaken from a long slumber just in time to save the universe!").  But the evil people seem to be humans who've managed to genetically modify and clone the entire race to a disastrous brink of extinction, so that's neat. 

I played it on Xbox One and it never quite gelled with me as it feels like the twitchiness was meant for a mouse and Keyboard - if they have improved that and are still patching I could see myself getting back into it because the content was more elaborate and fun than Destiny (being a cyborg Ninja is always appealing.

If you don't mind a bit of grind then you pretty much never have to spend money

Is anyone planning to play through Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition from tomorrow? It has full campaign coop and I think that'd be a great way to experience it. The rub is that it's also a very long RPG, so it's quite a commitment to try to do it all with someone else. I'm trying to decide whether I can commit enough to seek such a partner.

I've honestly been waiting on it to go on a big enough sale to buy.  I'd need 2 copies, and even with all the rave reviews, I'm hesitant to spend $70 on a game neither the lady or I have ever played.

I played it on Xbox One and it never quite gelled with me as it feels like the twitchiness was meant for a mouse and Keyboard - if they have improved that and are still patching I could see myself getting back into it because the content was more elaborate and fun than Destiny (being a cyborg Ninja is always appealing.

If you don't mind a bit of grind then you pretty much never have to spend money

I was playing with controller on PC and thought it was working fine, though I had to turn down camera/aim sensitivity by like 70 percent.  At default speed it was way, way to fast.  So maybe check if the X1 has that setting if you ever pick it back up. 

And they are still patching, Update 18 is coming up soon, I think?

Destiny is the other thing it reminded me of...but better.  Which is weird to say about a F2P game versus the massive budget Destiny had.  I barely played Destiny, but watched my daughter play a fair amount of it, and I pretty much like everything I've seen of Warframe more than Destiny so far.  The gameplay is better, and the world/character/story seems to have a lot more personality to it. 

I liked what I played of Warframe, but they use so many strange in-universe terms to describe currency or modding weapons and stuff that I got a bit bamboozled and just gave up. The moment to moment gameplay seemed really good fun though, although I repeatedly felt that I was being outclassed by anyone who was using a mouse and keyboard (I was using an X1 pad)

I've honestly been waiting on it to go on a big enough sale to buy.  I'd need 2 copies, and even with all the rave reviews, I'm hesitant to spend $70 on a game neither the lady or I have ever played.

FYI, I know that the console versions of the enhanced edition have splitscreen coop now. I don't know for sure whether the PC version does too, but you may want to look into it so that you could potentially just buy it once.

Edit: I checked, the PC version does have local coop too.

FYI, I know that the console versions of the enhanced edition have splitscreen coop now. I don't know for sure whether the PC version does too, but you may want to look into it so that you could potentially just buy it once.

Edit: I checked, the PC version does have local coop too.

OH HOLY SHIT THAT'S PERFECT!  Thanks for the head's up.  We have 2 PCs, but generally prefer couch co-op if possible.  It usually takes something pretty special for us to want to sit in our office (where we spend all day anyways) and not in our living room. 

Edited to add:  I wonder if it will go on sale tomorrow because the EE version is coming out?  That would be sweet.  If so, I might be interested in going in on the deluxe version with someone to split the cost of two copies. 

I might boot Warframe again and tweak the controls, what I played of it was really good and there was just more to do than in Destiny.

On top of that I am also excited about counch Co-Op for Divinity. However, I am not sure my partner is going to be able to play it so I might wait until it isn't 45 pounds before risking getting it.

Likewise I'm intrigued about pitching Divinity to my SO. Our games tastes occasionally overlap and this *may* be one of those cases...

Has anyone else here tried Warframe?  I'm usually pretty tentative about F2P games, but the few hours we put into it this weekend really impressed me.  I know I tried it a couple of years ago, in a much earlier and rougher state, and disregarded it.  But it's come a long way since.  Looks great, the movement feels really good, the combat can flow from gunplay, to melee to powers...not quite seemlessly, but better than  lot of other games I've played.  We've been looking for something to scratch the Mass Effect 3 MP itch for a couple of years now, and this might be it.  A very long tail in terms of unlocking and leveling up equipment (which we don't mind in this kind of game, when it's something we want to be able to play for a year or more).  It's actually got a story/progression route now that seems interesting enough (also seems pretty typically sci-fi tropey: "You're a member of a lost, technically superior race who has awaken from a long slumber just in time to save the universe!").  But the evil people seem to be humans who've managed to genetically modify and clone the entire race to a disastrous brink of extinction, so that's neat. 

Tried it out a bit, and I agree that it's quite fun. The traversal is really neat, although I've yet to encounter any levels that really take advantage of the flips and climbs that the character can pull off. No alternate routes or tricky "platforming sections", basically just getting to a slightly higher spot where I can snipe enemies with my bow.

From my understanding of the story, all the characters are human. Just genetically engineered in different ways. I believe the Tenno (Whom the players take control of) are people who were exposed to some sort of "warp" dimension and came back alive (unlike others) but a little bit damaged. The rest of humanity then built them into these Warframes, so that the Tenno could defend the rest of humanity from the horrible creatures from the other side or some-such. That's at least what I believe those loading screens have told me :P

I played quite a bit of it on PS4 (Warframe) but after a while I got bored. It's super good for a free game, but it's like Destiny, with worse mechanics, uglier graphics, zero story and much slower progression. So basically everything everyone hates about Destiny turned up to the max.

Warframe looks pretty beautiful on PC. I haven't played Destiny so I can't compare, but I'd guess if the PS4 version looks ugly it might be a port issue.

Yeah, it's been a few months since I saw Destiny for a fresh comparison, but Warframe looks great on PC.  Also, it's on PC, Destiny is not :P  And there does seem to be a story.  Not sure it's a good story, or that it goes very deep, but there's totally a story being told to me right now. 

The problem with Warframe is that you reach a point where normal progression (playing a mission once, beating it, moving onto the next) is no longer sufficient to proceed to the next mission, either because your equipment isn't good enough or you need to assemble a key to get to some of the later missions. Updates have improved this greatly, but you'll still eventually reach that spot.

I was OK putting a little money in and repeating missions if needed, my other friends were less interested.

Quotes from a couple of Steam reviews for KWAAN, posting here as it's a co-op MMO.

- "For once - a pacifistic multiplayer game."
- "Everyone is helpful and friendly."

- "spend some time to draw in the tree or finding some hideen and secret animals"
- "This game sucks Ox ♥♥♥♥, It's repetative, boring, and too peaceful."

David Kanaga (Proteus, Dyad) is on the sound team which might explain some of the calm and joyful bleepy bloopyness

The problem with Warframe is that you reach a point where normal progression (playing a mission once, beating it, moving onto the next) is no longer sufficient to proceed to the next mission, either because your equipment isn't good enough or you need to assemble a key to get to some of the later missions. Updates have improved this greatly, but you'll still eventually reach that spot.

I was OK putting a little money in and repeating missions if needed, my other friends were less interested.

We put hundreds of hours into ME3 MP, which was just a grindy horde mode to get credits to play a item upgrade slot machine.  There's a certain kind of grind, when paired with mechanics/combat I enjoy, that is exactly what I'm looking for at times, it's the comfort of returning to a system I know and enjoy.  So that's actually a plus for Warframe for me :)   I suppose it's similar to people who play competitive shooters mostly, except I mostly hate PvP, so my analog are certain co-op shooters. 

Well, when I say it's ugly, it's ugly compared to Destiny (which is really a fantastic looking game). 

I really enjoyed it while I played, but I hit that point where I had to repeat similar missions over and over, while progression felt like it was miles away. I'm sure playing with someone else would mitigate that (as it would with Destiny too). It was really pushing me to pay, but I didn't want to.

It's a fun game though. I have a couple of good memories of 4 people severely under geared wiping out a room of enemies, only just staying alive for each wave.

I'm in the Ghost Recon Wildlands Beta for PC, I'm currently downloading it. I have 3 keys to give out if anyone wants them. I think I need to be friends with you on UPlay in order to send out the invite. I'm ferrofluid.

^I think I got a beta key for that from Nvidia somehow. I don't really know anything about the Ghost Recon games, though so I didn't even read the email haha.

I don't know anything about that specific game but anything with co-op intrigues me.  Can you describe it a bit?

Meanwhile We Need To Go Deeper looks like it could be some amusing co-op.  2-4 people play as a submarine crew with different positions that need to be manned such as steering, engineering, and torpedoes.  You explore a randomly generated Jules Verne inspired ocean and gather loot and improvements to your ship by disembarking into undersea caves.  It's kind of like underwater FTL where you each control a crewmember.

4 minutes ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I don't know anything about that specific game but anything with co-op intrigues me.  Can you describe it a bit?

Meanwhile We Need To Go Deeper looks like it could be some amusing co-op.  2-4 people play as a submarine crew with different positions that need to be manned such as steering, engineering, and torpedoes.  You explore a randomly generated Jules Verne inspired ocean and gather loot and improvements to your ship by disembarking into undersea caves.  It's kind of like underwater FTL where you each control a crewmember.

Wildlands is an open world 1-4 player third person shooter coop game set in Latin America where you are an American soldier man killing lots of drug dealers. The story line looks like hot military garbage, but the potential fun of a four player open world stealth/shooty game intrigues me. I was a huge fan of coop in Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2 and like the idea of Wildlands. Definitely going to wait for release though.

I don't k ow anything aboutbit except for some e3 demo I watched or somethibg where everyone on stage pretended to be coordinating the assasination of some dude who dissolves bodies and it looked like JSOC meets the A-Team

Beta is live right now btw.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands takes place in Bolivia, which has special significance to me as I lived there for a few years. I'm really interested to see if the game captures what it's like to be there. If any of you end up playing the beta, I would love to see any video you capture, especially of any of the cities.

Edit: I've watched all the promo material already, but it mostly takes place in the wilderness, or weird drug compounds.

Edited by notanimal

I watched some footage of Wildlands over the weekend and while it looks great visually I feel like I wouldn't have much fun with it.  I have a general dislike of open world games because while they sound great in theory the execution most of the time falls way flat for me and Wildlands doesn't seem like it alleviates any of my concerns.  I've never been a huge fan of Rainbow Six or similar games either because while I like the idea of co-operative tactics I dislike "realistic" games.  Wildlands basically sounds like its combining two things I don't really care for.