kaputt

Dark Souls 3 {Dark souls 2 successor [Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)]} (Bloodborne's something)

Some friends and I made our way into the Smoldering Lake area. The opening section is pretty great!

We progressed further in, and damn, I want to know the lore implications for all this.

Demon ruins?! Corpses/statues(?) of Taurus Demons and Capra Demons?!

Some friends and I made our way into the Smoldering Lake area. The opening section is pretty great!

We progressed further in, and damn, I want to know the lore implications for all this.

Demon ruins?! Corpses/statues(?) of Taurus Demons and Capra Demons?!

It makes more sense if you re-watch the intro I think.

But yeah, I love how this game rewards exploration. I was going to say that with regards to something else later on. It's better than both DkSII and Bloodborne in that regard.

I realized last night that I never went to the Smoldering Lake. It's nice to go in overleveled and completely wreck a boss for once, 

I've found a good amount of illusory walls now. Feels really good when there are no messages that point it out for you. They are more sneaky in this game though.

Also been taking the time to appreciate some of the views. The world doesn't loop back on itself as much as Lordran, but you can still see a ton of the world from many places. There aren't a lot of games where I enjoy simply standing around and looking at stuff. I think I'm warming up to this one.

I realized last night that I never went to the Smoldering Lake. It's nice to go in overleveled and completely wreck a boss for once, 

I'm not particularly overleveled, I don't think, and I still destroyed that boss. He apparently has a second set of moves once his health dropped below half, but he didn't last long once I got him on the ropes, so he didn't really distinguish himself as a boss from other, similar mini-bosses that I'd already fought. Honestly, I had a harder time with the greatsword asshole in the basement.

I'm working my way through the catacombs and I just died in a way that would have been annoying if I didn't find it so funny. 

I made it to the rope bridge and decided to go up the alternate path. I found the knight looking for her friend and was sad that I couldn't help her. I turn around, go back down the path and see a huge number of skeletons (20? 30? 50?) and just book it back up the path, hoping the bottleneck could help me out. I fought a good number of them off, but they took me down before long. I had a full level's worth of souls on me, so that wasn't great. And of course I died while running back to the spot because I was rushing. But at the time, it felt more like a dark comedy than anything else.

OH MAN, the Untended Graves! So cool! Also, the area that leads up to Aldrich!

I've also been having much better luck in general with beating bosses solo. I've always tried to do it, and then decided to summon if things started to get frustrating, but somehow it hasn't been too much of an issue this time around. I might finally be getting good at reading attack patterns and properly timing rolls.

I'm working my way through the catacombs and I just died in a way that would have been annoying if I didn't find it so funny. 

I made it to the rope bridge and decided to go up the alternate path. I found the knight looking for her friend and was sad that I couldn't help her. I turn around, go back down the path and see a huge number of skeletons (20? 30? 50?) and just book it back up the path, hoping the bottleneck could help me out. I fought a good number of them off, but they took me down before long. I had a full level's worth of souls on me, so that wasn't great. And of course I died while running back to the spot because I was rushing. But at the time, it felt more like a dark comedy than anything else.

It's vaguely hinted at by a dev note, but you can cut the supports on the bridge, sending the skeleton horde falling to their doom. Then you can use the remains of the bridge as a ladder to climb down into the pit.

OH MAN, the Untended Graves! So cool! Also, the area that leads up to Aldrich!

I've also been having much better luck in general with beating bosses solo. I've always tried to do it, and then decided to summon if things started to get frustrating, but somehow it hasn't been too much of an issue this time around. I might finally be getting good at reading attack patterns and properly timing rolls.

It's vaguely hinted at by a dev note, but you can cut the supports on the bridge, sending the skeleton horde falling to their doom. Then you can use the remains of the bridge as a ladder to climb down into the pit.

Yeah, I caught on the second time around. But I just found the image of the suddenly appearing skeleton hoard on turning around to be not so much terrifying as it was kind of funny. The kind of thing that makes you think "you assholes" about the devs, but in a good way.

Oh man, I had been meaning to comment on how much I liked this section as a trap.

I'm assuming the bridge will collapse if you try to cross it (you can make it collapse with a single hit on one of it's support ropes).  That horde of skeletons isn't really meant to be fought I don't think.  I did, using the same bottleneck you did (died the first time and made it the second time).  But I'm pretty sure the intended design is that the horde wakes up, you panic, and try to run across the bridge which gets you killed.  It's a great trap design that's significantly different than a lot of other Souls traps. 

Oh man, I had been meaning to comment on how much I liked this section as a trap.

I'm assuming the bridge will collapse if you try to cross it (you can make it collapse with a single hit on one of it's support ropes).  That horde of skeletons isn't really meant to be fought I don't think.  I did, using the same bottleneck you did (died the first time and made it the second time).  But I'm pretty sure the intended design is that the horde wakes up, you panic, and try to run across the bridge which gets you killed.  It's a great trap design that's significantly different than a lot of other Souls traps. 

So actually -

You have to cut the bridge down. I've run across it and it didn't collapse. I didn't even know you could cut it down in fact. First time in that room I panicked and got chased into the boss room. This is even after finding the spot you can drop down safely and avoid triggering the skeletons.

So actually -

You have to cut the bridge down. I've run across it and it didn't collapse. I didn't even know you could cut it down in fact. First time in that room I panicked and got chased into the boss room. This is even after finding the spot you can drop down safely and avoid triggering the skeletons.

Booo, that's very disappointing.  Missed opportunity Dark Souls.  I had just assumed...

For sure! That would be genius (and utterly fiendish) of them if it worked like that. At the same time, it might not be in the spirit of the series. Maybe if it was time based like the bridge in the Dragon Aerie in Dark Souls 2 it would work better?

Hmmm, I watched a bloodstain ghost die in that spot.  I wonder if...

The skeletons have a chance to attack the bridge and make it fall, or if they are close enough to you that can just happen by accident, or you can hit the bridge yourself trying to defend on it?  Because the ghost I watched crossed about halfway over the bridge and then fell.  I'm curious now, I'll have to go back and try because I want to know now. 

You can definitely hit the bridge yourself while you are still on it. Also, the unraveling process takes a little bit, so you could hit it, think it's not working, run out onto the bridge to defend, and then fall. Not sure if the skeletons can do it or not.

You can definitely hit the bridge yourself while you are still on it. Also, the unraveling process takes a little bit, so you could hit it, think it's not working, run out onto the bridge to defend, and then fall. Not sure if the skeletons can do it or not.

I have seen skeleton hits unravel the bridge.

I killed all the skeletons with the big ball of skeletons :tup:

Excellent strategy!

I'm amused that a little baby crab apparently lives in that ball, because after it broke I found a single crab wandering around in that room. 

I got them all the first time I ran across. It's a cool setpiece.

I suspect I'm around, maybe slightly past, the halfway mark now and the last few areas have been really great. I played the first 10 or so hours shieldless, and I was never that afraid of the enemies, but now I'm slowly creeping around corners with a raised +6 shield haha. Love it.

Excellent strategy!

I'm amused that a little baby crab apparently lives in that ball, because after it broke I found a single crab wandering around in that room.

That's hilarious. These games have a great sense of humour.

Excellent strategy!

The other one has

an undead bone shard.

Man, now you're making me doubt if I found that or not.

They break on their own don't they?

Spoilers for a the Isi***** boss

Yeah, I don't know how long it takes, but they seem to just break on their own after slamming into the wall enough (or maybe it's an automatic trigger once you've gone so far past them or something).  I backtracked and got an item out of each. 

Yeah they break on their own. I sat beside one for probably 3-4 minutes before it broke.

Yeah, I don't know how long it takes, but they seem to just break on their own after slamming into the wall enough (or maybe it's an automatic trigger once you've gone so far past them or something). I backtracked and got an item out of each.

There's a skeleton wizard around the corner from each whom you can kill to have it break immediately, too. They wear a funny hat and don't aggro to you.

They wear a funny hat and don't aggro to you.

Are you sure you're talking about Dark Souls?

I finally threw in the towel on the Abyss Watchers last night and summoned a sunbro, and we proceeded to stomp the crap out of them in like 30 seconds. Felt good.

I'm thinking I'll take more advantage of co-op this time around. I played DS1/2 mostly solo, but this time I'm not as committed to the self-imposed challenge.