Jake

Idle Thumbs 213: Build the Nublar

The Big Book of Absolutely, Completely Nothing is a great name for a children's book.

I think the Koopa Kids were quietly retconned out of the Bowser family when New Super Mario Brothers Wii came out.

There's also a scene in Super Mario Sunshine where Bowser Jr. refers to Princess Peach as "Mama Peach."

Not to mention alternate skins for Bowser Jr. in Smash 4. And I think they're all in the newest Mario Kart.

Danielle: I got it.

I also got it! You are not alone. Danielle, I love your commitment to keeping the Thumb jokes going. Keepin' it On Blade. PC DL.

Danielle: I got it.

Oh man!  I nodded and thought, "This is a reference to something I know nothing about," instead of the correct answer, "This is a reference to a film you've seen dozens of times."

The discussion on penis-centric games reminded me of this, from the upcoming game Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad?

7baa3iv.gif

I like Chris' story about BIG WARS.

I feel like the earliest example of that kind of silly attributes acronym is probably from DC's Captain Marvel, created in 1939, who shouts the name of the wizard Shazam to gain the wisdom of Solomon, strength of Hercules, stamina of Atlas, power of Zeus, courage of Achilles, and speed of Mercury. It`s dumb as fuck and I love it.

Belligerence

Intelligence

Grandiosity

Wisdom

Agility

Representation

Strength

BIGWARS

It can't have been that uncommon to play playground games based on video games, right? I definitely did it all the time with my friends when I was younger. When I was 6 I accidentally uppercutted my friend in the jaw while trying to show him the one move I knew how to do in Mortal Kombat and everyone hated me for the rest of the day. I can't remember any other specific instances, except when I was about 8 and we played Abe's Odyssey. That was more of an improvisational roleplay where some people were mudokon slaves and the others were slig guards, and the mudokons were trying to find ways to break free or take out guards. Sometimes someone would be a Glukkon boss and the sligs would follow him around. I've never thought of this as weird until I've had to put it into words.

Belligerence

Intelligence

Grandiosity

Wisdom

Agility

Representation

Strength

BIGWARS

I love all of Chris' childhood stories. I always figured that the first story, about his weird shady website and email for selling Warhammer models, was the best, but I'm continually led to doubt that nowadays. Anyway...

Body

Intelligence

Glamour

Wisdom

Agility

Recognition

Strength

When I was in the ninth grade, I played Baldur's Gate 2 over and over, beating it at least twice in a row. I had a friend who did the same, and every other night, we'd have two- or three-hour phone calls where we'd talk about what we did and what had happened to our parties. Being fourteen- or fifteen-year-old kids, we mostly focused on how we were progressing down our respective romance scripts, to the point that my parents thought for a short while that I was dating a girl named Aerie. They were somewhat disappointed when I found out and explained that it was a video game.

Also, a few years before that, I made a GURPS module for Star Trek: Voyager by myself and never shared it with anyone. Since I'd made it using photocopied pages of the core GURPS rulebook, I doubt it was very good at all, but it took me almost half a year to finish and I was extremely proud of it, because I thought it was something no one else could or would do. Star Trek's really niche, right? It only occurs to me now to check online and... yep! Ah well.

I downloaded that cat game and am now fully ruined.

I have a windows phone so I made my boyfriend who has an android download it and we check on our digital cats together while my real cat tries to eat his copy of Drown by Junot Diaz. (Inspired by real events.)

I have a windows phone so I made my boyfriend who has an android download it and we check on our digital cats together while my real cat tries to eat his copy of Drown by Junot Diaz. (Inspired by real events.)

People ignoring their real cats for in game cats is such a great thing.

There are people who love that movie, though. I've met them in real life!

They probably thought they were talking about Advent Children.

Oh you're right.

The original movie blew my mind with how good it looked at the time! That's literally all I remember about it.

Tf2's main menu has a Servers button that takes you straight to a traditional server browser...not sure see how that is overly complex...

Oh you're right.

The original movie blew my mind with how good it looked at the time! That's literally all I remember about it.

I re-watched The Spirits Within a few weeks ago.  I basically thought the same way you did but was surprised just how bad it looks now.  Ming Na's main character is grotesque—she doesn't have an interconnected face; her eyes remain motionless while her lips move.  This was the problem with the young Jeff Bridges in the recent Tron movie or LA Noire—they animate one part of the face well and forget the rest.  I remember some of the camerawork being inventive, too (James Woods's character in zero-G), but not compared to any other post-Dave/Forrest Gump computer-tracked camerawork.

I have the special edition DVD so maybe I'll just rewatch

instead!

I re-watched The Spirits Within a few weeks ago.  I basically thought the same way you did but was surprised just how bad it looks now.  Ming Na's main character is grotesque—she doesn't have an interconnected face; her eyes remain motionless while her lips move.  This was the problem with the young Jeff Bridges in the recent Tron movie or LA Noire—they animate one part of the face well and forget the rest.  I remember some of the camerawork being inventive, too (James Woods's character in zero-G), but not compared to any other post-Dave/Forrest Gump computer-tracked camerawork.

instead!

Haha I'm definitely not surprised to hear this. I should watch it again, too.

instead!

The faces in that video showed more animation and expressiveness than the entirety of the actual movie. It was like they were all wearing rubber masks.

Tf2's main menu has a Servers button that takes you straight to a traditional server browser...not sure see how that is overly complex...

I'm aware of that! I find it much less confusing and much more transparent than what seems to be their new-player-onboarding "just play" path.