mikemariano

Fallout 4 — Boston Makes Me Feel Good

Is it too late to set the Idle Thumbs Winter Gamejam in the Fallout 4 pipboy?

Unfortunately, after some more fiddling, I can't figure out how to change any of the code; all I can do is replace images.  Probably gonna have to wait for the full editor to come out in the spring to make more games. That said (Edit: Nevermind, you can totally just make a game in Flash and drop it in) if anyone really wants to replace the images in all the pip boy games let me know and I can give you instructions I guess??

Edit: Alright I made my first Fallout 4 mod. Donkey Kong/Red Menace ROM hack.

Kn2KdIs.gif

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa3zni369y3hd2k/fo4_dk.zip

I really need to find the Fallout alternative universe equivalent of a Torx set. I feel like devices should have more screws than I am able to get by scrapping them.

Everything's manufactured by Apple in the future, so you need a good pentalobe driver.

Oh, okay, so I'll follow these other quests and they'll eventually funnel back together? That's cool, thanks.

Yeah it's like New Vegas in that regard

Does anybody else think the settlers are a bit too sensitive? I was just walking around the castle in my power armor and jumped down to the floor next to a brahmin. There's a stun effect or something when you ground-pound like that, the brahmin got startled and the settlers got upset and immediately started shooting at me.

Earlier, there was a similar but different encounter: I got a notification that raiders were attacking the castle. I got there, and saw that they were approaching in a pretty big group.

I threw an artillery smoke grenade at them, and they opened fire. All of my settlers came out to fight them, and the raiders were dispatched pretty quick. But then the artillery finally moved into place and started bombarding the settlers that went out to fight. My settlers got mad at me and started shooting at my companions and I. We had to execute them all, which did more damage to the base than the raider party... I ended up reloading that save.

Also, a note on selling stuff: dealing with the inventory can be a real pain for sure, having to decide what to upgrade, what to scrap, and what to sell. I built like 5 containers next to my workshop in the castle and use those to organize my stuff. One is a crate full of guns that I'm going to sell eventually, one is a set of alternate weapons, another contains all my armor, etc. Every few missions I'll put all of my equipped stuff into one of the crates, grab everything I'm going to sell, and hit up a few different stores to sell all the stuff I don't need.

Last one*, I promise

6SVcPhf.gif

*until I make a proper Fallout 4 pip boy games mod

Edit:

Kotaku put up an article about how bad the UI in Fallout 4 is, and I learned this tidbit:

"Did you know, for instance, the brackets around the word HIDDEN actually indicate how hidden you are? The closer they pull to your character, the less hidden you are."

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4s-user-interface-is-truly-terrible-1743826375

By the way, the endgame fucking sucks. It's making me so mad. You basically have to pick a faction and stick with it. I've been doing brotherhood stuff this whole time, but I just got a mission where I had to defend the castle against an institute attack. Once I successfully fended it off, it failed my last brotherhood mission for seemingly no reason. Similarly, there's a railroad quest for breaking out some synths where one of the mission objectives is to "continue working with Father," but it doesn't tell you how or what exactly to do. That kind of open-ended objective is just garbage. I continued on with my other quests and it just failed me at that one eventually.

So whoever said it would be very clear, no, there ARE a few very clear times when you have to pick sides, but there are other times where if you go too far with one faction it will fail your other faction quests without giving you a reason why.

Also, that castle attack was ruined by the fact that any time you accidentally hurt a settler, literally every one opens fire on you. That means no explosions, for the most part.

Accidentally stumbled into the Glowing Sea after hearing about it for awhile. Shocked and a little disappointed to learn that it was not an actual sea, as far as I can tell. Looks fantastic from the brief glance I got tho.

I was hyping myself up for some sort of radioactive spooky Sunless Sea style adventuring out there :(
I'm realizing more and more that I want more spooky eldritch H.P. Lovecraft horror in this Massachusetts setting, despite how that likely wouldn't jive with the rest of the world. 

I was hyping myself up for some sort of radioactive spooky Sunless Sea style adventuring out there :(

I'm realizing more and more that I want more spooky eldritch H.P. Lovecraft horror in this Massachusetts setting, despite how that likely wouldn't jive with the rest of the world. 

There are locations in Fallout 3 and 4 that are references to Dunwich (Dunwich Building in 3, Dunwich Borers in 4), so it wouldn't be that out of place.

There are locations in Fallout 3 and 4 that are references to Dunwich (Dunwich Building in 3, Dunwich Borers in 4), so it wouldn't be that out of place.

Ya I remember the one from three and happily went through the Borers. Was honestly a pretty creepy dungeon once you get to the second half. The ambiance there sounds a lot like something breathing heavily.

Also, is my game bugged or does setting a settler to trader status increase the likelihood of them being kidnapped? I have had three kidnappings so far from the same settlement each time, with the same individual being kidnapped each time. I'm getting tired of helping this idiot. I gave his wife an artillery cannon! Let her deal with it. Keep a better eye on him or something.

I finally found a full set of X-01 power armor and modded it up to Mark VI, so I spent some time taking down a few sentry bots and super mutant areas that had given me trouble before.

Anyone try any good mods yet? I've been playing with a couple graphics optimization mods that smoothed out performance a bit. Also tried the "More Where That Came From" radio mod that's supposed to add a bunch of new songs to Diamond City Radio, but in my install it just removed all the music from the station so it's just endless news blurbs from Travis.

I found the end game disappointing, because my way of resolving it was not possible.

I was with the railroad, and found out that I would be the next director; why couldn't I wait until Shaun died, and peacefully resolve the synth situation then? 

Thanks to my destruction of the Brotherhood blimp thing, I was in a situation where I could either nuke the institute or kill the railroad. I've done both, and there is remarkably little difference in the cinematic, but obviously a huge difference in situation!

Now I am looking forward to creating crazy characters and messing around; the story line is never a real draw for me anyway :). I am curious to see what the DLC brings; I've had mixed feelings about previous DLCs from Fallout ... loved Point Lookout, not so fond of Mothership Zeta. I suppose it's too much to hope for something like Old World Blues, because that was Obsidian

Also tried the "More Where That Came From" radio mod that's supposed to add a bunch of new songs to Diamond City Radio, but in my install it just removed all the music from the station so it's just endless news blurbs from Travis.

Ahhhhh that is super exciting to me, I looked it up and it's by the same guy who did the More Where That Came From mod for Fallout 3, which I abolutely loved (and still listen to sometimes) http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/637/?

Ya I remember the one from three and happily went through the Borers. Was honestly a pretty creepy dungeon once you get to the second half. The ambiance there sounds a lot like something breathing heavily.

Also, is my game bugged or does setting a settler to trader status increase the likelihood of them being kidnapped? I have had three kidnappings so far from the same settlement each time, with the same individual being kidnapped each time. I'm getting tired of helping this idiot. I gave his wife an artillery cannon! Let her deal with it. Keep a better eye on him or something.

I haven't had any kidnappings yet.

I found the end game disappointing, because my way of resolving it was not possible.

That was essentially my problem with it. It let me role play until it didn't.

However, I will say that the end really fucked with me emotionally. No spoilers, but I will say that the writing and choices in the game are good enough that they caused me to engage in some genuine introspection about my actions. It's not like a movie where it's all pathos and stuff at the end and you feel sympathetic for the characters... that shit was me, and I have to live with my decisions. It was weird, and honestly no other game has made me feel that before. So I guess I liked it.

I haven't had any kidnappings yet.

He got kidnapped again last night. Fourth time. I tried to give him all the best weapons I can, maybe that'll help? I'll bring him power armor next time.

That was essentially my problem with it. It let me role play until it didn't.

However, I will say that the end really fucked with me emotionally. No spoilers, but I will say that the writing and choices in the game are good enough that they caused me to engage in some genuine introspection about my actions. It's not like a movie where it's all pathos and stuff at the end and you feel sympathetic for the characters... that shit was me, and I have to live with my decisions. It was weird, and honestly no other game has made me feel that before. So I guess I liked it.

Without going into spoilers again, I got to a point where I could access two final missions. I agree with you for  one of the endings (the one where I earned it more); the other one was a real anticlimax, both in carrying out the mission, and the pay off. Maybe I was so eager to take the easier option because of my unease after the harder one? I was agonising for a long time which option to take, because I cared about people on both sides, so good job Bethesda! 

I'm really disappointed with the lack of quantity/variety with the vaults. FO3 and New Vegas had a pretty good number of vaults, and most of them had weird or interesting things going on inside when you found them. In FO4 there are 5 vaults, including 111, and although they all still have interesting back story with their experimental purposes, there's almost nothing happening when you get to them in-game. One vault (81) has something actually neat and surprising. Vault 111 is just filled with cryo pods. 114 is different enough to be intriguing, but there's not much else. And the other two vaults have just been trashed by raiders. Exploring vaults was one of my favorite parts of the last two games, and it bums me out that there's so little to find in FO4.

Yesterday I jumped into the power armor for the first time since the beginning to tackle the Glowing Sea. I liked the feeling of wandering into a hostile environment a lot.

When my friends ask me about the game, I answer something along the lines of "It is buggy and unpolished, but the world is very immersive and...". A while ago, I started thinking about how many bugs I have actually encountered, and could remember only some minor physics/geometry related glitches every now and then. I'm sure that the bugs are still lurking somewhere, though, and that, up to this point, I have just been lucky and/or careful not to upset the world. It's a weird thing when you start to feel responsible for the wellbeing of the game world.

the worst bug I've encountered so far is I got sent by Preston to speak to a settler about raiders that had been harassing a town

but...

1) the town was Sanctuary Hills and I was right there when talking to him about it

2) the settler I was supposed to talk to about it was by the freaking drive-in, nowhere near town

3) he was already dead when I got there and the quest marker won't go away...

but I think this is just one of them radiant/infinitely generating quests so its probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Also some settlement bugs where resources go missing on data tab for far away settlements, causing drop in happiness.

Soon as you get to the settlement though it shows correct resources.

That and I had one crash.  Pretty freaking stable IMO.

Also I'm really sad that in my Commonwealth, Lucy Abernathy is dead.  Her corpse just laying next to the bench to forever haunt me of the fact that I took on the quest to rescue her for the third time but took too long which ended in quest failing.

I'm level 53, have a fully maxed out set on Enclave armor, a radioactive laser Gatling gun which is also fully maxed out as far as damage and skills go, and about 80 Fusion cells, along with the skills maxed to make them last forever. I am the biggest tank in the world and just killed a legendary deathclaw in a "stand there and take it, blow for blow" style match.

Guess I should go start the main quest huh?

Up to 10 suits of power armor docked in The Castle too!

I also find that it's not that buggy.  It's janky, and that's very different and wholly acceptable IMO.  The game doesn't stop of break (at least not yet) and it's not like we're under the impression that this shit is real life, so if a guys arm glitches through the door, it doesn't bother me .   This is only "buggy" or janky compared to other huge AAA games, and most of those games might be "open world" but really only let you performed very specific, sort of "on rails" tasks in a larger environment.  You generally can't pick up everything ever, shoot whoever, interrupt everyo convo, even click on everyone to talk, pickpocket everyone, etc.  While the look of it is approaching more of a AAA console action game (kinda....) this is still very much just a first person translation of an old school PC RPG with some concessions for modernity (a little less dialogue choice since it's all voice acted, less stat heavy fighting) and it still gives me the feeling that playing Daggerfall or Baldur's Gate did back in the day.  

I just finished the Silver Shroud quest and I have completely decided that the female voice acting is TONS better than the Male voice acting.  My wife and I are both playing through the game, and whenever she chooses the sarcastic dialogue option for her female character, she sounds hilarious, but every time I have my male character choose that option, he sounds like a douchebag.  Do you guys agree?  or do i just hate men?

I realized that since I'm spending so much time modding my gear, crafting stuff and sorting my inventory, I might as well take a look into the base building stuff and try to make home feel more cozy. Now I am worried about stuff like bushes clipping through floors, not being able to place bottles in Nuka Cola vending machines and lights programming requiring completely separate power grid for each set of lights connected to a terminal.

Oh and there is no way to sync the interval switches!? What is this shit?!?!

2015-11-28_00004.jpg

2015-11-28_00007.jpg

I'd hesitate to even call some of the stuff in Bethesda games "bugs". They're more like quirks of the engine and scope of the game that come together in unexpected and potentially frustrating ways. Like the time Piper was standing perfectly inside a corn stalk so that I couldn't talk to her from any angle.

post-34045-0-95688600-1448748189_thumb.jpg