but please have guns

but please have guns

Shhhh, they might hear you!

exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

but please have guns

ಠ_ಠ

it's probably going to have guns.

i'm serious tho

The act of disarming a dude was incredibly satisfying.

But what if you could disarm him...with a chainsaw gun.  Now that's a video game.

i'm serious tho

The act of disarming a dude was incredibly satisfying.

No, no it wasn't.

It was, though.

I'm always surprised by just how many people purport to hate the guns in Mirror's Edge. Shooting was shit, yes. But being shot at was fine and also fun.

If it doesn't have VR support the devs need their heads examined.

The idea of wearing a VR headset while playing ME terrifies me beyond belief.  The thought of missing a jump with that falling rush sound puts me into the fetal position.

I'm super excited about this.  ME was one of the best-designed games of the previous generation, in my opinion, so I'm excited to see what they can do with it!

The idea of wearing a VR headset while playing ME terrifies me beyond belief.  The thought of missing a jump with that falling rush sound puts me into the fetal position.

I'm super excited about this.  ME was one of the best-designed games of the previous generation, in my opinion, so I'm excited to see what they can do with it!

Tricking people into thinking they are going to fall is something VR has been messing with for a while.

http://www.worldviz.com/newsletter/legs-shaking-from-immersive-pit-demo

Some of the POV GoPro climbing footage I've seen around facebook recently has been really amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISKl7hsuFs

Can't find the one that really wowed me, unfortunately :(

Made me really want a new Mirror's Edge game that was inspired by this stuff. I guess it's more about boosting forward in this game, though.

It was, though.

I'm always surprised by just how many people purport to hate the guns in Mirror's Edge. Shooting was shit, yes. But being shot at was fine and also fun.

Maybe I'm wrong but my impression of want people want and certainly my desire is that you don't use guns, not that they aren't in the game. I think disarming could remain but you should automatically discard it.

I think most people just want them gone altogether. At least, that's the way they talk.

Maybe I'm wrong but my impression of want people want and certainly my desire is that you don't use guns, not that they aren't in the game. I think disarming could remain but you should automatically discard it.

The way disarming should work is that you disarm them in a way such that neither person has the gun (ie kicking it away instead of taking it).  Automatically discarding it would be a needless extra step, especially for the few people that actually would want to use the weapon.  Instead make it a conscious decision to go over to the gun and pick it up.  I ended up firing a gun once or twice because it was in my hands after a disarm and it was easier to just shoot a dude than drop the gun and run, but I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to pick one up.

I'm with Twig, I think the weapons should exist but they should definitely get rid of the part where you're stuck in a room full of guys with guns that you can't escape until they're all dead or unconscious..  If the goal is a pure traversal experience, they should just make Mirror's Edge: Tony Hawk.

What about just one gun...in the entire game? But its a really cool gun!

It would be great if the guns were used like in the reporter levels in Hotline Miami 2 - Where you could pick them up, but all he'll do is destroy the gun, so that no-one can use it.

I did complete the first mirror's edge without shooting a single person, to get that rare achieve. Although the last level where you had to shoot the servers was bullshit. 

Well I'm super excited.

Yeah, I got that achievement too. I remember vividly a section quite late in the game with a turret and a LOT of dudes where you have to jump across a gap in a mall or something to a small round thing suspended in the air and then climb out using it. I think I spent about 3 hours at that checkpoint, which I probably could have done in one or two tries if I had shot people or if there had been slightly less than a million people shooting at me at once. 

Fuck guns in Mirror's Edge.

I want zero guns. Having the other runner guys chasing after you was great and I don't mind more of that but honestly, anything that involved shooting, being shot at, or disarming guys was just never fun for me. I always found myself just wanting to get through those sections so I could get back to my parkour shit and regain my lost momentum.

I think we all at least agree that needing to actually shoot a gun should be axed. But did any of you honestly get to a segment where there were guys trying to shoot at you and think "Geez this is fun!"? I personally thought it was fucking annoying as hell and handled kind of stupidly. The only purpose it served as far as I could tell was to make you hide behind a thing for a bit so you could peek around and see what path you needed to take, at which point you would just book it as fast as you can and hope bullets don't hit you (assuming it wasn't an area where you had to take the guys out to proceed). If you happened to slow down and bullets did hit you, all it did was slow down your momentum, and just like any other game, all you had to do was go hide behind something for your health to regenerate. There was nothing fun or interesting about that at all and seemed very out of place in the game.

The only way I would want guns is if 1) they didn't allow you to pick them up or fire them, 2) you could disarm guys on the run without interrupting your momentum, 3) bullets were actually lethal and 4) there were some actual mechanic to dodging bullets as you run instead of the whole "just run really fast and try not to slow down" approach that had to be taken a lot in the first game. But I don't see that happening so I'll gladly take a sequel with no guns instead.

All this talk about not wanting guns is great and I agree, but didn't last year's trailers pretty much confirm lots of guns and shooting in the new game.

But being shot at was fine and also fun.

While this is legit point, for some reason the context-less reading of this is still quite hilarious :D

I've yet to fire a single bullet in Mirror's Edge ever (except that one you have to for some dumb reason), and I think the guns are great! I hope every level has at least seven thousand enemies with guns! More, even! WAY MORE!!

Ok I guess I was wrong, some people just don't want guns. Which I'd also be fine with but I do think there could be sequences where you're being shot at and it could add to tension without screwing up momentum. It would be a hard balance to strike because you'd probably need storm trooper accuracy but if that happens more than a couple of times it may become obvious that you're not really in any danger.

All this talk about not wanting guns is great and I agree, but didn't last year's trailers pretty much confirm lots of guns and shooting in the new game.

Yeah but we can hope :)

I think we all at least agree that needing to actually shoot a gun should be axed. But did any of you honestly get to a segment where there were guys trying to shoot at you and think "Geez this is fun!"? I personally thought it was fucking annoying as hell and handled kind of stupidly. The only purpose it served as far as I could tell was to make you hide behind a thing for a bit so you could peek around and see what path you needed to take, at which point you would just book it as fast as you can and hope bullets don't hit you (assuming it wasn't an area where you had to take the guys out to proceed). If you happened to slow down and bullets did hit you, all it did was slow down your momentum, and just like any other game, all you had to do was go hide behind something for your health to regenerate. There was nothing fun or interesting about that at all and seemed very out of place in the game.

What I enjoyed about it was being chased.  Seeing bullets go whizzing by is a good reminder that I'm running for a reason besides getting to the end of the level.  It's hard to get that perfect moment, but when you hit a good flow and you can see the path before you get there it's a pretty great feeling to climb some boxes, slide under a pipe, run along a wall, then leap off of a platform over a gap while turning around mid-air and giving the guys behind you the finger.  Granted you can do all that without some AI chasing you but the time trials didn't quite give me the same sense of enjoyment as executing a perfect series of moves to escape.

I enjoyed both the sense of momentum on a good run and the puzzle solving aspect of trying to MAKE it a good run. Experimenting for ten minutes before executing the perfect succession of moves in thirty seconds to knock out this guy then that guy then run up that wall and knock out this other guy wizz bam WOW it was just so much fun. AHHHHHHHHHH I love Mirror's Edge it is the perfect game. I'm going to reinstall it tonight. O: