tegan

Steam Summer Sale Spendapalooza

This might be the first time I made it through a Steam sale without spending a single cent since like 2009. I already have everything! HELP.

I made one purchase, and I have already finished it. I thought about Project CARS but I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger.

Do... do I win?

I made one purchase, and I have already finished it. I thought about Project CARS but I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger.

Do... do I win?

The only way to win is not to play (video games).

Really glad to see everyone pick up Massive Chalice. I really love that game, and Brad Miur is so dreamy.

The Tale of Tales Collection (guilt buy after their announcement)
Sunset (same as above)
Bloody Trapland
Final Exam
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 6
RER2/BHR2 Episode One: Penal Colony
Runers
LISA
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
FORCED
D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die (not really a sale purchase, had planned on buying it anyways, even if it wasn't on sale)
Nom Nom Galaxy
Minerva's Den

Life Is Strange Episode 1 (gift from someone)

Plus a couple of gifts for people

As always I bought more than I planned on going in, but pretty much everything was already on my wishlist and a majority of them (9 of 15) are games with co-op. 

I was not a responsible adult this time around:

• Sunset 
  • Bioshock: Infinite & Season Pass (I never played Burial at Sea, and it seemed cheap enough)
  • The Fall
  • The Marvelous Miss Take
  • Bioshock 2 & Minerva's Den
  • The Dig
  • Never Alone
  • Ether One
  • Abyss Odyssey
  • The Long Dark
  • Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball
  • Child of Light
  • Pac-Man Chapionship Edition DX+
  • Metro 2033 & Last Light Redux

I am pleased to see people buying the Fall. I enjoyed it a lot despite it being an adventure game, please actually play it.

I bought Cook, Serve, Delicious! and Oblivion, the worst Elder Scrolls game. Have spent about ten times longer modding the cunt than playing it

I am pleased to see people buying the Fall. I enjoyed it a lot despite it being an adventure game, please actually play it.

I plan on it, though I'll admit my adventure game backlog is probably the biggest chunk of stuff on Steam that I need to play. But I'm looking forward to it...after I finally finish the Blackwell series one of these days.

Talos Principle was the only game i bought during the sale that was actually on sale for the steam sale.

Also, holy shit is that game ever incredible. I am just absolutely floored by how remarkably confident and thoughtful that thing is. I will probably have a lot of things to say about it whenever i get around to finishing it. That game is also very long, it almost overstays its welcome.

Me too! It's a wonderful game and I'm surprised it didn't get more attention. I think at one point it was billed as one episode of a larger series, and that made people do the whole "Oh gee I guess I'll wait until they're all out" thing. I have no idea if any more are being made but it feels like a complete game as it is.

I'm also glad that people are getting The Talos Principle. It was released so late last year that it slipped through the net for alot of people. It's one of the few games I'd have no reservations comparing to Portal in terms of puzzle design and intrigue.

They are currently working on the next installment of the Fall. I think they're taking a while because it's a long continuation. It does feel entirely like a standalone game with potential for a sequel though. So I'm happy to recommend this one and get people to play it even if their follow up falls totally flat.

It came out right before or during the winter sale, so this is the first time it's had a big discount (I might be wrong). For me, 40€ is more than I'm willing to pay for most games (it might be worth it but it's a lot higher than what people expect to pay for an indie puzzle game). I'd heard enough good things that I was basically just waiting for it to go on sale though. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of other people were the same way.

A lot of people characterized it as a really good game that seemed oddly priced as a full retail product. So, I was definitely waiting for a decent price drop.

Over the last week, I've been trying out IdleMaster.  It basically fools Steam into thinking you are playing a game when you aren't, so you can get the card drops for it, even if you have never downloaded the game.  I was a little leery at first, because it needs permission to sync to your Steam account, but everything I could find on it seemed legit, and the source code is available for all to look at. 

I can't recommend it enough.  The number of games I had with cards had ballooned over the last year, and there were dozens of games with hundreds of cards.  It wasn't worth the time, electricity or bandwidth to download and run them all for the 3-7 cents per card that drops. And now that cards don't drop for the first 2 hours that a game runs, it takes even longer to get them.  IdleMaster solves all that though.  I've just been running it during the day while I work, get 3-4 games a day done.  That huge backlog of cards is worth $15-$20, so sweet, free game!

This is also good because I have OCD where if I look at my badge page, and it shows I have games with cards still to drop, it bugs me.  So this is solving that little itch as well. 

Figured with the new games from the Steam sale, could be useful for some folks.

I used something like that once for idling in TF2 for hat drops. I did it for like half a day because someone told me Valve had said they didn't care.

When I woke up the next morning, I discovered that they'd taken away all my drops earned through that thing and then given a halo to everyone who hadn't used the idling program.

Basically what I'm saying is I wouldn't use it.

I have that halo :)

Of course I barely play TF2, but it's fun to have lying around.

Yeah, I've heard similar things, but I really don't care.  TF2 drops are different than cards to me.  Cards are an advertised feature of buying a game, TF2 drops were a free reward for playing a free game.  There's a fixed number of card drops for a game, period.  TF2 drops were only limited by day, so with farming accounts, you could radically change the intended number of items in the economy.  You can't do that with cards.  Cards are also a feature shared between Valve and devs, whereas Valve wholly owns TF2. And with the change to a minimum 2 hours passing before cards drop, Valve dicked with people's ability to get them naturally, since there are plenty of games I never even play for two hours. 

Now, Valve may not agree with my take on it at all, but I'm fine taking the risk.  If someone has an interest in just idling for their cards, I also think it's the responsible thing to do, because it's silly to waste the bandwidth and electricity on downloading and playing games just to idle them. 

Yeah I don't think it's a big deal at all. I also don't think the idling program for TF2 was a big deal at all. You could just as easily have used Sandboxie and had a ton of clients open, collecting drops. But the program was less resource-heavy, so I figured hey people said it's okay. But then it wasn't!

I have that halo :)

I think everyone has the halo now. At least, I do. It was just given to me eventually for reasons I don't know.

Yeah I plan to use that now. I think even if Valve took away all my cards for it then at least my badges page would be emptied. I have the same itch.

I hope no one's idling without at least trying the game.  I'll admit I've let some games idle to get the cards but in every case I at least played enough to know that I didn't enjoy it and resorted to idling for the drops.  In a couple cases they were games that had cards added after I had finished playing them, but once or twice it actually got me to play the game again.