Chris

Idle Thumbs 214: Ship It, Droopy

I'm the only person I know that prefers Manhattan clam chowder to New England clam chowder. I probably like it because it isn't really a chowder at all, it's a tomato sauce and therefore more like a soupy version of a stripped down cioppino. I'm really not into the cream base used for a proper chowder; it's far too heavy for my taste.

I haven't tasted either, but looking at pictures the Manhattan one looks delicious. Like a big tomatoey stew.

I'm the only person I know that prefers Manhattan clam chowder to New England clam chowder. I probably like it because it isn't really a chowder at all, it's a tomato sauce and therefore more like a soupy version of a stripped down cioppino. I'm really not into the cream base used for a proper chowder; it's far too heavy for my taste.

Ooh, Manhattan isn't anywhere near cioppino to me. Now I just want cioppino instead of either.

I first discovered there was a red clam chowder after watching Ace Ventura

Holy crap. That looks exactly like the video I posted on the first page.

Holy crap. That looks exactly like the video I posted on the first page.

Whoops.  I probably looked at it at work which blocks all videos and forgot to check it later.

I just want to point out that my dumb signature on this forum comes from that dumb X-Files episode. Besides making Mulder a gamer (??), the episode also turns him into aggressive perv, where he and the other men in the episode are literally drooling over the sexy video game lady. It's a fascinating disaster. Anyway, look forward to X-Files 2015.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the perv stuff! So weird!

They're bringing Reboot back! It's a Reboot reboot!

We need a Reboot Rewatch. Also, Reboot was great*. Such an iconic show of my childhood and, like most 90s kids shows, it had a lot of crazy weird references. When I first saw Evil Dead 2, I was like "Holy shit, it's that Reboot episode".

*Warning: I have not watched Reboot since I was a kid and it's probably not actually great. But it's super interesting.

Reboot's super weird. As so many things do, it began as an episodic what-crazy-thing-is-happening-this-week deal, but turned into, like, a real story? But then it ended on a complete non-ending. "Hey the big bad just came back and he's stronger than ever! Goodbye."

Then they tried to revive it as a webcomic, with ideas sourced from fans. This is (or was?) an OFFICIAL continuation of the story. And it was basically "at some point in the future, a zombie apocalypse happens!" Yeah.

And so the new stuff, as I just learned, is...

Transcending age groups with appeal to kids, tweens and teens, ReBoot: the Guardian Code is an adventure-comedy series about four teens (Austin, Parker, Grey and Tamra) who discover that they’re next-gen Guardians with a mission to save the world, by defending it in cyberspace. The Internet revolutionized the world, but it also left it vulnerable to attack. With the help of VERA, the last surviving cyberbeing from the original Guardian Program, our heroes stream into cyberspace where they use their awesome code-based powers to battle viruses that have been unleashed by a ruthless hacker. Known only as the Sourcerer, he seeks to rule the world by controlling cyberspace. Original fans of the show will be happy to hear that Megabyte will be back and he’s getting a major upgrade. ReBoot will showcase leading edge technologies and bring coding into the mainstream for kids.

hahaha wow okay

Reboot was reference city.  X-Files, Sailor Moon, Indiana Jones, Evil Dead, Looney Tunes, Star Trek, Star Wars, and more video games than I can count.  But as a kid I loved the shit out of it.  More than anything, I wanted a Guardian keytool.  And naturally young me really liked the big badass the dorky little kid turns into.

Icons1188r.jpg

That webcomic was terrible though.

Reboot also made me think about who was controlling the enemies in Sonic the Hedgehog and stuff. Every time I defeated Robotnik, was I destroying some computer-person's neighbourhood, or sending a child on a years long odyssey to rediscover his home? Heady stuff.

I really loved all the game concepts, they were really interesting. Later on I really loved imagining the user just frustrated to hell because every time he tries to win a game the enemies pull some jack move on them. I didn't really like the descent into grimdark stuff though, although I'm sure kids at the time lapped it up.

I didn't really like the descent into grimdark stuff though, although I'm sure kids at the time lapped it up.

"Raises hand."

Was it grim dark?

I didn't give a fuck about Reboot until they actually put a continuous storyline to it. Then I stopped watching it because it was just on but instead because I wanted to see it. Those earlier episodes seasons are pretty boring by the book Saturday morning cartoon shlock.

I'm betting whatever network it was playing on did not enjoy that though, as continuity is rough on cartoons since they always seem to be rerun out of order. I know it was one of the major reasons Nickelodeon scrapped Invader Zim after Season 2, since I guess continuity and build up doesn't play well with them.

I'm guessing this is no longer a network concern with the rise of anime shows, which usually have continuity by default, and being able to stream whatever when you want to.

When I first saw the episode title, I assumed it referred to 'shipping, and there was going to be some joke about someone with the internet pseudonym of 'Droopy' creating romances between fictional video game characters.

That's a game jam.

tegan confirmed for Wizardjam 2

3QA8vkd.gif

I just wanted to say that gimp has had layers since 1998.

It is plausible I haven't used Gimp since then.

Speaking of 'is that New England delicacy not just this thing I'm familiar with', there's a long history in Australia of increasingly elaborate coffee-flavoured milks.

Oh! I keep on forgetting to chime in that I would love a FarScape rewatch/first watch cast. I watched about 4 episodes of the series after Danielle expressed her enthusiasm for the show, but I didn't keep at it and I'm sure a podcast to watch along with would get me to do it.

Oh! I keep on forgetting to chime in that I would love a FarScape rewatch/first watch cast. I watched about 4 episodes of the series after Danielle expressed her enthusiasm for the show, but I didn't keep at it and I'm sure a podcast to watch along with would get me to do it.

I would love that as well.  We made it about halfway through Season 3 before we got distracted and we haven't been back to watch more.