RyanQuintal

Feedback for my new app

Hey Thumbs Forums,

I'm working on this app / website that is all about helping gamers meet other gamers that have complimentary play styles and share similar taste in games. 

It's http://www.gamerl.ink and a work in progress at the moment. 

There's definitely room if anyone's interested in joining me in brining it to life too. Contact me or post a reply and let me know your thoughts. I'm hard at work plugging away on getting things hooked up as we speak.

- Ryan Q

Add gender selection and turn this into an immediate dating site phenomenon. :tup:

Be strict about harassment policies and community guidelines. I have a strong suspicion that you can expect to gradually start seeing all the problems of a dating app and Xbox Live combined when it comes to female users.

Add gender selection and turn this into an immediate dating site phenomenon. :tup:

Ha, the thought had crossed my mind, do you think people are hungry for that type of thing?

Be strict about harassment policies and community guidelines. I have a strong suspicion that you can expect to gradually start seeing all the problems of a dating app and Xbox Live combined when it comes to female users.

That's a good point, People should feel safe, and I want people to know that their privacy is important to me too.

Honestly I think dating sites based on one shared interest tend to death spiral - the people who can choose between the specific and the generalist sites will choose the generalist sites, which leaves only people for whom 'gamer' is a core part of their identity, which means the dating pool is lousy, so people leave, so the dating pool is lousy, etc. I think out-of-game matchmaking's probably going to be more useful than a ChristianMingle but for people who identify as 'gamers'. (And if you do things right, people'll meet and fall in love anyway)

I appreciate that you appear to ask whether a player likes to take their time and soak in the details. Have you heard of the Bartle player types? It might be a good thing to take into account, especially when taking into account what kinds of players mix like oil and water.

Have you heard of the Bartle player types?

Haven't heard that name in a while. You just gave me a flashback of doing my uni dissertation. 

Haven't heard that name in a while. You just gave me a flashback of doing my uni dissertation. 

If you've done a dissertation on player sentiment or anything along those lines, I'd be interested to read it. My knowledge of the area is a little shallow - I know the Bartle player types and LeBlanc's 8 kinds of fun but that's about it.

It only briefly grazed on the topic, but I had to do lots of reading around the subject so I'm familiar with Bartle. My dis was based around teamwork in online games, and investigating various design elements that can help promote cooperation. If I can find it, I'll share it; but it's just struck me that it's been years since I last saw it.  :blink: