Korax

DISHONORED 2: MISS HONORED

4 hours ago, Korax said:

Hide contents

I can't really look it up right now, so this is going off my poor memory, but I think there's a specific body you have to get it from. One that's in a room infested with bloodfly nests? I'm pretty sure that if you have objective markers on it'll point you to the room, if not the body.

OK, the wiki I looked up said it didn't have to be specific. That is a good idea to turn the markers back on, though! I should remember that. Thanks!

So I've been playing this for at least 15 hours now; I've finished mission 3, and I'm on the approach to mission 4. I'm taking the same approach as I did with my first playthrough of the first game: a stealthy but extremely destructive high chaos run. Basically I want to see as much of the world as I can, and the safest way to do that is to ensure that there's nobody else left alive to spoil my party. 

It's great, of course. This Glixel interview with Harvey Smith is extremely illuminating, if you haven't seen it already. Though I do wonder if we have to believe him when he says things like the 'canon' way to play the game is with the Emily/Low Chaos route. I've always felt like the distinguishing feature of Dishonored is - to borrow the phrase from another game - the sense of cleansing these foul streets. It's an awful world and you're an unhappy, unpleasant person, and you're going to tear it apart. The tone of the game is a brutal fantasy of power and revenge, isn't it? Or maybe that's just me projecting... 

Still, for all the work they've done to add new and fun non-lethal options to the game, it feels like there are very few solid mechanical differences between putting enemies to sleep and killing them. This isn't like MGS V, where each option had its pros and cons (sleeping enemies would get back up, surrendered enemies wouldn't except if there was an alarm, dead enemies couldn't be kidnapped). Knock someone out here and they might as well be put down forever. The one neat thing they have done, as Harvey explains in the interview, is create a dynamic morality system which secretly labels every NPC as nice or nasty - that's what the Heart draws from when you use it on somebody. So you could theoretically play through the game only killing 'bad' people, and you'd get the low chaos outcome - but would that be the 'best' approach? 

Of course I'm certainly going to do a non-lethal playthrough to explore the low chaos world, because the world design is still glorious. The environmental detail in the interiors, and the way everything feels like it fits naturally together - it's just exquisite.

The plot is...odd. I don't dislike it, but it feels rather insubstantial compared to the original. It feels like they had a bunch of great ideas for characters, and some great ideas for mission set pieces, and they knew Emily and Corvo would both be in it - and they then had to cram in all the on-rails story sequences at the last moment. It doesn't all quite hang together for me. 

Spoilers for stuff that was semi-hidden in the first game, and is right there in the beginning of this game:

I'm kind of astonished that Dishonored 2 so firmly establishes in the opening sequences that Corvo is Emily's father, and that the Heart is actually the incarnation of Emily's mother in some kind of metaphysical form. Both of those points were two of my favourite pieces of deliberately ambiguous lore for the first game - the moment where you, as Corvo, come upon young Emily's crayon picture of you with 'DADDY' written under it is one of my favourite moments of 'omg' environment storytelling ever. And the fact that Corvo himself can't remark on it is beautiful.

But now we've got to be told everything, I guess. It's disappointing. In a way, I would rather they had left that stuff uncertain. We could have had Emily ruling alone and uncertain, and Corvo living somewhere in quiet retirement - surely a man of dubious reputation after the events of the first game - only picking up his mask again for one last job. And you could plant hints throughout the game, perhaps, of what their relationship is/was. I miss that sense of mystery.

Oh, and the sequences where Jessamine reappears to Emily as a ghost are bad. I wish they hadn't done that. She's right there in the Heart! We don't need to see her like that!

I love love love this game, but it's driving me absolutely bananas that you can't as far as I can see restart a level easily, while at the same time limiting the amount of savegames you can make. I mean, what?

On 12/13/2016 at 8:38 PM, Travis said:

OK, the wiki I looked up said it didn't have to be specific. That is a good idea to turn the markers back on, though! I should remember that. Thanks!

From where you get the first part, the second part is almost directly behind you in the same suite. I'd like to take credit for being a clever boy, but I just happened to luck into it.

31 minutes ago, osmosisch said:

I love love love this game, but it's driving me absolutely bananas that you can't as far as I can see restart a level easily, while at the same time limiting the amount of savegames you can make. I mean, what?

In January they're adding a patch that will let you replay specific levels, so hopefully that will include a level restart.

6 hours ago, Badfinger said:

From where you get the first part, the second part is almost directly behind you in the same suite. I'd like to take credit for being a clever boy, but I just happened to luck into it.

Hmmm... I had to change floors and find a specific fella to get what I needed. 

No-kill, no-spot Emily playthrough : done. That was wonderful. Now let's see if I can stomach some murder as Dad.

On 11/18/2016 at 6:52 AM, thenexus6 said:

I just finished the game as Emily on low chaos. I didn't stealth it completely and I did kill a few people, however all targets I dealt with via the low chaos route.

I thought it was fantastic overall, I like the first game more but thats probably because that game came out of nowhere for me back then.

Going to start it up again as Corvo!

As Emily I had a (fairly) low number of kills till I got back to Dunwall - I figured she's have this righteous, burning anger at that point, so I hunted down and slaughtered every Hatter and witch I could find. It was still low chaos at the end, but she really put the whole rebellion down with some authority.

Started again with Corvo, but I'm still liking Emily better. 

I love this game too, about half-way through a low-chaos emily run. her abilities are really interesting. It's very much just more Dishonoured but somehow also feels fresh. I almost completed the clockwork mansion with no kills but i couldnt get the target alive because of the two robots near him. those are really hard for me to destroy. 

I am also sad that the game doesnt appear to be doing as well as it should, i hope they keep making them, or at least similar games, in the future. 

45 minutes ago, xchen said:

Try jumping on them and doing a drop attack. Do the robots count as kills?

They do not!

I also couldn't get above them :/ 

I will be doing another playthrough, maybe I will try for the achivements in that one :)

I just sniped the target from the other room. Got the kill without any special dialogue or anything (that i had heard anyway i my many many attempts to get him)

Once i was able to grapple myself onto the chandelier and when the robots went to attack me they jumped off the railing into the room below. But I couldn't recreate that. 

Regarding taking out the clockwork soldiers, there's plenty of options:

• The easiest way by far is to use a stun mine - as long as it's upgraded to give two shocks per enemy, a single mine will destroy them completely. This doesn't count as a kill, IIRC.
  • Grenades are not especially effective. It just makes them really mad.
  • The falling assassination move will knock off their heads the first time. Once they're headless, they can't see anything, so you can move around in front of them all you like while crouched. But if they hear any noise, they'll track it down. (Amusingly, they are also rendered unable to distinguish between you and your enemies - and their deaths will count against a clean hands run, of course. Not that I cared: I had them kill Jindosh, which felt appropriate somehow.)
  • If you do a falling assassination on a headless clockwork, it should destroy them entirely. 
  • Once you've got upgraded (hardened) crossbow bolts, you can shoot their heads off silently from a distance. This is very effective, and quiet, but it can be tricky to get right. I don't know if the damage drops off with range or if it's the hit detection but I've had it fail a few times.  
  • Eventually you can get upgrades for the pistol and sword that will allow you to take them down as if they were human enemies. But this feels a bit like cheating tbh. :P

I fired this up again after finishing Watch Dogs 2 and a campaign of Civilization 6. I'm going slowly through the second mission. The positional audio is fucking killing me. I was in the Overseers' outpost and couldn't for the life of me figure out whether a guard was in the next room or two floors down from me. Not being able to trust my ears at all is making me paranoid. :( 

17 hours in on Emily first time through, going into mission 6. It's good. Unfortunately some performance issues/crashing/long loading times/the sound mix being wonky or sounds simply not playing at all is putting a a damper on it for me. It's a little hard even on just "regular"? One good hit from a guard usually takes you out or puts you on deaths door which makes combat real hectic real fast once there's more than one enemy around. It feels larger/more expansive than the first game, with a lot of verticality to it, which is cool. The guards act more alert, investigating your slightest appearance, often spotting you almost instantly unless you're across a courtyard. They can also look up now (at least a a bit) which is :tup:

Looking forward to shanking copperspoon good and proper.

Just finished the first playthrough - emily/low chaos - normal or hard difficulty (whichever one is for "dishonoured veterans", don't remember)

Me and the gf worked together to solve the Mansion puzzle, which was fun but it also meant I skipped most of that level. I think I did alternate eliminations for a little more than half of the targets. The first guy I killed cause fuck him, Jindosh was too protected and I didn't have the equipment necessary to take him alive, and that Duke level was so impossible for me to go through without killing people so when I found an easy way to get to him, I just killed him. 

I also had some performance issues and sound stuff - finally ended up putting everything low and turning the resolution down towards the end. It seemed to help. I want to do a Mr. Murderdad Corvo playthrough but the game stuttered the most when NPCs got aggressive. It went OK with a low chaos run but if I am going to fight, I can't have stutter. I dont have the most awesome rig but this is the only game where I have felt I needed something more, and that I am playing it on low settings is kind of dampening. It still looks good though (i tried using the scaling resoluton and it made things very blocky!) I hope they are working on some performance patch. 

I loved the levels in this game. Even though it is, essentially, just more dishonoured, the level design really made it feel fresh - Clockwork Mansion and Crack in the Slab missions are standout pieces of course, but I also really liked the Conservatory and the final Dunwall Mission gave me a lot of deja vu - which was perfect. 

I know some of us were making fun of the opening scnee's writing but I didn't think it was too bad (as far as Video game writing goes) and I felt it got better as the game went on. 

The showdown with Delilah was a little anti-climactic as far as combat goes, but the first game did this as well which I like, since you spent so much time getting through the levels! 

I still feel most of the abilities are skewed towards murder rather than stealth and I had a hard time figuring out how to use Emily's abilities. Except far reach, I really liked Domino. Hoever, shadow walk i only used to crawl through rat spaces, and I got doppelganger late and everytime I used it, it backfired - the doppelganger would run towards me... I didn't use the mystify one at all. How did you use her skills? I am guessing Corvo's are gonna be the same more or less as in the first game? 

Also, anyone tried New Game+? Is it just starting over but you got stuff now so you are overpowered or?

Can I switch characters in new Game+? 

4 hours ago, Nappi said:

I fired this up again after finishing Watch Dogs 2 and a campaign of Civilization 6. I'm going slowly through the second mission. The positional audio is fucking killing me. I was in the Overseers' outpost and couldn't for the life of me figure out whether a guard was in the next room or two floors down from me. Not being able to trust my ears at all is making me paranoid. :( 

Are you wearing headphones? I just noticed today that there is a "Headphones?" On/Off option in the menus under Audio. I play with head phones and it was defaulted as off. Turned it on and didn't notice a difference but it was towards t he end of the game. Maybe it will help? 

9 hours ago, sucks2Bme said:

I still feel most of the abilities are skewed towards murder rather than stealth and I had a hard time figuring out how to use Emily's abilities. Except far reach, I really liked Domino. Hoever, shadow walk i only used to crawl through rat spaces, and I got doppelganger late and everytime I used it, it backfired - the doppelganger would run towards me... I didn't use the mystify one at all. How did you use her skills? I am guessing Corvo's are gonna be the same more or less as in the first game? 

Yes! I got the far reach slowdown, which does make risky run+jumps over courtyards possible and such. None of the stealthier options Emily had (doppel, mesmerise, shadow walk, domino) seemed all that interesting to me? I just opted for domino (because sleep darts are hard to come by), and bone charm crafting tier 4 runes for passive bonuses like faster choke times. Boring, but effective.

10 hours ago, sucks2Bme said:

Are you wearing headphones? I just noticed today that there is a "Headphones?" On/Off option in the menus under Audio. I play with head phones and it was defaulted as off. Turned it on and didn't notice a difference but it was towards t he end of the game. Maybe it will help? 

I'm using speakers and the option was turned off. I might check if the option changes things.

10 hours ago, sucks2Bme said:

Me and the gf worked together to solve the Mansion puzzle, which was fun but it also meant I skipped most of that level.

When I realised this I just went and did the level anyway.

2 minutes ago, thepaulhoey said:

When I realised this I just went and did the level anyway.

Haha, same. First the fun of solving apuzzle, then the fun of messing around the level!

In case anyone else was having problems with the spatial sound, the new patch that is currently in beta in Steam seems to fix at least some of the problems. The patch notes specifically mention fixes to the footstep sound volume. Hard to say if all problems have been fixed because my issues varied a lot between different environments, and I may also have adjusted to the weirdness a bit.

The level design and game feel are pretty great. I just hope the enemies don't get progressively harder to deal with. I just finished The Clockwork Mansion (which was really fun), but towards the end I got worried that it might be witches and clockwork soldiers from here on out.

Good to know, thanks. I don't like it when games change the rules just when I'm starting to get a hang of things and feeling powerful. The clockwork soldiers for example resulted in some interesting scenarios because they couldn't really be eliminated silently (?), but I wouldn't want to see them in every chapter from now on.