Korax

DISHONORED 2: MISS HONORED

Interesting. I don't even know what to make of that, haha. Guess I'll keep going and keep an eye out!

10 hours ago, thepaulhoey said:

It is.

Thanks! I found it within 2 minutes of trying again with your reassurance. I figured it would be a clue referring to that thing, I just never loot-glinted the right thing with the final piece!

2 hours ago, J.C. said:

I just got to this part last night. I'd like to be able to figure it out myself, and kinda want to be able to get the Eureka achievement, but damn, I don't know if my mind just wasn't in the right place. I've done a bit of exploring in the areas past it as I want those runes and charms. Am I right in assuming this is the non-lethal option for this point?

As Atlantic said, I believe there are other non-lethal options available. Anyway, since you said you might want the achievement, here is how to think about the problem:

Okay, first thing's first, you're gonna want to grab a sheet of paper for this because there is no way you can just track all this stuff in your head. You really do need to make a diagram of what's going on.

Essentially what you are trying to do is you have these sets of variables, and you are trying to solve to find which variables are equivalent. In this case there are lots of sets. You have the names of women, the color of the clothes, the alcoholic beverage, their geographic origin, their heirloom, and there location at the table. So create a bunch of tables with those categories, and write down the names of variables (or give them unique initials or something) in each category. For the position at the table I just used numbers 1-5, with 1 being the furthest to the left, and 5 being furthest to the right.

After you've done that, write down all the rules that the riddle provides (I seem to recall there being about 15). So if you see the name of a person wearing an article of clothing you'll write name = color. Sometimes it will have some rule that says someone does not have something else. So you can use the != to indicate that something is not equal to that. There are also sometimes positional rules. So if there was a drink to the left of an heirloom you would write drink > heirloom (we use lesser than and greater than this way thanks to our numbering system). If we know that one thing is next to another we can indicate that rule with arrows so it would look like x <--> y and that way we know these things are next to each other even if we don't know the direction. I think those were the only types of rules I needed to notate for this puzzle. For some more complicated logic games you sometimes have rules where x cannot be next to y but must be next to z, which could be two spaces away from n, etc. but thankfully this one doesn't have any stuff like that.

Now the final step is laying out your grid/map. Write 1 through 5 at the top with a decent amount of space between. Then you have each row be a particular set. Find every positional rule you can and put it down on your grid. From there you just keep looking at your rule set and figuring out what else you can deduce from it and plugging that information in. Remember to think in terms of "because of x, y must be true." but also equally important is to think in terms of "because of x, z must not be true", and then also to be wary of thinking of things that only might be true.

Hope that helps!

I've been having come minor performance issues. Auto detect set everything to high, but even after tweaking things down a bit I get some chop every once in a while.

Also:

On a similar note to that video I watched an npc freak out over a dead body (that I did not make) run around screaming, and then trip over a burning garbage can that a homeless man was using for heat and then burn to death in an instant. And it did not count as a kill on my part. The homeless man was nonplussed about the whole thing.

8 hours ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

On a similar note to that video I watched an npc freak out over a dead body (that I did not make) run around screaming, and then trip over a burning garbage can that a homeless man was using for heat and then burn to death in an instant. And it did not count as a kill on my part. The homeless man was nonplussed about the whole thing.

If I remember, my accidental feeding of people to rats did count against me (I was apparently hiding people unconscious in an area where they were later being eaten by rats...I realized this when I witnessed it at some point and was horrified to realize THAT was the thing I was doing that kept getting me a few people on my kill count).  I was thinking I was being humane and it turned out I was a far worse monster than if I had just stabbed the guys.

Edit: I should add this was in the first game...not sure if that will happen in the new one.  If it does my character is apparently some unintentional bumbling Willard type killer.

Edited by Vorlonesque
Adding something I forgot

19 hours ago, sclpls said:

As Atlantic said, I believe there are other non-lethal options available. Anyway, since you said you might want the achievement, here is how to think about the problem:

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, first thing's first, you're gonna want to grab a sheet of paper for this because there is no way you can just track all this stuff in your head. You really do need to make a diagram of what's going on.

Essentially what you are trying to do is you have these sets of variables, and you are trying to solve to find which variables are equivalent. In this case there are lots of sets. You have the names of women, the color of the clothes, the alcoholic beverage, their geographic origin, their heirloom, and there location at the table. So create a bunch of tables with those categories, and write down the names of variables (or give them unique initials or something) in each category. For the position at the table I just used numbers 1-5, with 1 being the furthest to the left, and 5 being furthest to the right.

After you've done that, write down all the rules that the riddle provides (I seem to recall there being about 15). So if you see the name of a person wearing an article of clothing you'll write name = color. Sometimes it will have some rule that says someone does not have something else. So you can use the != to indicate that something is not equal to that. There are also sometimes positional rules. So if there was a drink to the left of an heirloom you would write drink > heirloom (we use lesser than and greater than this way thanks to our numbering system). If we know that one thing is next to another we can indicate that rule with arrows so it would look like x <--> y and that way we know these things are next to each other even if we don't know the direction. I think those were the only types of rules I needed to notate for this puzzle. For some more complicated logic games you sometimes have rules where x cannot be next to y but must be next to z, which could be two spaces away from n, etc. but thankfully this one doesn't have any stuff like that.

Now the final step is laying out your grid/map. Write 1 through 5 at the top with a decent amount of space between. Then you have each row be a particular set. Find every positional rule you can and put it down on your grid. From there you just keep looking at your rule set and figuring out what else you can deduce from it and plugging that information in. Remember to think in terms of "because of x, y must be true." but also equally important is to think in terms of "because of x, z must not be true", and then also to be wary of thinking of things that only might be true.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that helped! Found the non-lethal option and cleared out the area. Paolo kinda threw me for a loop as I thought I screwed up!

The following area is pretty great so far!

I think it is a missed opportunity that the game doesn't track animal kills. Like, you can accomplish a pacifist run while killing as many rats, blood flies, and hounds as you see fit. But if someone were to get through the game without doing any of those things I think surely the game should acknowledge that the same way it acknowledges ghosting a level or getting through a level without killing any humans.

Speaking of the blood flies, that buzzing of theirs is rather unnerving, especially coming through headphones. Obviously diminishing returns, but the first couple times, it made me reconsider my approach.

Finally into mission 3 and I agree with everyone that said earlier that the sound design is often bad. Sounds like someone is walking right next to me and they are across the street. People talk at the same volume even though they are far, far apart, etc. All of that makes it impossible to not rely on the icons and "HUH?" when people just start to notice you. Oh well, I am used to it, so I can get over it.

Civilian freakouts are a bit inconsistent, although I was impressed by one lady. She saw me carrying a body across awnings, freaked out and ran away. All other civilians were fine with me being around. About 20 minutes later, she returned and stumbled upon me... freaked out immediately! So, I enjoyed that.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Sounds like someone is walking right next to me and they are across the street. People talk at the same volume even though they are far, far apart, etc. All of that makes it impossible to not rely on the icons and "HUH?" when people just start to notice you. Oh well, I am used to it, so I can get over it.

The foot steps are the worst. I've found the speech to be pretty good though. (on PS4)

2 hours ago, J.C. said:

The foot steps are the worst. I've found the speech to be pretty good though. (on PS4)

Huh. I am also on PS4 and the speech is always on top of each other and I can't tell what a lot of people are saying. It's too bad, because I really drink up this world... take for instance that it took me 8 hours to get to mission 3.

I say that and got awful speech volume last night. NPC on the other side of a box from me was quieter than one a block away. Hopefully they patch these audio issues!

Finished up A Crack in the Slab last night. That was a really neat level. I sort of wish some of what it does carried through to the rest of the game, as it could be really fun, though I understand the decision not to.

So I beat this as Emily and I have to say I only have two major issues with it: It may as well not have a story, and the last two levels aren't as interesting as the prior ones.

I did notice the performance and sound issues others have had but I didn't personally care so whatever.

That said the environmental story telling is top notch and brings the world to life in ways that few games ever do the. The art is just phenomenal, if I see a better looking game anytime soon it will only be because they put the HD port of Okami on PC. And that seems unlikely. And it just plays so well. If they can just get a better story in the next one they'll have one of the all time greats on there hands and I'm now excited to see what Prey is even more.

I'm about halfway through Mission 5 now. The two things that are bugging are that when I'm holding a guard if he gets shot or stabbed by another guard it counts as a kill. Kind of a annoying, but when it happens in a chaotic encounter it's rather cool as the other guards seem to curse over their fuck up. The other issue is that there's been a few instances where an objective is not at all clear and I need to pop on objective markers briefly. Had it on a mission where I had to interact with a specific corpse in a level and now I have to go to a room overlooking an area and there's a few of them so it's rather tough to tell where to go sometimes.

Otherwise having a blast, getting the odd massive frame rate drop that makes the mouse movement really weird but not enough to be annoying. Really enjoying that I'm still working out new ways to deal with situations.

Finished this last night, with Clean Hands. Excellent game! I felt the ending was kind of weak in how basically it just... stopped. I remember the first wrapping things up better? Still, barely detracts from the rest of the game.

I am invested in the world, but I couldn't care less about the characters.

I have such a strange reaction to the world and story of the Dishonored games. The whalepunk world is fascinating, and it touches on how Victorian-era people made the world a lot worse through industry in a way that what constitutes a current understanding of "steampunk" often tries to forget. It's not just top hats with gears glued on them, it's about hard and fast class boundaries and the ineptitudes of the wealthy while a disaster rises at their feet and other conflicts. There are a lot of little character details hidden in scraps of paper and slightly obscured interactions between different characters, particularly in the first game (though I intend to dig into the Karnaca a bit more over time). I really like all of this stuff, and there enough mysterious details that fleshes out the wider universe and cosmology.

For instance, in all of the in-game written sources and in some of the things characters say, the Outsider is an intriguing entity, somehow connected to the magic whales and the Void, a shadow realm that is slowly eating the cosmos. However, whenever he is onscreen all I can do is roll my eyes. I think him talking directly to you is not only the least engaging part about him, it also actively pushes me away. And that is true for most of the characters: they are nuanced and detailed in the periphery, but not so in their immediate execution.

I just finished the game as Emily on low chaos. I didn't stealth it completely and I did kill a few people, however all targets I dealt with via the low chaos route.

I thought it was fantastic overall, I like the first game more but thats probably because that game came out of nowhere for me back then.

Going to start it up again as Corvo!

On 11/16/2016 at 10:48 AM, J.C. said:

Finished up A Crack in the Slab last night. That was a really neat level. I sort of wish some of what it does carried through to the rest of the game, as it could be really fun, though I understand the decision not to.

Who knew that

Titanfall 2

and Dishonored 2 would take on and actually pull off the same concept in one of their levels a few weeks apart?

I played through A Crack in the Slab, and... I... didn't really like it. The concept is neat, but they didn't do anything very interesting with it.

I think it would have been better to use the multiple timelines as a puzzle mechanic, and remove all the enemies. Maybe keep bloodfly nests and have a guard or two to complicate things a bit. As it is, you barely have to interact with timeline shifts to complete your main objective, and when you do, it's "oh, there's rubble blocking a door in the present, but not in the past," and "there's a wall in the past that's a hole in the present." The few times that there are puzzle are just for getting runes and charms, and even those are simple and short (though I did really like the dog corpse one).

The challenge mainly comes from the fact that there are apparently infinite guards everywhere. I already have a hard enough time properly inspecting an area and finding all threats, and it was made even worse when they took away dark vision and made me look at the area through an off-center, tiny window. I eventually blew stealth enough that I didn't care about being seen, using the timepiece as a way to escape combat when six guards came charging after me. It took a good ten minutes to clear the area in front of the combo-locked seance room door, and when I finally had the time to enter the combination and go through it, I had 10-15 bodies scattered in front of it, with at least one more guard on a close enough patrol route to be risky.

I liked the story of Dishonored 2 quite a bit more than in the first game (although I think the DLC beats both by a long shot). It could be that recent political events have made me more sympathetic than I might normally be to a simple story about wrestling away power from a leader whose interests are entirely self-serving and egotistical. The other reason I disliked the original Dishonored's story is I thought the twist halfway through was very obviously telegraphed, and also the second half of the game is much less memorable.

That being said, saying that I thought this game had a better story isn't really saying much. I was excited about the potential commentary from the character you're playing having voice lines, but ultimately that ended up being underutilized (better than the opposite problem though). I also thought the home base area ended up feeling kind of empty and pointless. Not that the home base in Dishonored 1 was terribly exciting, but at least it was a more fun space to explore with a couple of secrets to discover. You exhaust your time on the boat pretty quickly.

I am finally back to playing this after Wizard Jam. But I am stuck. I am still on the 3rd mission and

I can't figure out how to get infected blood into the syringe! I have the syringe w/ the formula in it. I have gone to infected bodies and there is no option to take blood. I have taken a body to the lab and there is no option to get blood. When I turn on the bunsen burner, she says I still need to do more (which I know). I looked up a wiki and it makes it seem like I should have gotten it to work with what I have done. I feel like I am missing some minor detail!

5 hours ago, Travis said:

I am finally back to playing this after Wizard Jam. But I am stuck. I am still on the 3rd mission and

Hide contents

I can't figure out how to get infected blood into the syringe! I have the syringe w/ the formula in it. I have gone to infected bodies and there is no option to take blood. I have taken a body to the lab and there is no option to get blood. When I turn on the bunsen burner, she says I still need to do more (which I know). I looked up a wiki and it makes it seem like I should have gotten it to work with what I have done. I feel like I am missing some minor detail!

I can't really look it up right now, so this is going off my poor memory, but I think there's a specific body you have to get it from. One that's in a room infested with bloodfly nests? I'm pretty sure that if you have objective markers on it'll point you to the room, if not the body.