Sign in to follow this  
clyde

Chris Crawford's Siboot

Chris Crawford started a Kickstarter for a game that tries to simulate complex personalities that you can interact with. This is obviously a moonshot, but I like moonshots. 

I love talking about this type of character-algorithm based gameplay ambition so I figure that this kickstarter could light the fires of that debate again. 

I had seen some things of this game, but I didn't realize he was going for a Kickstarter again. Backed! I really hope this succeeds.

44 hours to go and it needs $33k more, the majority of its goal. I often hear the sentiment that people prefer story-focused games, but it seems no one is ponying up the money behind such words. If an important person like Crawford can't capitalize on that popular sentiment, who else could?

44 hours to go and it needs $33k more, the majority of its goal. I often hear the sentiment that people prefer story-focused games, but it seems no one is ponying up the money behind such words. If an important person like Crawford can't capitalize on that popular sentiment, who else could?

I think a lot of the people who enjoy story-focused games enjoy them because of the quality of the stories. This game does not seem to me like it would have quality stories. Computer algorithms tend to produce subpar fiction.

Also I don't know who Chris Crawford is, so I can unequivocally state that he is not important!

Crawford's name has some recognition from a theory perspective, but in terms of actual product, he doesn't have much credibility.

This seems to me like the sort of thing that would only be interesting if it works as well as advertised, but since this is a kickstarter and not a finished product there's no way to tell. The kickstarter page claims the tech works, but it still reads to me more like "wouldn't it be cool if there was a game like this?" than "this is a gane we are actually capable of making"

To be honest, I'm Kickstarter fatigued.

I also think most game playing folk (beyond maybe people who are deep into gaming/developing) have no idea who Chris Crawford is, or know/played his games.

I'm skeptical that they have an impressive conversational system. If it's as developed and impressive as is implied by the video, then they are going to release it as something regardless of whether or not the funds are raised. 

I also think most game playing folk (beyond maybe people who are deep into gaming/developing) have no idea who Chris Crawford is, or know/played his games.

Yeah. If you know who Chris Crawford is, you also know enough to know how problematic his history and what he's attempting are.

Then again, I'm a little surprised that no independently wealthy angel investor (Notch, etc), has ponied up just to see what it ends up being.