tegan

Steam Summer Sale Spendapalooza

Between years of these things bloating up my backlog, and my new job having substantially changed my available-leisure-time to expendable-income ratio, I really shouldn't be looking at this sale. I want to look at it, and I do look at it, but at this point it's a shameful experience.

The absolute low point of the Steam sale experience, for me, is when I see a game and think "oh! I really want to play that, I should buy it!"
...and then I realize that I already own it, I probably bought it in a previous Steam sale, I never got around to playing it, and, even after just thinking "I really want to play that" four seconds ago, I'm probably not gonna load it up now.

Dang, well now they gray it out so it's really easy to tell if you have it in your library.

I feel pretty proud about my 'backlog', in that only things in there are stuff from bundles.  Everything else I gave it at least a good 15 ~ 30 minutes shot.

Waaaitaminute, according to isthereanydeal.com, Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den have both gone cheaper than this in the past year. Fucking broken Steam Wishlist notifications!

I spent about half an hour playing that clicky game on my laptop earlier today and I've really messed up my wrist. I'm in alot of pain right now and it wasn't really worth it.

I made a clicking macro back when I was playing cookie clicker.  I used it a few times in the monster game and it's crashed each time.  I'm not using it anymore.

I made a clicking macro back when I was playing cookie clicker.  I used it a few times in the monster game and it's crashed each time.  I'm not using it anymore.

I've been using AutoHotkey to spam clicks every 10ms without any problems

Here's my script if anyone wants it, real straight forward, just toggles clicking when you hit F8. www.autohotkey.com

#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 2

F8::

Toggle := !Toggle

While Toggle{

Click

sleep 10

}

return

I bought the 2 puzzle agent games for my baby sister to join her steam library of the copy of Gone Home I sent her and then made her talk about with me.

She loves Professor Layton and has been strictly a mobile platform (DS) game player since ~2011 or so, so I think she'll really like Puzzle Agent.

I picked up a couple things for myself as well, specifically Valiant Hearts, Redshirt and Hamlet. (If To Be or Not To Be goes on super sale, I'll scoop that up. I have the actual printed copy, and would love to support the video game version of it.)

Might pick up Wolfenstein cause I could use some FPS in my life right now...

I know i'll get the EU4 expansions so it's just a question of what else do I pick up?

I've been using AutoHotkey to spam clicks every 10ms without any problems

Here's my script if anyone wants it, real straight forward, just toggles clicking when you hit F8. www.autohotkey.com

#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 2

F8::

Toggle := !Toggle

While Toggle{

Click

sleep 10

}

return

I've checked in on it a few times today, and also used my autohotkey click spam script with no problems. 

I'm truly, and deeply, impressed at what Valve has done here.  They've taken the most pointless but addictive genre of games, and managed to make it less engaging, less addictive and and less interesting than any other clicker game I've played.  And it's got no personality to it at all (which is often the thing that I actually enjoy in these things). It's a real accomplishment. 

I also must have ended up in a particularly large or obsessive group, as it's ~140 levels above the next person on my friends list, and 400 levels above the next person after that.  So I guess some people are into it?

I'm truly, and deeply, impressed at what Valve has done here.  They've taken the most pointless but addictive genre of games, and managed to make it less engaging, less addictive and and less interesting than any other clicker game I've played.  And it's got no personality to it at all (which is often the thing that I actually enjoy in these things). It's a real accomplishment. 

This game sorta confirms a feeling I've had about idle games, which is that their ultimate form is when they're tied into another reward system. In the vast majority of clickers, your reward is just bigger numbers; but Candy Box and ADR, for example, have that currency feed back into other resources to fuel a much more satisfying system. Which is also the case here, where your progress is more meaningful than "well I guess I have 10,000,000 cookies now" and feeds into social systems, sales, and upgrades that cross days. So even though I completely agree and think this is one of the most boring idle games out there, I think the way it fits into the meta of the sale is pretty brilliant, and makes it vastly more appealing than other similar games.

I also must have ended up in a particularly large or obsessive group, as it's ~140 levels above the next person on my friends list, and 400 levels above the next person after that. So I guess some people are into it?

Yeah, the group I was in for day 2 had around the 1,000 minimum split almost evenly across the three lanes. Maybe 20 players were active at the 15/17 hour mark?

Turns out it's possible to choose a room using console commands, there's also a site that shows which room numbers have the most levels and clicks for maximum pile-ons.

I guess I'm kind of glad it's not as mercilessly honed as other examples of the form...

This game sorta confirms a feeling I've had about idle games, which is that their ultimate form is when they're tied into another reward system. In the vast majority of clickers, your reward is just bigger numbers; but Candy Box and ADR, for example, have that currency feed back into other resources to fuel a much more satisfying system. Which is also the case here, where your progress is more meaningful than "well I guess I have 10,000,000 cookies now" and feeds into social systems, sales, and upgrades that cross days. So even though I completely agree and think this is one of the most boring idle games out there, I think the way it fits into the meta of the sale is pretty brilliant, and makes it vastly more appealing than other similar games.

And I would argue that Cookie Clicker was a far more interesting experience, because it had the weirdness of a kind of story wrapped around it (the stuff with the rise of the Grandmas was hilarious), and it eventually got a little dungeon crawl mini-game added to it.  I don't even really think of Candy Box as a clicker game though, just as an adventure game that pretended to be a clicker game. 

The meta stuff on the Steam game isn't that interesting to me, The primary reward is cards, and I kinda liked the community voting aspect that used to get you cards.  The other part of the meta game is unlocking additional sales, which is...eh.  I would be very, very surprised if any sales didn't get unlocked.  Steam wants those games on sale.  One would assume those devs want their games to be on sale.  There's just a weird middleman in the shape of a game in the way?

the dungeon crawling still isn't in the official version, only the beta, so that doesn't really count. He's still working on that update, apparently!

I agree that cookie clicker us more interesting compared directly to this, but I also think that the steam game is inherently more full of potential, if only for the multiplayer. Too bad this implementation is awful.

the dungeon crawling still isn't in the official version, only the beta, so that doesn't really count. He's still working on that update, apparently!

I agree that cookie clicker us more interesting compared directly to this, but I also think that the steam game is inherently more full of potential, if only for the multiplayer. Too bad this implementation is awful.

Fair point, and a lot of my reaction may just be an implementation thing.  The multiplayer aspects definitely have potential, healing or assisting other players in various ways.  That's neat! 

It's weird how aside from the server issues, other basic stuff with the game seems to be broken. A few of the powerups don't seem to do anything, and a lot of people aren't getting card drops at all even though that seems to be the main reward.

I do like how Valve handled the community deals this time around -- they seem to be taking the opportunity to promote quite a few overlooked/obscure indie games. It's a big improvement over the voting system they've done in the past, where most of the choices were standard Steam sale fare and were usually in other daily/flash deals anyway.

Now that the gamification of Steam has finally manifested itself into an actual game, where does Valve go from here for the next big event/sale?

A good game?

Next year's gamified Steam Sale summer game thing will actually be HL3...they will simply release HL3 without telling anyone its actually an elaborate tie in to next years summer sale.  At the end of the game you will see Gordon's hand do something unspeakable uncontrolled by the player...it will login to your Steam account (on a Black Mesa workstation) and buy all the games on sale.

uh here's a set of scripts that supposedly play the game for you by auto-clicking and moving to the most profitable lane? Haven't used it so I can't confirm it works but it seems legit

https://github.com/SteamDatabase/steamSummerMinigame

I had assumed there had to be something like that out there, as a Reddit group broke 10K yesterday, and were aiming for a hundred thousand today.