kaputt

Dark Souls 3 {Dark souls 2 successor [Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)]} (Bloodborne's something)

Polygon's coverage also noted this:

Hopefully this means we'll get something closer to the lighting system that was originally promised for DS2.

It means this.

So apparently this is out fairly soon, and I haven't even gotten that far into Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. I can't decide if I want to try and push through it, or not touch it so Dark Souls 3 feels nice and fresh.

The expansion areas of DS2 are arguably the best in the game, and the most creative, each brings something really unique and new to the level design.  So overall I'd say they're worth at least checking out, though if you're worried about them burning you out, then yeah, probably best to wait.

I'm jonesing for DS3 something fierce.  I may have to fire DS2 back up and mess around some at some point this month, once my XCOM 2 runs are finished.

The expansion areas of DS2 are arguably the best in the game, and the most creative, each brings something really unique and new to the level design.  So overall I'd say they're worth at least checking out, though if you're worried about them burning you out, then yeah, probably best to wait.

I agree enthusiastically, but it's true that the Ivory Crown DLC especially has some places that seem tailor-made to burn out a player who's pushing ahead.

Hmm, maybe I'll poke at it a bit and see how it goes. The last thing I probably need right now is another frustrating game to pile on top of the others that have been coming out, but Dark Souls can also have a meditative quality to it.

Yeah gorm, I agree about Ivory Crown for sure.  Dewar, each of the areas has 3 bosses, two you have to fight and one optional.  Each of the optional bosses are really tough, the toughest and most unfair fights in the game, arguably.  But the Ivory Crown optional boss is a special level of bullshit.  It remains the only boss, in any Souls game, that I have not been able to solo.   Each of the optional paths are fairly obvious once you know what you're looking for, they each feature one-way drops you can't return from and have little antechambers with these grave/statue things in them.  If you do play, and find yourself getting frustrated by a path like that, definitely the most skippable parts of the game. 

After failing to get into Bloodborne (I completely lack the patience and never got out of the main area) I have been wanting to buy it again and give this series another go, so I picked up Dark Souls II for PS4 and I think things are finally clicking for me with these games. I'm level 19 now so a few hours in and starting to find my groove and surviving quite well so far. I'm doing a lot of farming and really learning to be more patient with the game and not bum rush every enemy. Looking forward to continuing with this, then back to Bloodborne and eventually DSIII.

Last night I got through one of my least favorite parts of Dark Souls 2, the part with the boat (being vague for xchen's sake.) I guess that's why I stopped playing, since it almost got me to stop the first time through as well. Regardless, I know have my Pyromancer's flame finally.

Last night I got through one of my least favorite parts of Dark Souls 2, the part with the boat (being vague for xchen's sake.) I guess that's why I stopped playing, since it almost got me to stop the first time through as well. Regardless, I know have my Pyromancer's flame finally.

I've got a love/hate relationship with that area.  I don't think it is a particularly fun area to go through, but I love the design and atmosphere of it. 

Ended up restarting sometime in the past week or so with a new build and a more firm grasp on the systems. My new build has much less stamina but after leveling up ADP and VGR a bit and then getting some decent armor/reinforcing my sword my Knight is pretty tanky and I am absolutely loving this. I want to try a Faith build later on too but this most recent run I have been very pleased with how I have spent souls and have almost no regrets so far, which is probably uncommon for me with  RPGs.

This might be a bad time to mention that there are respecs in Dark Souls 2? Stats can be changed at least, if you've wasted weapon upgrade materials that might be more of an annoyance.

Upgrade materials were pretty plentiful in DS2, moreso than in either DS1 or Bloodbourne.  And the respec item wasn't particularly limited either, you could get...5-6 per cycle I think.  Although it seems like they might have reduced that by one or two in the re-release, or it took longer to get your first one or something. 

I'm pretty curious how rolling and invincibility frames are going to work in 3.  I think that mechanic has been the least balanced one by far in 1 and 2, and they've just struggled to balance mobility with armor, where mobility and i-frames always trumped straight defenses.  Bloodbourne just gave up on defense in favor of speed, but I'd like to see them try to find that balance without making a stat like ADP so valuable. 

It wasn't more than a mild annoyance, 2nd run through I made a lot of changes in how i played. In 2nd run I've used one human effigy whereas before i used about 5 (including wasting 2 throwing them into a fire and then scratching my head when humanity was not restored.

So I'm glad I restarted anyway.

I'm pretty curious how rolling and invincibility frames are going to work in 3.  I think that mechanic has been the least balanced one by far in 1 and 2, and they've just struggled to balance mobility with armor, where mobility and i-frames always trumped straight defenses.  Bloodbourne just gave up on defense in favor of speed, but I'd like to see them try to find that balance without making a stat like ADP so valuable. 

I feel for them, with that design challenge. It's hard to make a combat system where "not getting hit at all" isn't flatly superior to "weathering hits effectively."

Dark Souls 3 stream running on Giant Bomb right now. I'll wait until the VoD since I really shouldn't be streaming at work.

I really need to get cracking on DS2.

Edit: Ha, I just realized I have release week off. 

Edit 2: Just saw this on the steam page. I didn't have any idea.

re-order DARK SOULS™ III to get the official game soundtrack. Existing owners of any previous DARK SOULS™ game* on Steam will also receive a discount on a pre-purchase of DARK SOULS™ III.

*DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die Edition, DARK SOULS™ II, DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin.

Looks like it's an 8% discount  :wacko:

It's probably mint, but not the good mint, that mint that tastes like it was scraped off the bottom of your shoe.

Is it weird I'm thinking about getting a Japanese PSN account and buying a digital copy to play before it comes out in the US? The idea of playing this game with even less idea of what's going on has an appeal.

I don't think it's weird. It sounds pretty cool actually. It's the same feeling I got from Black Desert when it came over from Korea, somewhat poorly explained. But that game is pretty easy and I don't know if taking a game that's already hard and layering that on top of it would be good for my sanity.

I should see how much of the other souls games were actually in Japanese. I want to say most of the voice acting is in English in all versions. But I may well be wrong. The only real stopping block is that PSN Japan won't take an American card so I'd have to find a work around for that which may require me to buy $80 (I think the Japanese version costs about $71 US) in PSN cards leaving me with 9 yen I won't use.

Edit: Hmm. I wonder if Amazon Japan will take an American card to buy a Digital game? I know you can buy digital games on the American store.

Edit 2: It looks like Amazon Japan doesn't sell digital games or email psn points codes? If anyone who can read Japanese can offer any help I'd appreciate it.

Edit 3: It looks like I can use Paypal to but it for XBox One and that version might well be in English?!

Okay I got it downloading to my Xbox One! That I forgot I had in til this morning.

I used the second guide on this post if anyone wants to give it a go: http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-3-can-be-played-right-now-on-xbox-one-using-1766717126

Except I used this address instead of the US embassy:

Tenso address for Amazon account:
Postal Code: 120-0023
Prefecture: Tokyo-to
Street Address: 千住曙町42-4 TS627771転送コム (Split into 2 entries on amazon account)
Telephone Number: 03-5739-3341

Thanks! :D

I'll post about how it works out once the game is done downloading but otherwise I won't be posting about the game unless someone has a question. Unless I feel I need to warn people against preordering or something.