kaputt

Dark Souls 3 {Dark souls 2 successor [Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)]} (Bloodborne's something)

Apparently there will be no more Dark Souls after 3. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, would have hated for the series to become Assassins Creed.

Now all we need is a Demons Souls Remaster.

I just want this game to be good, to exceed my expectations. Please be good.

Please don't have any uninspired areas, bullshit enemies or fast travel from the start.

Potential spoiler for returning character

The big ass dude in the trailer is supposedly Gywn.

Do not want. That fight is my favourite moment in the series, let him be dead.

Potential spoiler for returning character

The big ass dude in the trailer is supposedly Gywn.

Do not want. That fight is my favourite moment in the series, let him be dead.

I'd read similar things based on the design, but unless something else has popped up, I'm not automatically convinced.  Though if that was the case, I'd agree with you.

Also, there's a Dark Souls 3 statue at E3 that fountains blood.  VIDEO GAMES!

Really apprehensive here. Dark Souls was delicious, but I thought we had put this series to rest with Bloodborne? This oddly feels like a step back, especially considering that the Souls games don't seem to take place at all in the same universe. So why bother with the title? If this really is a direct sequel to DS1's story, I'm interested, but I'm also curious how they'd do it considering the pretty final way the game ended (especially if you chose darkness over fire).

From reddit:

Dave (davecontrollive) had asked if the world would be more hub based (like Demons Souls), or more interconnected (like Dark Souls 1) or more of a hybrid like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2. Miyazaki responded by saying that maps are basically interconnected, and even clarified that he himself is taking the lead for the direction of level design (suuuper fucking hyped about that)

I'm back on board :P

If this really is a direct sequel to DS1's story, I'm interested, but I'm also curious how they'd do it considering the pretty final way the game ended (especially if you chose darkness over fire).

The dark ending wasn't any more final than rekindling the flame was, in fact, the dark ending might be the canon ending for 2 to exist.  Refusing to kindle the flame destroyed the power of Gwyn and the old gods and heralded in the age of Dark, also known as the age of Man, that creature the gods fear above all else.  Rekindling the flame just restarted the cycle with you in Gwyn's place and the old power structure intact. 

I'm fascinated by people who didn't rekindle. From what I recall, there's no direct clue that you can just walk out without lighting the bonfire, and bonfire lighting was completely entrained by that part of the game. See a bonfire - feel relief - light it - level - reward.

What on earth made people ignore that?!

Multiple playthroughs.

The game also trains you to explore every nook and cranny. And there's always going to be someone curious about what happens if you try to go back and explore the world some more.

The world serpent things in that game freak me the fuck out. Just trying to comprehend the place that they are reaching up from, and what the rest of them might be, totally gives me the heebie jeebies. What if it's all one organism?

Yeah, I was one of those weirdos that found Kaathe on my first playthrough but it didn't occur to me that there was any option other than lighting the bonfire.

Also, on the podcast Brad and Austin recorded with impressions on Dark Souls 3, Austin says the devs stated the game will revolve around the "Lord of Cinder" character, I guess that doesn't necessarily have to be Gwyn though, maybe just some other poor bastard keeping the cycle going.

Maybe that's you from the first game.

Dark Souls 3 will not be the final Souls game, but it will be the final dark fantasy themed Souls game.  This is pretty much exactly what I want to hear.

Also, Miyazaki has a co-director overseeing the more nuts and bolts parts of DS3, and DS2 director Tanimura will be on the project in some capacity.  I think this is also probably a good sign.  Miyazaki has the vision and world design, but he's got other people to depend on for some of the elements that they are better at than him. 

Dark Souls 3 will not be the final Souls game, but it will be the final dark fantasy themed Souls game.  This is pretty much exactly what I want to hear.

Also, Miyazaki has a co-director overseeing the more nuts and bolts parts of DS3, and DS2 director Tanimura will be on the project in some capacity.  I think this is also probably a good sign.  Miyazaki has the vision and world design, but he's got other people to depend on for some of the elements that they are better at than him. 

That's pretty good news. I would be happy with DS just ending and FROM getting behind a completely new IP, but with how much money the Souls games make for them, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Several pieces have been written about the demo that was shown at E3, which might be crossing over into spoiler territory for people who don't want to know too much about the world.  But there is some more good mechanics info in there too. 

— The agility stat from Dark Souls 2 is not returning.

Thank the heavens.  Agility as a stat wasn't a bad idea, but it was also annoying to have this stat that virtually every single build needed to invest in to have a minimum number of iFrames and item use speed.  I think a stat that's practically mandatory for a majority of classes is one that should be on the chopping block, and should just be innate or incorporated through other stats. 

Enemy despawning is gone too I heard, but warping from the start isn't. I hope that isn't indicative of the world design. Dark Souls 2 needed warping because you couldn't easily get from one place to another. Personally I wish it was more of a late game thing like Dark Souls. If you could warp from Blighttown to Darkroot just to farm some moss that would change the experience of going through that place so much.

I doubt it is, given that the designs of DeS and Bloodborne were still really good even with warping being included from the getgo (though their hubs).   I think the big problem with DS2 bonfires is that you couldn't go 10 minutes without tripping over one. 

There's also this whole possible new system about being able to create your own bonfires somehow.  If that's true, then I wouldn't be surprised if scripted bonfires are warpable, but quite rare, but made bonfires aren't. 

Polygon's coverage also noted this:

The torch from Dark Souls 2 returns. In Dark Souls 3, however, players can not only equip it to light up an area, they can also raise it higher to boost the effect.

Hopefully this means we'll get something closer to the lighting system that was originally promised for DS2.

For anyone who's interested Patrick "Medium Warm Scoops" Klepek did a stream of the beta test on his youtube channel. Here's a link that may or may not work: