mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

One of my main reasons for wanting to do this is that everything you build looks so destroyed, I want to build nice things.

Right on!  The only justification for why the game doesn't offer you pretty building materials is because then they'd have to justify why none of the NPCs slapped a coat of paint on anything in the last 200 years.

There is actully a build you're own vault mod that you can see in this video:

Looks a bit rough and not quite what you seem to be looking for Cordeos but I thought I'd point it out.

Oh and sorry if that youtuber is awful in ways I don't know about, it's hard to keep track these days.

The survival update is out on PC in beta form if anyone wants to check it out rather then waiting. Though it does rather amazing bug where if you use any mods everyone in the game will be bald so I don't know why you'd want to wait.

Have they announced a date for the GECK to be officially out? I know people have been hacking together mods using the Skyrim mod kit, but I'd love to start seeing some official stuff out there.

Sometime in April I think? The modding community has figured out how to get ESPs working though so it's pretty easy to add small stuff on the user's end already.

GECK should be released soon. I believe it is in beta right now, maybe open beta.

I also released my first mod with my first ever model and texture I made! https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12072/?

It's all very exciting, for me at least. The spec maps are really hard to make and I still haven't figured it out yet. I think right now it's one of the biggest things holding back my model.

Has anyone seen any articles or GDC talks about designing good levels or quests? I want to start writing and developing quest mods but I'd like to do some research on how to make a not-shit quest.

I am really liking Far Harbor. The story line is far more interesting, with more shades of grey than I saw in the first game. The new map isn't as different as I would have liked, but the content in it is good. The new vault is definitely worth a visit. I am excited to replay this DLC to see how different choices in the base game effect the new quests.

Boy the frame rate on PS4 stinks, its kinda ruining the new DLC for me. The frame rate sucks normally anyway, but the setting is pretty cool in Far Harbor but whenever i'm out walking or in combat the game feels sub 20 fps constantly.

I played through Far Harbor over the weekend, and enjoyed it. The writing on a couple quest points was a bit ambiguous about what they meant. I would want to resolve a thing one way, none of the options seemed like the thing I wanted, but then just doing one of them opened up those options even though it didn't really seem like they were related or dependent on one another. And at least one side quest didn't take my game's narrative state into account:

I don't know why a Courser would be after the synths when the Institute is nothing but a smoking crater.

I don't know why a Courser would be after the synths when the Institute is nothing but a smoking crater.

Maybe he was walking so didn't get there until now, but got deployed before :) I am interested to see how playing this with my insitute character and the courser companion will go

They need to do a better job with the randomly-generated quests, as well. The Railroad gives quests that are more or less "take this care package to the escaped synth at location X." The first one I did put the synth right in the middle of a raider hideout, though the raiders didn't seem to know he existed. The second one not only put the synth in a ghoul-infested cave (the ghouls also ignored her), but that cave was up in Far Harbor. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like putting in a few limiting parameters (only cleared locations, only in the Commonwealth) wouldn't be all that complicated a thing to do.

it seems like putting in a few limiting parameters (only cleared locations, only in the Commonwealth) wouldn't be all that complicated a thing to do.

Situationally, depending on what type of mission it is, I can see how doing that would make sense, but I think part of the motivation of the missions (besides just giving you something to do), is to try to get you to visit areas of the map you haven't yet visited or wouldn't otherwise have a reason to visit, right?

Situationally, depending on what type of mission it is, I can see how doing that would make sense, but I think part of the motivation of the missions (besides just giving you something to do), is to try to get you to visit areas of the map you haven't yet visited or wouldn't otherwise have a reason to visit, right?

I could see that as an intent, but if it is, it's not apparent. The first hiding-synth location was the Gwynnet (?) Brewery, a place that I've been to and cleared out numerous times. The second location was a place I'd been to, but not fully explored. It also doesn't make sense to me for the Railroad missions, specifically. The synths are supposed to be runaways who are hiding and need help to reach a safe spot. Having areas be a bit hazardous is fine, but in both instances they were just wandering around an extremely dangerous environment, being COMPLETELY ignored by enemies. Like a pit full of corpses and inactive, lying-in-wait ghouls that don't flip to an aggressive state until I stop sneaking and are only interested in attacking me.

Hey all, my wife and I started playing through this recently and she's loving the settlement building stuff - but the UI is truly atrocious for laying out buildings. Does anyone have any recommendations on mods that make that part a little easier?