kaputt

Dark Souls 3 {Dark souls 2 successor [Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)]} (Bloodborne's something)

So, I beat the game for the first time recently with a Katana DEX build, now I'm playing around with an INT build for sorceries and such. I'm currently at the Cathedral of the Deep, spent some time helping others and using the ember from successful coop runs to clear the area together with some summons. The last run before going for the boss was particularly productive, unlocking the final shortcut as well as going up into the rafters and killing both giants.

Now during that time, as it happens, we got invaded something like three times, I think. I'm generally of the opinion that people who are looking for a fair fight should put down PvP summon signs instead of invading, but I'll still duel invaders one on one without estus if, for instance, I'm just hanging around the bonfire waiting to get summoned. If I summoned some people myself though and we're in the middle of getting shit done, I'll just gang up on invaders to get rid of them quickly. Since I'm with two other players, we make quick work of the first two invaders. The third person comes in while we're fighting the knights near the boss entrance. I'm hanging back a bit to cast spells, get hit from behind by a halberd, roll out of the way of the next attacks while they chase me, then we kill this invader too.

A little while later, shortly after beating the boss, I get an invite to this Steam Group by the last invader. Despite my better judgement, I also had a pretty revealing conversation with them before blocking. Somehow a person with 1,000 hours logged in DS and 500 in DS3 cannot fathom why anybody would have trouble fighting them on their own, or have no interest in doing so. I guess this is pretty much a textbook example of what Chris Franklin talked about in regards to

Mainly though, I am stunned at the effort some are willing to put in to find a way to vent their gamer elitism. No option to yell at others in game for "playing it wrong"? Just send them a mocking message out of game. You're having trouble chastising all those "weak and cheap" players individually? Why not maintain a Steam Group specifically dedicated to ridiculing those who beat you unfairly, or fail to meet your bizarre standards in some other way.

I love how someone can be considered "weak" because they're not as good at a video game as someone else. Guy has been watching too much anime.

I got this last night since it was heavily discounted on PS4. Very excited to play, but damn, I now have a backlog again. I was doing SO well!

I enjoyed reading your words about it! I view the change as being cyclical as well, but focusing more on how the usurpation of power gives way to slow decline (See: Gwyn's trajectory through the series, the Dragons, etc.) In this context, humans and the things closest to them have grasped power in the kindling of flames great and small, and are reluctant to let go. It strikes me more as narrative about power corrupting in the usual ways, but resulting in a far slower decline compared to other narratives considering the same themes. Most of the powerful enemies were human once, and almost all of them are sad to consider now.

Yeah, but I guess I find a narrative about the corrupting influence of power a bit less impactful than one about the inevitable demise of all things. It is, as I said, a much more human principle; it is only human to be corrupted by power, but all things, human or not, will eventually come to an end.

I don't know how interested you'd be in getting fancier with the recording setup, but I can't help but notice an issue in these videos that I also ran into early on: the low drone of pc fans overpowering the rest of the audio. If you record your voice separately on Audacity, there's a neat and simple option to filter out noise like that. It would mean having to edit those separate files back together though.

Yeah right now I'm keeping things as simple as possible, but I'm hoping to attend to some technical optimizations like that soon. I'd like to also separate the game audio and voice channels so I can mix things a bit better, but need to figure out how that works. Also, for some of the DS3 vids I recorded during the Summer there was also a giant fan going to keep me from melting, so it's even worse there. I'm thinking I'm going to try to do a Dishonored series and get some improvements like that and basic video editing in there. My mic is also just not especially good, which doesn't help. Thanks for the feedback!

Okay I tried recording audio separately and doing some simple editing in the newest one. I run into issues with peaks clipping but I think overall it sounds better. Feedback appreciated.

I brought it up mainly because it seemed like a daunting task when I first considered it, but using the noise removal tool in Audacity actually turned out to be super simple. You can run a default Normalizer and Compressor too if you want to get fancy with it, there's a lot of posts on r/letsplay or such where people describe their own methods.

It's a good article, though I think using the linking of the flame as a philosophical counterpoint to endless iteration is somewhat fraught. The linking as perpetuation of a decaying cycle has its own interesting metanarratives that have been explored in depth in various parts of the internet, if anyone cares to look. It's actually why I chose the Lord of Hollows ending in this game, despite how horrifying that also is.

I forget whether it's been mentioned here before, but I can't recommend the VaatiVidya YouTube channel enough for lore investigations of the Souls series, even if most of them are less focused on a meta/industry level than the article above.

Yeah, Vaati is definitely tops as far as youtubers doing Souls lore stuff. My problem is I'd rather read an article than sit around with some youtube clip playing, so stuff like the RPS article are very welcome to me even if it isn't as deep a dive as a lot of material covered by people in the Souls lore community. Because of my preference for reading, I really enjoy these blogs:

http://thelorehunter.blogspot.com/

http://darksouls3lore.blogspot.com/

First boss of DLC2 confirmed very hard on NG+3. Hard in good way of course, but still very hard.

It is. I'm having a bigger problem with the second boss, though, just in terms of actually HITTING it. It doesn't have a nice midpoint lock-on, and the model, while large, is a difficult shape to hit at ground level.

I may have bit off more than I can chew doing this on NG+3. The optional boss is absolutely destroying me one-sidedly.

The last boss is a real struggle at this difficulty too. I might have to just go back to a NG character to beat this. I can really relate to Nick after fruitlessly spending about 7 hours between the two of them.

EDIT: Finally beat it! What a final boss. Probably my favorite one in all of DS3.